Engine Problems

tvhobbs

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having some problems with my "new" F800GS. It's a 2011 model when I've owned for a few months. After a month or so of ownership I found that occassionally, after the bike had warmed up, when at idle the engine speed would fluctuate wildly from around 500-1500 rpms. Sometimes it's drop so low it would cut out. It took a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with BMW before they'd admit the problem. (I had to let it get so bad that it did it at the end of every ride, and showed them a weeks worth of videos.)

They "adjusted the idle actuator" and said that the idle valve was sticking when the bike got warm and so replaced that. All was fine for a few weeks, but now the same problem has come back again. Unfortunately it's being very intermittent and so I can't guarantee being able to show BMW the problem. It's also developing another problem where, when warm (and only sometimes, but often enough to be really annoying), if you let the bike idle and then slowly increase the throttle, like you might when smoothly pulling away at a junction, the engine just stops. It can't be me just being ham fisted with the clutch, because the bike does it when in neutral as well.

At high/normal revs it's fine and I've got not other problems with the bike. Fuel consumption seems fine and it always starts right on the button, even when it's misbehaving. I've filled up at different fuel stations and tried normal unleaded and V-Power and I haven't spotted a correlation between the type of fuel and symptoms.

I was told when I bought the bike, that the guy who owned it previously only really rode it for a few months a year, so maybe there's something sticking in some of the filters? Can anyone suggest a decent fuel additive that I can add to try and clean the internals out?

Has anyone experienced this or could anyone suggest anything to try?

Many thanks,

Tom

Yes, lots of the stories are very similar and I'd seen that thread before.

It lacks the golden "and the problem was solved by..." post though. :)

Albeit i haven't read that exact thread i experienced quite similar effects when the no return valve on the tank became corroded - it's aluminium and gets that powdery white dust sort of corrosion.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0218&mospid=51595&btnr=16_0692&hg=16&fg=11

It's part number 17 on this diagram however mine is located where part 15 is on this diagram.

Also clogged fuel filter - there's a thread on ADV about it. Maybe whip out the system and give it a soak in clean petrol. (If your doing this and avoid running bikes completely dry then keep an old CD handy - it covers the hole perfectly)

Best of luck and do let us know how you get on,

S

Back
Top Bottom