Thinking of buying a le mans

bandit

Reaction score
Im thinking of buying a lemans mk3

Seems they are good value at between 2 and 3k

Any advice on what i should look out for ?

just the normal smokey rattley kind of stuff you'd look for on any bike. they are pretty robust bikes, with no real issues. um, maybe rotty exhausts.

UJs can wear, but you may be hard pressed to tell from riding it.

i had a mkIII, it was a really nice bike, rode really well. arguably better made than earlier models, mine was. on the downside, they don't look as nice, but a fraction of the cost :)

I had a Mk 2, blew the tail light bulbs frequently - prolly excessive throbbing. If I had any advice it would be look for a Mk 1 - doubt that is particularly helpful mind. Good luck.

Not a bad bike and decent money compared to MK1&2.

-Engine bolt front can seize PITA if it does
-shaft UJ fairly robust and will give warning through footrest when it's about to go (40k on mine).
-Electrics not as fabled most of the big components are German just watch for a few decades of bodging - that's what does for 'em
-goes through control cables for a hobby (tape spares in place)
-helps to have hands like shovels if not change the levers:)

I owned a mk 2 for couple of year in the 80's, covered about 10,000 mile with few serious problems, tho electrics were reputed to be problem area.
Two observations, if battery is suspect they are even more diff to bump-start than the GS and the front engine mounting bolt (steel) had habit of welding itself to alloy engine block if not watched... Oh, and it was very long bike incredibly stable at speed but not too good for frequent u-turns in S.London.
Regretted selling it immensely

Had my mk2 since 81. Cracking bike but I don't think I'm tough enough to do more than a days riding on it any more. Rewarding but hard work. Clutch, throttle and firm suspension wear me out. Need to keep the electric clean. Eats throttle cables. Get too enthusiastic and over-rev it and you'll bend an exhaust valve. Easy to replace though. Mine leaks oil if I use synthetic, likes bog standard 20/50. Easy to maintain. Destroyed one uj at about 35k, current one has done about 50k so?

I owned a Mk 1 then a Mk3 back in the day - the Mk3 was a (slightly) better bike, mainly better acceleration, but the same (huge) strengths and (small) weaknesses, as per previous comments on this thread.

As a LeMans for actually using they are cracking value still.

They also had a slightly longer swing arm, which accentuates the stability/pain at doing U turn thing you find in all Tonti framed Guzzis of that era.

Go for it!

Oh, and slightly lighter throttle springs (don't overdo it) and Venhill cables helps - I have a Lemans engined T3 now and it hasn't used one cable in 4 years (said it now! :blast)

Dave

Gootsi

well done and welcome to the realm of the Guzzitsi!!

Only took a year! :D

Photos please

Just bought me a mk 1. :bounce1:bounce1

Oh Ffs where's your manners, you can't just drop a bombshell like that into the conversation, without posting lots of pictures :cool:

I have a LM2 well actually I have 2, but I am gathering bits to build up the second, I wanted a 3 as well, better in every way, but like all the early LM's the riding position takes a bit of getting used to, charging systems have the same issues as airheads, because they use the same components, my 91 Gs is running a guzzi stator, they are simple and easy to work on, the UJ's need dunked in oil overnight every 20k or so, wiring and bodging can make them unreliable and huge money pits, but you can buy new looms, I have rewired a few using modern switchgear and it improves the reliability!

Mk1's are to expensive compared to mk2's and 3's though,

I am making my rebuild project into a V7 type with light cafe racer touches, 70's V7 not the modern luvvie copy!

I had a Mk 2, blew the tail light bulbs frequently - prolly excessive throbbing. If I had any advice it would be look for a Mk 1 - doubt that is particularly helpful mind. Good luck.

:agree

Congratulations and I'm just a teeny bit jealous :beerjug:

Pics asap !!

it is currently being worked on.

A few teaser pictures

IMG_0086-M.jpg

IMG_0084-M.jpg

IMG_0082-M.jpg

looks like the brakes have been delinked.

I thought that, I actually prefer the linked brakes, part of what makes a LM, you quickly get used to stomping on the pedal and slowing down, besides I find the stretch to the lever a bit far to get the best pull on it!

i was going to do mine, then, like you, i realised i liked them linked.

I Had one a few years back ( 1982 Y plate)

Sounded Awesome

Looked much better for the addition of a Spitfire Racing Fairing & Lafranconi Silencers

BUT Very little about the size of an old Honda 250cc Wet Dream :rolleyes:

& the Linked Brakes were Good !

1983_Le_mans_MkIII_3.JPG

1983_Le_mans_MkIII.JPG

Back
Top Bottom