BMW 90th Adventure NEW just uncrated -FUEL! fault

vteec

Reaction score
hello

last monday my dealer received my new 90th r1200gs adventure.
it was uncrated and they put in 10l of fuel in it.
the display is still showing fuel!

they will log the fault with Motorrad in germany they told me but they suspect a software issue.

i know that the fuel gauge gave numerous issues before but i was never expecting this on a new bike with not even 12kms on it.

do you think it is software? or maybe it is true that the bike a the fuel strip faulty already?

thank you

Was it still the same when it is filled up? Maybe it needs a full tank to settle down :confused:

hellobryn - a full tank? hmmm could be you are right but i think this should be advised by Motorrad themselves to my dealer.

1.fuel does take sometime to register
2.If it was on the sidestand when fuelled, all fuel is on one side
3. 10 liters is not much if it was bone dry.

I am sure there is no problem w it, just fill her up.

Funny tech
I remember in those long ago days just after the wheel was invented we had this strange device just under the fuel tank. Called a petrol cock!! Well this wee device had two indents one for fuel and pull down further eureka you got reserve was that not exciting!
Oh those far off simple days.
Some weren't so good though.

Open the fuel cap and insert a knitting needle, poke around and retry.:D

hello, you are all correct the latest ones have a float not strip.

Scot1200: i think you are right but 10L is a third of the tank, you think this would not register?

i am now thinking that it could well be a stuck float or/and need re calibration by the dealer.

thank you for all the replies.

.... You could write them an angry mail quoting insight that you have gleaned from various forums and then start threads on various forums looking spelling out the whole sorry saga and looking to recruit in fellow 'brides from hell' to work yourself up into a full time frenzy resulting in:

(1.) you selling the bike after months of not using it because you'd taken it back to the dealer and have been fighting an unsuccessful not fit for purpose case..... And then buying a Honda

(2.) receiving serious flack for being a 'bride from hell' but gradually seeing the light and emerge a 'tosser'

Last edited:
Get the cheapskate dealer to give you a full tank of fuel and ride the bike for at least 300 miles before worrying about what the fuel thing says.

Don't tell me you have left the bike with the dealer until they sort the "fault"? Fill the bloody thing up, ride it for a couple of hundred miles, see what the gauge reads and fill it again. Repeat as required, if the gauge proves to be inaccurate then you can get the dealer to investigate. Just putting 10 litres in and not riding it wont tell you very much! Enjoy the bike and try not to stress over a fuel gauge, as has been pointed out we managed before bikes had such things.

John

What a bizarre thread!

Have you actually got the bike?
Have you filled it up yet?

GS guages are notorious at being slow on the uptake (a bit like some of the riders) so just whack a few tank fulls through and see how you go.

Hi John, all
Yes i decided to leave bike at dealer because they told me they found a fault with the fuel gauge and want to investigate it.
And i said better take their advice.
But now i am realising that i should take her home.

Will keep you posted.
Thank you

Yes agreed sgt bilco an the grey one.
But how can i trust the bike of not leaving me stranded with no fuel?

If i just open the fuel filler and shake the bike you can judge if its on reserve or not?

Sorry for all these questions but all the bmw's i had never had this issue.

I've had a bikes with a float fuel gauge that stuck when the tank was refilled. it would pop up after a while and worked fine. Maybe the float arm needs running in. Treat it rough like we are told to do with new BMW engines.

Just in case it is poo, get a couple of these. http://www.fuelfriend.de/images/fuelfriend_plus/neu/1Liter/beide_800breit.jpg

beide_800breit.jpg

Ive got a GSA even with such a huge fuel tank its not hard to get caught out. Especially as the fuel range gets erratic below about 60 miles indicated. Just when you need accuracy it all looks ok then suddenly drops like a stone.

Back
Top Bottom