Recently traded up from K1200S to K1300S, some thoughts...

Dogbytes

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of upgrading?

I've read a couple of threads, here and elsewhere, started by people who own K1200 S's and are considering moving up to a K1300 S as their bikes get older. After a considerable amount of consideration and test riding we (my wife and I) have recently done just that and thought we'd share our feelings on the matter.

We'd had the K1200 S for about two and a half years having bought it with about 17k on the clock - that having increased to just over 50k when we part-ex'd it for the new one. It was an early K12, late 2005, and came with ABS, ESA, heated grips, Akrapovic and sports luggage. We both loved it which was just as well as the bike is our only transport and we use it all year round. It was, without doubt, the best bike I'd ever owned - reliable (if expensive to maintain), comfortable and very, very quick.

Anyway, what with service loan bikes, recreational test rides, etc. we had ridden quite a few K1300 S's and, although initially I wasn't that impressed, they did start to grow on me. The last four or so we rode we're definitely an improvement and so, pushed firmly in that direction by Charlotte (the perfect wife!) I agreed to relinquish the beloved 12 in favour of a 13.

I should add, at this point, that we did consider other options. As the bike is our only transport, lives outside and gets ridden all year round, it's got to be a BMW and though we've tried other models we really don't get on with them. Charlotte is too short to fit comfortably on a K16 and finds herself sitting too far forwards, also she is concerned that they're to big to filter through traffic, and she doesn't like the passenger riding position of GS's. She finds that the forward position of the rider of the K1200/1300 S leaves her plenty of space on the back and is happy with its abilities in traffic. You may think that this paragraph is a bit wife-heavy but it's been my experience, over the years, that if one's passenger is comfortable and happy then one gets to spend more time on the bike!

Having made the decision we then had to find a bike we both liked. Now for Charlotte this was simple. As long as the bike was a K1300 S with a quick shifter (smoother changes) she was happy. Since I have rarely seen one without a quick shifter that was easy. For me it was a little more difficult, K13's can vary quite a lot in their performance, their suspension behaviour (although, on consideration, that might have more to do with tyres - they do not like worn tyres) and an indefinable 'feel'. The nicest ones I'd ever ridden we're the 'HP Edition' and the '30th Anniversary' edition - both of which came with HP footrests but also had that overall 'feel' I was after. Unfortunately we couldn't justify a brand new one and we'd just missed an ex-demo Anniversary bike (we did have it for a week on loan though :D) so we eventually settled on an ex-demo (VAT qualifying) example, first registered in September 2012 and with a little under 4k on the clock.

So we are now the proud owners of a black K1300 S Sport with ABS (of course), ESA, heated grips, TPC, computer, dark tinted screen, etc. etc. we transferred the sports luggage and the satnav off the K12 and we got a rear carrier fitted because Charlotte likes the passenger grip position better. Having had it a month now and covered a little over 2600 miles, here are my thoughts.

The bike is much more refined.
The brakes are a little better - they have a bit more feel.
The suspension is very different, there are changes to the front suspension components to reduce unsprung weight and it is fitted with ESA 2. I'm not familiar with the technical aspects of ESA 2 but the preload settings suit us better (the settings on the 12 we're too soft in 'Comfort' and harsh in 'Sport') and the front deals much better with road irregularities - I don't get beaten up by some of the road surfaces I encounter on the way to work every morning.
Not having an Akropovic can, it is quieter which is strangely refreshing but means I tend to hold it about a thousand revs higher in gears.
The shift assist (quick shifter) is one of those things you think you'd never pay extra for (like ESA) but once you've tried it it is rather addictive!
Traction control is reassuring in the current weather conditions - especially early morning post 'hurricane' when the road seemed to be composed entirely of twigs and soggy leaves.
The seat is weird! It is like no other K13 seat I've sat on. It appears to have a gel insert, or something, which you have to balance on top of - but it's very comfortable.
Engine. Well yes, that is a lot of engine. It's fuelling is MUCH more refined. The popping and banging and general fussing of the K12 (aided and abetted by the Akrapovic, no doubt) was amusing but a bit juvenile at times. This one has flawless engine management. Needless to say, it is quick. It sometimes doesn't feel as quick as the 12 did because it doesn't have those noticeable steps at 4k and 7k revs that the 12 did - it is far more see less in its delivery than that. Don't be fooled though - at higher speeds top-gear roll-on is in a different league. I'd say it's probably 10% quicker and uses 10% less fuel. Can't be bad.
Handling is different too. Now I like big bikes. I like bikes I can move around on and I don't mind having to muscle them through the twisties. The K12 hid its bulk very well but it could take a little persuasion to hold a tight line through a corner. The K13 is not like that at all - the handling is very neutral and it goes exactly where it's pointed. This should be a good thing and I'm sure it will be once I'm used to it but, at the moment, it leaves me feeling a little worried that there is something I should be doing whilst it glides serenely through the bends. It's a little sterile. There is another downside. Let's speak 'hypothetically' here. Say you were cruising on a nice 'A' road at, perhaps, 140mph, the K12 would be feeling very planted and with plenty in reserve. You'd feel you could drive from one side of the continent to the other without any drama. At the same speeds the K13 would not feel nearly so reassuring, it will feel slightly vague and require constant attention. Feasible it is, relaxing it isn't. The K13 does use a different size back tyre, it uses a 190/55 17 rather than a 190/50 17 and it may all be down to that - but I don't think so. I have noticed weird behaviour from 13's before at these speeds but I've always put it down to tyre wear, I look forward to investigating further...
Speaking of tyres, I got another puncture (#5 this year). This time though the TPC or RDC or whatever it's called - the tyre pressure monitoring system, let me know well before it became a problem and I didn't get stranded beside the A34 late at night. Worthwhile addition.
If I had a major gripe about the bike it would have to be the switchgear. Leaving aside, for the moment, the issue of the downgrading from BMW indicator switches to Japanese-style ones, the ergonomics of the new switches are appalling! Gone are the old rocker switches - big, easily located without looking, replaced by tiny push button thingies which you need to (a) find in the first place and (b) look at the instruments to check whether, for example, your heated grips are on and if so, at which setting. Then there is the issue of actually pushing the said buttons - they don't seem to line up with any of my fingers! Not all of them, anyway. Of course they don't seem to work very well anyway but BMW have promised to replace them - once they've managed to make sufficient of them...

Okay, I've gone on long enough. The bottom line? It's a great bike. It is a worthwhile improvement in almost every respect. It is faster, smoother, easier to ride, more comfortable and more economical. It isn't perfect, but what is? If you want to take a bike out on the odd sunny Sunday, I'd say hang onto your K1200 S but if you want to do more than that then go get a K1300 S.

Nice review and I enjoyed reading it.

Having gone from a 1200GSA to a K1200GT I am only two days into ownership so the change is considerable.

I have a similar seat, when you get on it feels like you're sitting on a cushion but it is very comfy.

Oodles of power and I'm yet to take it past 5K on the revs as still getting used to it.

Enjoy your new bike :beerjug:

Jon :)

Thanks Jon, enjoy yours too.

Wait until you get to 7k rpm - that's when it all gets a bit silly, especially if your in 4th at the time when it has enough power to accelerate extremely quickly and is in a high enough gear to end up at a very high speed:D

The only problem is that, whilst I love the idea of boxer twins (I still have my project R80ST) and loved my GSs, it is now very difficult to ride one without getting frustrated. It's the sheer effortless of the K's which seduces.

great review

Hope to compare with my own new bike soon. the k13s looks amazing in black. Been through a K1600GT to R1200gs LC and now K1300s Anniversary so looking forward to spending a longer time with this beast. The mods I am planning are to install the sw motech luggage rack with adapter for my givi top box and the bmw tank bag and some crash protectors. The colours look so rich and deep that I might also add a bagster/baglux tank protector.I agree with what you say about the switch gear, mine were replaced twice on the k1600gt and this was one of the reasons I lost faith in an otherwise super bike once the warranty expired.safe riding

Attachments

• photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 9,001
mini test

very poor conditions today, winter sun interspersed with very heavy rain showers. did a mix of motorway and very rural costal road. very impressed with the bike. Better wind protection than I had expected. less gizmos than either k1600 or lc. Apart from the really rough road, the K13 handles everything with aplomb. Didn't bother using Comfort mode on the ESA even though this would have softened up the bumpy stuff. Looking forward to testing it in dry conditions but probably won't see dry for 6 months. Still had a smile. Sounds gorgeous :D

Have a K1200S and I think that it's great. Always puts a smile on my face especially the pure grunt. Up till now every overtake that I've looked at has happened. So quick that they don't have time to flash.:thumb

Have resisted trying the K1300S because I don't want to get rid of mine which I would have to if it was not as good as the K1300S.

