K100 turbo update.

Ijustwanttoseethephotos

Reaction score
I've now covered about 1000km, (600miles), on my tubocharged K100 16v. I'm pleased to say that there haven't been any major niggles and all the doubts about the negatives of draw-through turbos have been, in my opinion, exaggerated!
The increase in performance was tailored for mid-range acceleration and the small T25 has provided this faultlessly, but........I've now got used to it so a bit more is called for.
The bike is slowly coming apart again, I've sourced a T3 compressor wheel and housing which will be fitted to the T25 to give a T28 type hybrid.
The T3 conversion will deliver in excess of 180bhp at 1 bar pressure, so no need to uprate this side of the turbo in the future. (Forged lower compression pistons will be needed to release this level of power safely).
I looking for a more freely flowing turbine housing to go with the T3 as well.
I'm hoping the next stage of modifications will give a further 20-25 bhp using the existing 7psi
of boost, which should give around 155-160bhp at the rear wheel.
Should be interesting!

Thanks for the update, have you posted info on this elsewere?
ta ray

I love the fact that there are nutters like you around......it would just be too easy to say that you could have bought two Superblackbirds or a NOX Hayabusa and still had change from what you've probably spent on whupping up your K bike, but that would be missing the point entirely :thumb2

Keep ploughing away while you enjoy it, and please post piccies :clap:clap :bow

There are already a couple of photos here:
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?319375-Show-us-your-K-bike/page8

Cost? The first build cost me approximately 900 euros in parts, (I lost count of the hours!), the update this winter probably another 500 euros.
I find the engineering side of the project the most interesting, I agree fuel injection and masses of electronics would certainly make it run better, but the simplicity of the draw-through system gives the bike character, at idle it has a V8 type tick-over, up to about 3-4K rpm the engine pulls like a standard bike, then above that the exhaust note sounds like a Fireblade and the bike comes alive.
You leave home as a 50 year old on a K100, you return as a grinning 25 year old wanting more!
Negatives? The rear tyre lost 3mm of tread in 1000km.

I'm hoping the next stage of modifications will give a further 20-25 bhp using the existing 7psi
of boost, which should give around 155-160bhp at the rear wheel.
Should be interesting!
Impressive result. And not so expensive)
But what about aerodynamics? It seems like this bike was build for high speed and some fairings were not superfluous.

Next stage)))

004_zps003bcbcd.jpg

Finished preparing my modified turbo for this year's build. Basically it's a Garrett T28 with a carbon seal conversion for draw-through.
The compressor housing has been modified to accept the SU HIF44 carburettor which I used last year.
As a comparison to my old T25, at 7psi of boost, this turbo will deliver 20lb/min of air whereas the T25 would be struggling to deliver 15lb/min.
Next stage is to make the new outlet pipe which will incorporate a 60mm carbon-fibre end-can.

Do your mods create any issues because of the 100 hp limit in France....? :nenau

Feck, I thought it was a minimum of 100bhp! :eek:
As regards the letter of the law, yes, the bike's probably not totally legal, but as most of the French de-restrict their sports bikes, there doesn't seem to be a problem.
Lights that work, rear view mirror, reasonably quiet pipe and the gendarmes aren't interested.
Our two local bike gendarmes are also customers of mine, their first question on arriving is 'how much power is it making now?'

Feck, I thought it was a minimum of 100bhp! :eek:
As regards the letter of the law, yes, the bike's probably not totally legal, but as most of the French de-restrict their sports bikes, there doesn't seem to be a problem.
Lights that work, rear view mirror, reasonably quiet pipe and the gendarmes aren't interested.
Our two local bike gendarmes are also customers of mine, their first question on arriving is 'how much power is it making now?'

I thought it might be something like that. So it's a bit like Switzerland where I believe there's no such thing as a legal motorcycle.... :D

003_zpsa2b560b1.jpg

004_zpsdf9047c0.jpg

Finally managed to complete a few more stages installing the new turbo assembly.
I've had to move it rearwards by 30mm and downwards by 20mm, this obviously means both exhaust systems and the plenum feed pipe have had to be modified.
As the rear pipe has had to be modified, I decided to fit an endcan in an effort to make the bike appear even more legal than it already is!
I've also lowered the pipe which means the ignition coils will fit under the seat rather than on top of the gearbox, which looked a bit messy.
001_zpsc65411c2.jpg

Hopefully, by the end of the month, I should have finished about 90% of the installation and have completed enough of the new wiring harness to have the bike running.

There has been a bit of a delay as I got side-tracked by the front end of the bike, I rebuilt the front discs with stainless steel bobbins, dismantled the forks and machined off the original brace/mudguard mounts, resprayed the legs and made up a stainless mudguard which now mounts on the upper holes only.
Also, I removed the ignition/steering lock assembly from the top yoke, pressed aluminium 'dowels' into the three holes and resprayed the yoke.
As I've only got the right-hand switchgear, I then decided to run the electrical cables through the bars, exiting between a pair of alumium risers I've fitted.
I think the modifications make everything look a lot tidier.

Very neat. :thumb2

Is there any danger of the proximity of the exhaust causing problems?

Thanks for the thumbs up, Mike. The exhaust has yet to have a rubber mounting fitted to it which will be clamped to where the lift handle used to be, (you can just see the rubber mount in the third photo), then it will be wrapped with the heat-proof asbestos. I used it on the last build and after a run you could hold the pipe comfortably so no danger to anything around it.

Back
Top Bottom