A New Year... A New Commute...

Potts_1972

Reaction score
Hi All - I'm after some wordly advice on a few points...

I've put on almost 50k miles on my 58 plate 800GS and in the New Year will be leaving my current job in Sarf London to work in Chatham, Kent. This means my weekly commute is going to be over 700miles.

- My chain and sprocket are being replaced January 2nd - should I fit a Scottoiler at the same time? I'm generally a lazy b*stard and regular lubing isn't my strong point but are they worth the expense?

-Is it worth fitting a taller screen? (I'm thinking of MPG here... I'm 6ft and I get an instantaneous readout of 50mpg at 80mph currently - would that improve with a taller screen than the standard one?)

- Has anyone got any experience of a decent aftermarket cruise control solution?

I was toying with the idea of trading the bike in for an older R1200RT as I'd expect the commute would be more comfortable on that but I do love the bike and apart from an errant fuel pump and it's love of destroying steering head bearings it's served me well and filtering around the M25 is a doddle on it.

Any advice on dealing with long-ish commutes would be welcomed!

Cheers (and happy Christmas!!)
Potts.

A taller screen would make your journey more comfortable, less wind and should reduce some tiredness too.

Scottoiler I would recommend if your chain doesn't get as much attention as it should, lubing it is a good thing.

Not sure about your mpg though. Someone will be along soon am sure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Scottoiler is a must have for any chain driven bike, I've had a shed load and where funds allowed always fitted an oiler, it'll drastically extend the longevity of the chain and sprockets.
As ferrol said the taller screen will make your like more comfortable and also provide more protection from spray etc.
In an ideal world we'd all have a garage full of bikes for every occasion so if you love your 800GS I'd stick with it, life's not all about getting to and from work and you'll miss it in your personal time if you trade it in for a mile munching sofa.

The only aftermarket cruise controls I have heard of are the ones that lock the throttle in position rather than electronic management of your speed. :thumb2

If you don't already, wear some decent ear plugs they dramatically reduce fatigue and hearing loss. Splash out on some custom ear plugs from Ultimate Ear and you'll love your commute listening to your fave music or as I do, listen to an audio book.

If you're a lazy git, get yourself a Scotoiler. Never used one myself but have toyed with the idea a few times, just never pulled the trigger, although I'm quite anal about it. Forget expensive cruise control get yourself a throttle lock and consider grip puppies, they reduce hand fatigue but do not inhibit the heated grips.

The BMW touring screen is decent but expensive I have the Metal Mule flip screen, which offers decent wind protection and may give you better mpg. I don't reckon you'll get better mileage with an R1200 even if a little comfier. Try the Airhawk, they'll change your whole worldview mate. There are 2 available the expensive is made of thicker neoprene and the cheaper is made of a less arduous polypropylene but is just as effective. If you have the standard razor seat it'll be like night and day trust me.

The only aftermarket cruise controls I have heard of are the ones that lock the throttle in position rather than electronic management of your speed. :thumb2

And they're very good too :beerjug:

motorcycle%20cruise%20control.jpg

That one's a flashy aluminium one, but I've been using a polyurethane jobby with success for months.....only about 12 quid on Ebay :thumb2

Such a simple and obvious design, but it works :)

As far as ear plugs go, you can spend a fortune on them to get custom moulded ones, or again, cheap DIY kits from ebay, two putties that you blend together then squidge in your ears until set, adding a bit of cord between them so they harder to lose, a tenner buys a set that makes two pairs :nenau

IMG_00000287-X2.jpg

...flashy aluminium one, but I've been using a polyurethane jobby with success for months.....

As far as ear plugs go, you can spend a fortune...

The plastic ones are okay I've had 2 in as many years, done thousands of miles on them but they do have a habit of snapping. I think the cold weakens them. I'll defo go with an aluminium one next.

Earplugs: you get what you pay for. I love good audio when riding and you won't get that + protection with any cheaper DIY options. I've been using mine for a couple of years and wouldn't be without them on long rides.

