Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Wander 2014 - 15 / 16 March

Thanks Richard, you are awful but I like you

Train booked.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Final runners and riders

Final (that's it) list of Wanderers, all in single rooms except dxtans.

1.Wapping
    2. RUS25R
    3. adventuredon
    4. Mucky Helmet
    5. Dxtans and Mrs Dxtans (double)
    6. GS Bloke
    7. Major Gadget
    8. Phil954
    9. Brenchleyhibs

I think / hope everyone has now booked their train tickets, as I have secured the rooms against my credit card. Securing the rooms works to everyone's advantage as it gives more flexibility on our arrival time at the hotel.

Routes and final joining instructions to be circulated nearer the time.

Richard

Are any of you staying in the Folkstone premier inn on friday 14th?

Hi Phil. I am tempted to come down the night before but as yet have not made up my mind. I only live in London so I save a few hours but spend a few quid...will make a decision nearer the time, weather dependent. HTH

I am....

Quote Originally Posted by GS Bloke View Post
    I am....
    Me too, I usually stay here to save getting up too early. Fancy a beer?

AdventureDon, I like to save a couple of hours in the morning by staying there, getting up at 7am is much better than 5;30

I find when going on holiday even for a few days I revert to 'child' mode and have difficulty going to sleep, I can't stop imagining the trip,feel the excitement, smell the air, etc.At least in my own surroundings,and in my own bed, I stand a chance of a couple of hours 'sleep' or not, and at 5.30am believe me I am ready to go.Find it also helps me sleep in the 'strange' bed on the first night out.
    Ride Carefully. In this Economic Climate the Government needs all the Tax Payers it can get!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phil954 View Post
    Me too, I usually stay here to save getting up too early. Fancy a beer?
    Can do but not sure what time I will get there as gonna head down after the M25 changes from a car park to a steady slow flow....

Quote Originally Posted by GS Bloke View Post
    Can do but not sure what time I will get there as gonna head down after the M25 changes from a car park to a steady slow flow....
    No worries..

French Traffic Laws

Hi, haven't been abroad for a couple of years now so was wondering about the laws in France.

Do you have to delete any speed trap info on your SatNav.
    Are you required to carry a First Aid kit.
    Are you required to carry a HiVis.
    Do you have to have a Warning Triangle.
    Do you have to have Fluorescent stickers on your helmet.

Thanks Ken.
    Ride Carefully. In this Economic Climate the Government needs all the Tax Payers it can get!!!

I don't do any of those things, dunno what the law states though

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

i agree with the early start! still looking at it but will decide nearer the time...cheers Phil
    " Me too, I usually stay here to save getting up too early. Fancy a beer? "

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Gadget View Post
    Hi, haven't been abroad for a couple of years now so was wondering about the laws in France.

Do you have to delete any speed trap info on your SatNav. Yes
    Are you required to carry a First Aid kit. No
    Are you required to carry a HiVis. No
    Do you have to have a Warning Triangle. No
    Do you have to have Fluorescent stickers on your helmet. Yes (but nobody seems to bother.)
    Thanks Ken.
    My understanding, no doubt someone with better knowledge will be along to contradict me presently.

Edit: I believe you're also supposed to carry a breathalyser but if you're caught without one the fine is 0 Euros.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...-new-2012.html
    I normally take a high viz vest slipped down the side pannier, just in case I am stranded at night or such. Just a precaution. I don't wear it.
    as for the breathalyzer...seems to be a yes but not enforced and no fine can be issued - I don't
    first aid kit - yes, but that's for camping and the such like, it will not be much use in a RTA

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Major Gadget View Post

Do you have to delete any speed trap info on your SatNav.
    Are you required to carry a First Aid kit.
    Are you required to carry a HiVis.
    Do you have to have a Warning Triangle.
    Do you have to have Fluorescent stickers on your helmet.

Thanks Ken.
    GPS question - The answer is yes. The latest Garmin updates remove them by default.

First aid kit - The answer is no.

HiVis - The answer is no.

Warning triangle - The answer is no.

Stickers on helmet - The answer is yes.

However....

As with many things in life it's best to remember the other probably more important things that are also required under law, much as they are here in the UK and many other countries. These include:

1. Not exceeding the speed limit

2. Obeying all road markings and signage.

3. Having an exhaust whose decibel output does not greatly exceed the figure shown in the V5 and / or stamped into the vehicle's ID plate and / or a number plate that complies to certain very precise dimensions, style, colour, shaping and spacing of letters and / or numerals.

4. Not taking the piss.

If you are stopped, it will probably be for infringing rules 1 or 2, so you will probably have broken one or two really simple French laws already, let alone the more complicated ones. That you will probably break law 1 (just as you do in the UK, quite regularly possibly, whilst riding at speeds you judge to be appropriate and / or when making progress) goes without saying. Should you worry about that law more than the complicated one about stickers? Probably, yes.

So, now that you are talking to the police having broken the simplest of French motor laws, what are the chances of them checking your GPS and helmet? Unless you have broken some sort of French national record and / or killed a dog (they love their dogs) it's slim to non-existent. Pay what will probably be an on the spot fine for speeding and carry on. Give them an excuse to dick you around by dicking them around whilst you debate whether you did or didn't touch your foot down onto the road when sort of halting at the compulsory stop line (they love them, almost as much as their dogs) and of course you could be in for the whole day, whilst they put on the latex gloves.

My experience of the French (and most nations') police is that they want to deal with the simplest and most obvious crime first and leave it at that. That will probably be speeding or not obeying a road sign. The rest is too trivial, unless you give them an excuse to carry on. My experience of the French traffic cops also points me in the direction that they are no more able to read English properly than their British counterparts can read French; they will be happy looking at your V5, driving licence, passport and insurance certificate * as they will probably recognise your name, the vehicle's number plate and with luck, your address. They will not be troubling themselves with trying to push buttons on your GPS or studying your fly covered, sweaty helmet with its (illegal) dark visor. Oh yes, before I forget, they may breathalyse you too, sometimes just for fun in a random check. If they do, they will only be really interested in anything else in your life and identity if you fail.

There again, you could just be unlucky and meet PC Herve Six-Fingers on the one morning when he has again so pissed off his commanding officer that he's been dispatched to check every motorcyclists' helmet between Calais and Nantes, via Lyon. If so, and you don't have any stickers (reflective, fluorescent or otherwise) beyond the one that says: 'Ride the dream' or 'UKGSer Tosser', put it down to being your really bad day, too..... cough up with good grace..... and carry on breaking law 1 until caught.

* I once showed a French police officer, who was carrying out random checks on paperwork relating to vehicles, the renewal invitation for my Motor insurance, just to see what would happen. He was quite happy, though I think I detected a slight whistle and a raising of the Gallic eyebrows when he saw the cheap price... Or maybe it was because Aviva is crude but very colloquial French slang for a goat fecker? I really have no idea.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast