BMW K1 Steering Damper...

pikeydave

Reaction score
Do I need one?

Mine's fucked.

P.S.

Suggestions for where the rusty bracket on the right goes? (I've 2 of them looking for a home..)

This is one in place FWIW:

K1%20BMW%20%28211%29-X2.jpg

The rusty bracket may be a Touring K1 version of the bracket that holds the rear tail-piece upper sides in place. Only a guess as it doesn't look like anything I've yet found on a K1. :nenau

Thanks for the info on the brackets. Where do you reckon they go then? What I need is a poke around under a K100-16v tailpiece...

Do I take it you've never ridden the bike with the damper removed?

I'll finish putting it back together without it & see how it handles without. The bearing's back in the fairing spider so should be easy to retro mount if I do need one.

No Dave, I've never tried one without the damper. IIRC the damper for the K1 is not the same as fitted to the 16v RS or the K1100RS.

That said, did you say that you intend leaving the front wheel fairing off and running with a standard two-piece mudguard? If so, you may not need the damper quite as much because the wheel fairing produces lot's of aero forces.

I'm now wondering if the two rusty brackets are Touring versions of the lower fairing/bellypan mounting.

On the "proper" K1 the brackets mount to the underside of the cylinder head and the crankcase but as the Touring has two huge cut-outs for the rider's feet, it may use different brackets.

I'll see what I can dig up and get back to you.

Right I've scanned the fiches and there are no specific Touring parts listed.

Can you take a better photo of the brackets?

Can you take a better photo of the brackets?

Yes I will just give me a little while as I'm "helping'' a little person with their homework.

Correct on I'll try to go with a std 16v mudguard if I can source one.

I'll take a couple of the set up so far as well.

Thanks Mike.

Mystery brackets

Mike, note that wherever they lived the threads must have been well protected.

So far..

Frame rubbed down & painted (many times!) in situ. If I'd stripped it down it would never have gone back together.

A reminder of the "before" pics.

Don't worry, those forks are going as I've a spare set but might see if Philpots can rechrome them.

Looking at the brackets I'd say that the clean threads while the rest is corroded reminds me of the rear mudguard retaining straps:

BMW%20K75S%20%2865%29-L.jpg

The lower one of the two has longer threads because it goes through rear section of the mudguard and then up into the tail unit. It holds both the tail unit and the rear (removable) section of the mudguard. The length is to allow rear wheel removal - believe it or not!

Now looking at your frame, it's not a K1 frame. Fear not, it is probably a K100RS 16v frame (which got the same increased tube thickness and minor geometry alterations of the K1). The K1 has two upper mountings for the unique K1 tail assembly:

K1%20BMW%20%28124%29-L.jpg

K1%20BMW%20%28125%29-L.jpg

Yours seems to have a flat bar across the end where normally there are just two webs (welded to the corners) through which the rear mudguard strap passes to locate it and the tail unit:

Touring%20K1%20Frame.jpg

If you look at the rear end of this frame, you can see that two webs are welded into the corners of the rear tube:

BMW%20K75S%20%28203%29-XL.jpg

Could those two brackets replace the one mudguard strap? Do the bar sections with the welded nut act as rear pannier mounts? They'd need to pass below the fame and out to the side.

Or:

Do they hold the mudguard and tail unit but project to the rear to brace the rear mudguard section?

Well they seem to fit here as you suggest...They said you were good! Thanks.

And as I have only one mudguard bracket the theory fits. Now I don't have any pannier rails yet but if they do mount here the triangulation the brackets give would reinforce this spot.

Whilst you're fizzing with K1 knowledge can you tell me where this blind bolt (on right) might have been mounted? (I've a feeling its off one of the side fairing brackets but I might be wrong) and whether the top hat mounts that rubber mount the fairings should have a washer that slips over the top or butts hard up against? (If you see what I mean...)

EDIT:
Looking at your original K1 frame & the other (16v?) frame picture you bunged up, I'm wondering if K1 Tourings were done at dealer level with the original brackets ground off and a BMW supplied "kit" of bent up bracket, welding instructions & a tin of paint to turn K1s into Tourings??

The upper fairing mounts are the rubber grommet supported by the top-hat sleeve and a washer so that the grommet is in the sandwich.

BMW%20K1%20%28164%29-L.jpg

BMW%20K1%20%28273%29-XL-XL.jpg

That blind screw has me stumped.

EDIT:
Looking at your original K1 frame & the other (16v?) frame picture you bunged up, I'm wondering if K1 Tourings were done at dealer level with the original brackets ground off and a BMW supplied "kit" of bent up bracket, welding instructions & a tin of paint to turn K1s into Tourings??

That would explain the lack of any specific Touring parts listed anywhere.

It would also explain the slightly agricultural look of that cross piece and if you look under the tail unit base, you should see that there are two corresponding recess in the underside that match the two corner plates of the standard K100/K1100 frame.

The upper fairing mounts are the rubber grommet supported by the top-hat sleeve and a washer so that the grommet is in the sandwich.

I appreciate that Mike. I do get the gist of rubber mounting but (with reference to the tophats/washers placed upon in LH of pic) there's different inner diameter of holes in my assorted washers so does said washer sit on or about the inner tophat? This is me being pedantic about a bike I've hand painted without stripping down...

Dave, the top-hat goes on the fairing side and the washer on the side that the open nut fits. IIRC, the washer allows the tube of the top-hat inside the hole.

Had enough of shagged spacers, rubber mounts & siezed screws...so boutht £200 worth of new fasteners for the K. (£90ish was for a new ABS sensor though)

Back
Top Bottom