Painting over Chrome?

twizzle

Devil may care...
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any tips? Is it even possible?? Would acid etch work like with Alloy??

Could I use Hammerite or Smoothright??

I do have some chrome bits and bobs that I could test, but thought I'd seen if any body has any views???

Quick google seems to point towards "epoxy primers"

Any one have any real life experience.?

i reckon you'll need to sandblast the chrome off first.

Be careful if you are dealing with proper chromium plate. Once surface damaged to the extent that the steel is showing, chrome becomes a 'rust promoter' and accelerates the rusting of the steel underneath.

As a kid, you'd often see cars on which the bumpers had rusted away leaving just a chrome plate skin .....

I don't think it's a good idea, we abrade all surfaces to be painted to provide a good key for the paint, that's going to be difficult with chrome, so the paint will not adhere properly.

Any tips? Is it even possible?? Would acid etch work like with Alloy??

Could I use Hammerite or Smoothright??

I do have some chrome bits and bobs that I could test, but thought I'd seen if any body has any views???

Why not get the bits powder coated Twizzle? You may be surprised how cheap it is.

Any tips for painting rusty header pipes? :nenau

:eek:

Attachments

• rusty headers1.JPG
    rusty headers1.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 550
I sought advice on the subject of painting over chrome and the consensus was to get it blasted, so that’s what I’ve just had done on a set of suspension springs and wishbone arms. Am about to paint them so will update if there’s a subsequent problem.

IMG_0564_zpsd82ed75c.jpg

DVE_7764_zps1ca1f451.jpg

DVE_7765_zpsf7e93aed.jpg

R

As a kid, you'd often see cars on which the bumpers had rusted away leaving just a chrome plate skin .....

As a 10 year old kid i saw many another kid get bad cuts from said chrome flake when playing around with dumped cars .
It gave all my mates and i the impression that it was stuck on.

I remember us all going around the bicycle shops trying to get some chrome tape for our pushbikes :D

Back
Top Bottom