I have to admit that if finances had allowed I would have kept my 12 too. It wasn't as quick as a 13 but it felt quicker because of the power delivery. Highly entertaining! :D

Hope to compare with my own new bike soon. the k13s looks amazing in black. Been through a K1600GT to R1200gs LC and now K1300s Anniversary so looking forward to spending a longer time with this beast. The mods I am planning are to install the sw motech luggage rack with adapter for my givi top box and the bmw tank bag and some crash protectors. The colours look so rich and deep that I might also add a bagster/baglux tank protector.I agree with what you say about the switch gear, mine were replaced twice on the k1600gt and this was one of the reasons I lost faith in an otherwise super bike once the warranty expired.safe riding

We had an Anniversary for a week, as a loan bike, a couple of months ago. Great bike, liked it. I may have to get a set of those HP footrests. Enjoy!:)

Thinking of upgrading?

Let's speak 'hypothetically' here. Say you were cruising on a nice 'A' road at, perhaps, 140mph, the K12 would be feeling very planted and with plenty in reserve. You'd feel you could drive from one side of the continent to the other without any drama. At the same speeds the K13 would not feel nearly so reassuring, it will feel slightly vague and require constant attention. Feasible it is, relaxing it isn't. The K13 does use a different size back tyre, it uses a 190/55 17 rather than a 190/50 17 and it may all be down to that - but I don't think so. I have noticed weird behaviour from 13's before at these speeds but I've always put it down to tyre wear, I look forward to investigating further...

Today we did a quick return trip to Cornwall - about five hundred miles in all. I am delighted to report that, even with luggage (Sports cases and Softbag small 2) and the lovely Charlotte on board, all was well and entirely undramatic at Very High speeds.

BMW k1300s

I have had my K1300s for 18 months now and i have enjoyed it to the max. Im very supprised I've not had the long arm of the law behind me as its a very quick bike.

I have commuted, Toured, and even done a half day on a track !

I do agree about the tyres, slightly worn and the bike is a bit of a nightmare. The seat is fine and comfy all day long. I don't agree on the stability you mentioned never felt unstable. Quick shifter i probably would not say no but i find if i preload the gear leaver and a cm of clutch and it slips straight in.
I go for the michelin pilot road threes which are probably the best rubber on the planet. I did try the Metzeler Z6 but no where near as good as PR3s
Had a the final drive leak for no apparent reason. Recently just had the bike suffer with cut out which is a bit of an on going problem BMW dealer ignoring the switch problem. Last service the brake pads were changed which meant a bill of £450 for the 24k service- not cheap !

Gone for the 25mm bar risers which makes it even more comfortable. I tried the MRA touring screen which is good but prefer the Givi screen

Taken outside J & M Motos in Portugal

1013899_10151726561022363_1376540873_n.jpg

Jim:thumb

I have had my K1300s for 18 months now and i have enjoyed it to the max. Im very supprised I've not had the long arm of the law behind me as its a very quick bike.

I have commuted, Toured, and even done a half day on a track !

I do agree about the tyres, slightly worn and the bike is a bit of a nightmare. The seat is fine and comfy all day long. I don't agree on the stability you mentioned never felt unstable. Quick shifter i probably would not say no but i find if i preload the gear leaver and a cm of clutch and it slips straight in.
I go for the michelin pilot road threes which are probably the best rubber on the planet. I did try the Metzeler Z6 but no where near as good as PR3s
Had a the final drive leak for no apparent reason. Recently just had the bike suffer with cut out which is a bit of an on going problem BMW dealer ignoring the switch problem. Last service the brake pads were changed which meant a bill of £450 for the 24k service- not cheap !

Gone for the 25mm bar risers which makes it even more comfortable. I tried the MRA touring screen which is good but prefer the Givi screen

Taken outside J & M Motos in Portugal

1013899_10151726561022363_1376540873_n.jpg

Jim:thumb

I've been considering bar risers but, as long as I don't have to spend too much time in traffic, the air pressure sorts out the problem as it's only my hands that suffer. What I'd really like are bars which rotate, on an eccentric cam - to a high position below, say, 50mph and then down to normal position over 50! :D

I had a call from my dealer yesterday saying that my new switchgear is in. Now I just need to figure out when I can get there to get it fitted.

My last four sets of tyres have been Michelin a Pilot Road 3s and, unless a Pilot Road 4 suddenly appears, I can't see that changing. Great in the wet and superb mileage. Mine definitely feels 'squirmy' though - and it's at all speeds and never gets worse. The front end always feels like it is on marbles when it's upright or at moderate lean angles. Once it's over its fine. I've probably developed a fixation about it which, hopefully, I'll get over soon:)

On the trip to Cornwall and back, last Monday, I finally got used to its ability to hold a line in corners and the going was quicker and more relaxed.
We've now done 4200 miles in six weeks so it won't be long before it too is due a service - especially as I'll be doing the Cornwall trip more often. For the record, I once had a service on the K1200S which needed front brake pads and discs. I seem to remember the pads and discs alone being £660 but it may have been the whole service. They are economical on fuel and tyres (PR3s, anyway) but they aren't cheap to look after. However if you look at the running costs of anything with comparable performance I imagine they'd be pretty similar.

In all honesty I find its a price worth paying (partly because I get the VAT back and it's all tax deductible anyway) because I firmly believe they are not only the best bikes in the BMW range but the best bikes in the world today. I think that if BMW stops producing them (which might happen as nothing else uses this motor) then they'd better have something bloody good in mind to replace it with! IMHO the motor, etc can stay as it is and if they fitted the new dynamic damping and the down-as-well-as-up quick shifter (from the new RT) then that would be the icing on the cake.

Or maybe they could do the above and wedge in the rumoured Ricardo tweaked 6 cylinder motor - it's only 20kg heavier than the 1300 and I could live with that. I mean, I could do with losing 10kg myself and then it's only another 10 in total... :)

My K1200S was as cheap or cheaper than my R1200's to service, especially as it didn't need the valves checking until the 18k service as I remember :nenau

The front discs and pads were changed at the 12k service, but the discs were replaced FOC under warranty as they were slightly warped (probably due to the good thrashing it'd recently had in the Pyrenees and Alps :D )

I miss the performance of my 2009 K1300S, which I traded for a 90th edition R1200RT.

The RT is much better for my Carpal tunnels and has better luggage, but it's nothing compared to the fun and adrenalin rush the K1300S had. I always thought of it as the wise mans Ducati. 175 bhp, BMW build and reliability. I had both switchgears replaced under warranty, the Lambda sensor and drive end bearings changed under the extended warranty. I did 14k miles on it, but that was mainly two up touring as I have an F800GS.

Anyway if anyone is interested I have a Corbin heated seat and lava orange storage pod for sale.

I miss the performance of my 2009 K1300S, which I traded for a 90th edition R1200RT.

The RT is much better for my Carpal tunnels and has better luggage, but it's nothing compared to the fun and adrenalin rush the K1300S had. I always thought of it as the wise mans Ducati. 175 bhp, BMW build and reliability. I had both switchgears replaced under warranty, the Lambda sensor and drive end bearings changed under the extended warranty. I did 14k miles on it, but that was mainly two up touring as I have an F800GS.

Anyway if anyone is interested I have a Corbin heated seat and lava orange storage pod for sale.

I admit that I did have a dilemma. I nearly bought something else - something slower to be more precise. By the time I traded in the K1200S it had done a little over 50k and was nicely loosened up. The problem was that with the Akrapovic it was a little lairy and I'd begun to ride it like a Yam LC. Of course Yam LCs didn't weigh 500-odd pounds or have 160+bhp so there was a bit of an issue developing. However that power is addictive and I knew I'd miss it if it wasn't there. For some reason I don't ride the 13 like that (yet!) and besides the lovely Charlotte wouldn't hear of anything else so I was saved from myself and am resigned to trying to develop some measure of self control. Except for last Monday - but we did have a long way to go and we would have been late otherwise:D

My K1200S was as cheap or cheaper than my R1200's to service, especially as it didn't need the valves checking until the 18k service as I remember :nenau

The front discs and pads were changed at the 12k service, but the discs were replaced FOC under warranty as they were slightly warped (probably due to the good thrashing it'd recently had in the Pyrenees and Alps :D )

That's interesting - I'd assumed it'd be cheaper to look after an R. The last time I had a new R was an R1150 GS back when they came out (2000?) and I can't really remember how much it's servicing cost. So power and economy - result! :)

New switchgear

Got the new switches fitted yesterday. Much better - I hadn't realised how bad the other ones were!

K1200 vs K1300

I've had my K1200GT for four years. It isn't an only bike, so doesn't get used for daily commuting and stuff. The F-GS gets used more often, saving the K12 for faster journeys, sunny blasts and summer trips. I love the bike - the best bike I've ever owned for trips like that.

I have ridden K13's on various occasions, including BEFORE I bought the K12. The K12 just seemed much smoother and more 'together' to me. it may be that the 13s I rode were not run in or a bit ropey (though one was the new demonstrator). Or maybe I fluked a particularly nice K12.

I'm sure the K13 is more powerful but, to be honest, I can count the times when my chosen speed has been limited by the power from the K12 on the fingers of no hands at all.

Back
Top Bottom