First Wander 2014 - 15 / 16 March

French Traffic Laws

Hi, haven't been abroad for a couple of years now so was wondering about the laws in France.

Do you have to delete any speed trap info on your SatNav.
Are you required to carry a First Aid kit.
Are you required to carry a HiVis.
Do you have to have a Warning Triangle.
Do you have to have Fluorescent stickers on your helmet.

Thanks Ken.

i agree with the early start! still looking at it but will decide nearer the time...cheers Phil
" Me too, I usually stay here to save getting up too early. Fancy a beer? "

Hi, haven't been abroad for a couple of years now so was wondering about the laws in France.

Do you have to delete any speed trap info on your SatNav. Yes
Are you required to carry a First Aid kit. No
Are you required to carry a HiVis. No
Do you have to have a Warning Triangle. No
Do you have to have Fluorescent stickers on your helmet. Yes (but nobody seems to bother.)
Thanks Ken.

My understanding, no doubt someone with better knowledge will be along to contradict me presently.

Edit: I believe you're also supposed to carry a breathalyser but if you're caught without one the fine is 0 Euros.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html
I normally take a high viz vest slipped down the side pannier, just in case I am stranded at night or such. Just a precaution. I don't wear it.
as for the breathalyzer...seems to be a yes but not enforced and no fine can be issued - I don't
first aid kit - yes, but that's for camping and the such like, it will not be much use in a RTA

Do you have to delete any speed trap info on your SatNav.
Are you required to carry a First Aid kit.
Are you required to carry a HiVis.
Do you have to have a Warning Triangle.
Do you have to have Fluorescent stickers on your helmet.

Thanks Ken.

GPS question - The answer is yes. The latest Garmin updates remove them by default.

First aid kit - The answer is no.

HiVis - The answer is no.

Warning triangle - The answer is no.

Stickers on helmet - The answer is yes.

However....

As with many things in life it's best to remember the other probably more important things that are also required under law, much as they are here in the UK and many other countries. These include:

1. Not exceeding the speed limit

2. Obeying all road markings and signage.

3. Having an exhaust whose decibel output does not greatly exceed the figure shown in the V5 and / or stamped into the vehicle's ID plate and / or a number plate that complies to certain very precise dimensions, style, colour, shaping and spacing of letters and / or numerals.

4. Not taking the piss.

If you are stopped, it will probably be for infringing rules 1 or 2, so you will probably have broken one or two really simple French laws already, let alone the more complicated ones. That you will probably break law 1 (just as you do in the UK, quite regularly possibly, whilst riding at speeds you judge to be appropriate and / or when making progress) goes without saying. Should you worry about that law more than the complicated one about stickers? Probably, yes.

So, now that you are talking to the police having broken the simplest of French motor laws, what are the chances of them checking your GPS and helmet? Unless you have broken some sort of French national record and / or killed a dog (they love their dogs) it's slim to non-existent. Pay what will probably be an on the spot fine for speeding and carry on. Give them an excuse to dick you around by dicking them around whilst you debate whether you did or didn't touch your foot down onto the road when sort of halting at the compulsory stop line (they love them, almost as much as their dogs) and of course you could be in for the whole day, whilst they put on the latex gloves.

My experience of the French (and most nations') police is that they want to deal with the simplest and most obvious crime first and leave it at that. That will probably be speeding or not obeying a road sign. The rest is too trivial, unless you give them an excuse to carry on. My experience of the French traffic cops also points me in the direction that they are no more able to read English properly than their British counterparts can read French; they will be happy looking at your V5, driving licence, passport and insurance certificate * as they will probably recognise your name, the vehicle's number plate and with luck, your address. They will not be troubling themselves with trying to push buttons on your GPS or studying your fly covered, sweaty helmet with its (illegal) dark visor. Oh yes, before I forget, they may breathalyse you too, sometimes just for fun in a random check. If they do, they will only be really interested in anything else in your life and identity if you fail.

There again, you could just be unlucky and meet PC Herve Six-Fingers on the one morning when he has again so pissed off his commanding officer that he's been dispatched to check every motorcyclists' helmet between Calais and Nantes, via Lyon. If so, and you don't have any stickers (reflective, fluorescent or otherwise) beyond the one that says: 'Ride the dream' or 'UKGSer Tosser', put it down to being your really bad day, too..... cough up with good grace..... and carry on breaking law 1 until caught.

* I once showed a French police officer, who was carrying out random checks on paperwork relating to vehicles, the renewal invitation for my Motor insurance, just to see what would happen. He was quite happy, though I think I detected a slight whistle and a raising of the Gallic eyebrows when he saw the cheap price... Or maybe it was because Aviva is crude but very colloquial French slang for a goat fecker? I really have no idea.

Looks a great idea to break the gloom of the winter months.
If anyone drops out let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks a great idea to break the gloom of the winter months.
Exactly, I have in winters past waited for a window of reasonable weather then just packed and gone last minute.com but only in this fine country.

One month to go.

This morning, I re-confirmed our booking for, 9 singles and 1 double.

1.Wapping
2. RUS25R
3. adventuredon
4. Mucky Helmet
5. GS Bloke
6. Major Gadget
7. Phil954 (via another site)
8. Brenchleyhibs
9. Paula (via another site)
10. Dxtans and Mrs Dxtans (double)

That's 10 bikes / 11 bods, so a goodly sized gathering.

Via a PM you will all receive my new mobile number. If you could do me a favour and PM yours back I will make sure I am up-to-date.

I don't know whether I will go down to Folkstone the evening before or journey down on the Saturday morning. A bit depends on what time I can leave work on Friday. Whatever else, I plan to be in the departure hall / travellers experience thing in good time before our departure. No idea what bike I'll be on, but don't go looking for a GS as I don't own one.