I've fitted a Givi Airflow screen from native viking on ebay. It's supposed to be for the 650 and 700, but with a little bit of work fits the 800gs too. Fantastic, very quite and visor up at 70mph.

Have scottoiler because i'm a lazy bar steward. No complaints as i don't require a showroom clean bike. If sprockets are being changed may be worth considering an AFAM 18 tooth at the front. Albeit my commute is a about half what you shall be doing it does save a little go juice and makes the bike sit easier at motorway speeds though you do slightly more clutch work if in heavy traffic...

Taller screen - albeit i have a low(ish) screen for daily use (quieter) i use the Mirage fairing when on tour as it takes the blast off my body, thus reducing fatigue on long days. MPG picks up as well.

Dont have cruise control but do use throttle rocker - again reduces fatigue particularly on long motorway runs.

On an aside you mention fuel pump - check the no return valve on the fuel tank vent line, it's aluminium and white corrosion forms on it. Caught me out when i thought it was the fuel pump playing up (unless of course you've already had it diagnosed - in which case ignore me!)

Best,

S

Hi All - I'm after some wordly advice on a few points...

I've put on almost 50k miles on my 58 plate 800GS and in the New Year will be leaving my current job in Sarf London to work in Chatham, Kent. This means my weekly commute is going to be over 700miles.

- My chain and sprocket are being replaced January 2nd - should I fit a Scottoiler at the same time? I'm generally a lazy b*stard and regular lubing isn't my strong point but are they worth the expense? .

Hi Potts, Its different for all so a personal opinion is yes worth it for me, less adjustment, more wear from the chain and chains allways lubed. min setting 1500 miles plus between refills :D

-Is it worth fitting a taller screen? (I'm thinking of MPG here... I'm 6ft and I get an instantaneous readout of 50mpg at 80mph currently - would that improve with a taller screen than the standard one?) .

mpg :nenau but for comfort its a taller screen for me and an extender on that, it's effect depends on your body to lid dimension and where the air flow impacts....

- Has anyone got any experience of a decent aftermarket cruise control solution? .

not for me thought about it but my wrist action is just fine maybey if I was on a motorway at a constant speed for a long duration or limp wristed :D, but in traffic personaly I find the speed generally variable

I was toying with the idea of trading the bike in for an older R1200RT as I'd expect the commute would be more comfortable on that but I do love the bike and apart from an errant fuel pump and it's love of destroying steering head bearings it's served me well and filtering around the M25 is a doddle on it. .

RT will make light work of big miles :thumby: But 700 a week I assume thats 5 days of 70 miles each way per day easy work for the F8 :thumb

Any advice on dealing with long-ish commutes would be welcomed!

Cheers (and happy Christmas!!)
Potts.

Be comfortable and stay warm for the journey would be my advice :D

Good luck for the new job , however you get there and Happy Christmas :beerjug:

Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice, it's very much appreciated! :thumb

Back from the Christmas break (I say break, well, it would have been had my darling baby daughter not infected us all with hideous illness for two weeks) and the bikes back after the chain and sprocket replacement. Once again Vines have advised me to get the steering head bearings replaced as they're notchy... again!?!? WTF?? They were only done 3000 miles ago?? Are BMW using maltesers for bearings or something?? Is excessive wear on bearings a known issue with the 800's? I do zero off-roading on the bike so I have no idea why they're so prone to failure...

Anyway.... I've decided to keep the 800. I love it and until I can afford a new (to me) bike without having to trade it in it's going to be my sole 2 wheel commuting device. I'm going to go for the Scottoiler once the Jan pay packet is in as well as investing in a decent pair of earplugs. Guess I'll need to dust of the airhawk and attempt to find the elastic ties for it... last time I saw them they were being used to keep socks together (my wifes awesome idea...).

Thanks again!
Potts.

Back
Top Bottom