Retrofit stuff to a DOHC?

DrAlf

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m considering an upgrade from my old 1150. I’ve ridden the WC and whilst it’s a great bike I’m quite attached to the air cooled character of the older bikes. I’ve been reading up on 1200’s and have ridden a few earlier bikes but I’m interested in the DOHC model. I’ll get a test ride booked pronto but I’d like to know if it’s possible to upgrade a basic DOHC bike with OEM bits – I’m particularly interested in fitting Ohlins ESA shocks to a non ESA bike. Has anyone done this? Is it even possible? In addition I’d like to know if fitting OEM heated grips if an easy task. Current thinking is buy a "cheap" basic DOHC bike and upgrade it with the bits that I want – i.e. Ohlins, full system, 17” wheels, Hilltop/PC5 and maybe a R&R bigbore kit if funds allow.

Advice appreciated.

Ta:)

I’m considering an upgrade from my old 1150. I’ve ridden the WC and whilst it’s a great bike I’m quite attached to the air cooled character of the older bikes. I’ve been reading up on 1200’s and have ridden a few earlier bikes but I’m interested in the DOHC model. I’ll get a test ride booked pronto but I’d like to know if it’s possible to upgrade a basic DOHC bike with OEM bits – I’m particularly interested in fitting Ohlins ESA shocks to a non ESA bike. Has anyone done this? Is it even possible? In addition I’d like to know if fitting OEM heated grips if an easy task. Current thinking is buy a "cheap" basic DOHC bike and upgrade it with the bits that I want – i.e. Ohlins, full system, 17” wheels, Hilltop/PC5 and maybe a R&R bigbore kit if funds allow.

Advice appreciated.

Ta:)
I wouldnt think it will be possible to fit ESA Shocks to a non ESA bike. ECU would be different for a start i think.................but maybe im wrong. :eek: :augie Question is why would you want to do it this way ? Heated grips etc are usually fitted anyway and i would think unless your going to fit Oxfords or similar you wont find it cheaper to fit OEM ones.

The Ohlins ESA equivalent can be fitted but cost is enormous. Wilbers WESA is about 50% the cost of the Ohlins setup but has to be used on an ESA bike.

I personally think the standard heated grips are only just warm enough (are they restricted by the CanBus?). The Oxfords on my previous bike were almost never on full blast. They were still working after 4 years though the original controller went titsup after a short while.

I have considered fitting Oxfords to the Beemer but the grips have different mounts so might not work

I agree about the BMW hot grips - barely detectable wearing a pair of winter gloves.

Am a bit puzzled by your motive. The WC bike isnt WC in the same sense that a TEX is. As I understand it, BMW have done little more than cool the valve area with water really substituting water for the oil cooling of the TC bike. In any case, fitting extras to a basic bike is always a more expensive option than buying fully kitted out usually giving problems to boot.

Never ridden a WC but the TC is a nice engine for sure. I do not see the need or use of more power. In fact TBH I doubt I have ever used what there is in the TC.

I agree about the BMW hot grips - barely detectable wearing a pair of winter gloves.

Never ridden a WC but the TC is a nice engine for sure. I do not see the need or use of more power. In fact TBH I doubt I have ever used what there is in the TC.

I find the hot grips on high power plenty hot enough with my spada enforcer winter gloves and usually cut it back to low setting.

Totally agree about the engine. With a hilltop remap it really zips along and the power seems just right for the bike. I have recently bought an old Honda 750/4 , the original superbike. Old and modern classic test gush about its pace and power but gettiing back on the meaty 1200 GS 40 years on its in another league. The smoothness dribbling along at 30 mph in 4th is a real joy as is fuel consumption in the high 50's on my 50 -60 mph commute dawdle. Silky smooth gear change, power a plenty - who needs an LC ?

Some good info there. Thanks all. Maybe standard non ESA Ohlins shocks are the way to go then. I'll give it some thought.

If I ended up with a non-ESA bike I would probably fit manually adjusted Ohlins and if I bought one with ESA I'd go for the Wilbers. Most GSs are sold with quite a high specification so non-ESA bikes might be quite rare, though if you do find one it's likely to be cheap. When I bought mine the dealers all said I should spec it up (but they would say that, wouldn't they) to keep its resale value.

Last year when I bought an ex-demonstrator the lead time on a new standard bike was 3 months whilst one with all the bells and whistles would have been available ex-stock.

A specced up bike may retain resale, but rarely as much as the price of options. The BM R1200S with full sports pack is probably an exception.

The GSA does seem to sell better with the fully loaded specs. I certainly felt that spending so much for a well used bike I wanted FSH and as many goodies as I could get. Que all sorts of moans about impending doom of lecky things dropping off but so far its been great. :)

FSH did not have to be dealer or even professional as long as it had been done properly.

Back
Top Bottom