On arrival at the terminal, they have blocked off the usual spot I used to park in by the first main entrance to the travellers experience hall. Dull, but there you go. I now ride around to the strange circular bike park they have created by the second main entrance. I rarely park in the circular area itself as it's too bloody easy to get boxed in by other bikes. If you are going to use it, take a bit of care.

Bring a packed lunch for Saturday; we'll have lunch on the hoof somewhere.

Supper somewhere in Arras. I won't book anywhere, I'm sure we won't starve. With 10 of us, it might be easiest if we find two tables of five somewhere.

We'll have a whip for coffees on Saturday and Sunday.

I have roughed out some GPS based routes, which I will circulate around to everyone.

The hotel in Arras is: http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-1567-ibis-arras-centre-les-places/media.shtml I have secured ALL our rooms with my credit card, in good faith that everyone is coming and is going to turn up on the day.

Please fill up before getting on the train in England, that way everyone will start the day with a full tank. Similarly, let's all fill up on arrival at Arras, ready for Sunday morning.

Loading onto the train is always a bit of a lottery. There is no guarantee that we will all be in the same carriage or get off together. Let's all gather up at the first fuel station on leaving the train, it's about 3/4 of a mile on the left on the dual carriageway BEFORE you get to the motorway.

If when coming up the ramp when leaving the train in France the arrow directs you LEFT, ignore it. What it probably means is that you have travelled over on a freight train, the lorries being directed left on exit to the huge lorry park to save them getting muddled up with the cars. Going left means a long detour to get back to the fuel station. I have never known the 'going right' on exit being blocked-off (famous last words) if it is, then turn around and we'll all meet up, probably at the entrance to the lorry park... Try not to go in as we'll never find each other and it STINKS of wee! As before, stay in touch by text if something goes awry.

If anyone ends up on an earlier train (it happens) wait at the fuel station, we'll meet you there. If anyone misses the train (it happens) send me a text telling us what time train you are on. Problems do happen and I am happy to wait for a reasonable period for anyone to catch-up, providing I know what's happened. What I can't do is wait not knowing what the problem is, it's not fair on everyone else. If there is no news, we will wait for ONE full train load of vehicles to come past and then go. As the trains run at about 20 minute intervals and take about 15 minutes to fully unload we will have waited about 30 to 40 minutes.

We will use the marker drop-off system. If anyone wants to ride on their own on either day, fine with me. If anyone doesn't know the drop-off system, don't worry. We will run through it at the fuel station. I am happy for anyone to lead who fancies is it and / or I am happy to do back marker duties, too. Either way, we'll need some volunteers for back-marker, please.

Anything else?....

1. It's not a race but that doesn't mean we can't crack on. Overtaking within the group is fine, just be careful of those around you.

2. It's a decent sized group, so watch out for each other and yourself in equal measure. Many of us have been on Wanders before but maybe not with the same bods at the same time. If you are Private Bimble or Major Whizz it makes no odds, just don't assume that everyone else is the same. Create a bit of space and all should be well.

3. A bit of local cash, a credit or charge card. Your V5, valid insurance certificate, EHIC card, valid driving licence (both parts), current passport. Mobile phone (and charger, preferably with a Continental adaptor) enabled for overseas use for voice and text. Half decent Travel and Breakdown insurance. This last bit will enable us to help you get out of trouble faster than anything else, trust me. We have seen it all in action more than once; it really works.

4. We may well take a bit of motorway on arrival (about 30 miles) up to Dunkirk, to go to see the little visited Commonwealth War Graves graveyard. I can't remember if the stretch is free or if it costs a couple of euro. Not certain we will go that way, even so.

5. We should try to make a decent start on Sunday morning, wheels rolling at 09:00 AM, please. That will mean we can have a decent coffee stop in the morning, a reasonable lunch break and (with luck) a stop in the afternoon, too. I have chosen a slightly later train, so we do have time... With luck we may well be on an earlier one.

I think that's it.

Richard

Excellent Richard, thank you.

Any chance you could ping me over a rough outline of the route? I am still sat nav free...:D

Fantastic organisation.
Question? What is the furthest distance anyone is travelling down from the north? I am near Carlisle, haven't done a trip like this before, but am very tempted.
Enjoy your trip guys, sounds like a blast!!

What is the furthest distance anyone is travelling down from the north? I am near Carlisle, haven't done a trip like this before, but am very tempted.
!
I have known a few bods to come down from North Yorks to Folkstone, Cumbria to Folkstone is easily doable in a day even taking some nice roads in on the east.
Go for it, just plan your route and do not over estimate your daily mileage's esp on the return leg.

Thanks for that, I have just worked out how to find my posts being new ish to this! Have a great time, I will look out for your next one. :blast

Righto, booked into the Chandos Guest House for £22.50 for Friday night. Used last minute com promo code FEBBONUS to get 25% off.

Question? What is the furthest distance anyone is travelling down from the north? I am near Carlisle, haven't done a trip like this before, but am very tempted.

I have known a few bods to come down from North Yorks to Folkstone, Cumbria to Folkstone is easily doable in a day even taking some nice roads in on the east.
Go for it, just plan your route and do not over estimate your daily mileage's esp on the return leg.

Would be happy to have you along sometime.

What Phil says is spot on.

I guess it's not so much the journey down, it's the hike back afterwards. We generally cross back over around 18:30, arriving back in the UK a little after six PM. This is usually after a full day's riding to get back to Calais. I leave it up to you to decide how far onwards beyond Folkestone you want to ride after that.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom