K100 turbo update.

A bit more progress:

001_zpsb771da02.jpg

015_zps91dcd551.jpg

014_zps496c041f.jpg

The turbo is now in it's final position with a steady fitted between the compressor housing and the frame.
The outlet pipe has had the heatproof wrap fitted and the silencer has been bolted on, still haven't made the middle bracket yet!
The plenum chamber has been bolted in place after beadblasting, there is a gasket between the plenum and the head. BMW don't list one for the turbo installation so I made one myself.
This week I'll make the stainless link pipe between the compressor housing and the plenum and connect the oil feed and returns to the turbo.
The new wiring harness is taking shape, this time I'm even going to connect the indicators. The ignition coils and the starter relay have been moved to under the seat, they'll be hidden when the low seat wrap-around is fitted.
This modification means there is nothing on top of the gearbox which looks a lot tidier.
I'm hoping to have everything finished in time to start the bike at the end of the week, we'll see!

008_zps5acf9d93.jpg

009_zps604ee759.jpg

Forgot to up-date this! The bike has now completed about 1500km with the larger turbo. A few weeks ago I decided to remove the cylinder head to bead-blast it which was a good excuse to remove all the outer engine covers and inspect the internals for signs of problems.
Pleased to report everything is in good condition, no signs of scuffing on the bores, no piston hotspots, head gasket sealing properly, main and big-end bearings unmarked.
The turbo is set at 9psi of boost, (0.6bar), and starts boosting at 4000rpm.
During hard acceleration, the turbo can't really be felt during first and second gear as they pass too quickly, but during third gear it starts to get interesting! Third gear red-line is about 155-160kmh, (about 95mph), on full throttle before changing up to fourth gear, it's possible to find that the 'bars aren't pointing in the direction you're going because the front wheel isn't in contact with the ground!
Third and fourth gears are perfect for our 'A' road overtaking, roll on acceleration is really strong, it's hard not to use it all the time.
For off boost cruising I've been able to lean the mixture off a bit, the bike is now doing about 45mpg when used in a restrained manner, (two-up).
I'm really impressed with the performance of the turbo, even though there are a lot of negatives written about the draw-through set-up, for about 1500 euros, I think the package is well worth it.
The only problem I've found is that standard bikes now feel extremely 'flat', as the revs rise, you expect to feel that massive surge of acceleration, but it never arrives!
This winter's project may involve the fitting of USD forks from an R1.

Back
Top Bottom