Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: First Wander 2014 - 15 / 16 March

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Here are the three routes in a .gpx format, so Garmin and TomTom devices should be able to read them.

On day one we go near enough SSE, then cut straight east to Ypres, passing through or close by the Menin Gate. We then go to the cemetery at Tynecot, the largest of the WW1 burial grounds. I understand that a part of the site is undergoing restoration though the cemetery itself is still open.

We can then head very nearly south past the Newfoundland memorial between Lens and Arras, then on to our hotel in Arras itself. This will be about 130 miles over the whole day.

Sunday, we can head due south, to the east of Albert, to Corbie on the Somme river, then pass north west of Amiens, turning due west then north up to St St Valery, where (with luck) we can have lunch. That is about 130 miles, with a coffee stop somewhere.

After lunch, it's straight north, skirting to the east of Boulogne and back via the Channel coast road, via Wissant, to Calais and the train. That's about 85 miles.

So, on Sunday we are looking at a combined mileage of about 215, in a what is a big U-shape from Arras up to the coast. Total mileage in France over the weekend, about 345 give or take a bit. There will be a bit of everything in it, some motorway, some dual carriageway, some N and some D roads.

Cheers, Richard

File hosted on Dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0TWO%20DAY.gdb

Quote Originally Posted by adventuredon View Post
    Right, only a few more sleeps! Richard, how would you like paying for the room? Euros/transfer or pounds cash? Can I please have your mobile number. I am staying at the Chandos on Fri evening. Anyone else in the area fancy meeting up for a dinner/beer? Other than that, look forward to seeing all at the meeting place (never been on the train so will try work out the circular area -not the front thing is). I have a white 2010 GS so others may know! 07940521148 for all and others
    See you friday night then...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Here are the three routes in a .gpx format, so Garmin and TomTom devices should be able to read them.

On day one we go near enough SSE, then cut straight east to Ypres, passing through or close by the Menin Gate. We then go to the cemetery at Tynecot, the largest of the WW1 burial grounds. I understand that a part of the site is undergoing restoration though the cemetery itself is still open.

We can then head very nearly south past the Newfoundland memorial between Lens and Arras, then on to our hotel in Arras itself. This will be about 130 miles over the whole day.

Sunday, we can head due south, to the east of Albert, to Corbie on the Somme river, then pass north west of Amiens, turning due west then north up to St St Valery, where (with luck) we can have lunch. That is about 130 miles, with a coffee stop somewhere.

After lunch, it's straight north, skirting to the east of Boulogne and back via the Channel coast road, via Wissant, to Calais and the train. That's about 85 miles.

So, on Sunday we are looking at a combined mileage of about 215, in a what is a big U-shape from Arras up to the coast. Total mileage in France over the weekend, about 345 give or take a bit. There will be a bit of everything in it, some motorway, some dual carriageway, some N and some D roads.

Cheers, Richard

File hosted on Dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0TWO%20DAY.gdb

That is going to be a great trip.
    Wel Jel as I believe they say down your way Richard.

Have a great time all - I hope the weather holds for you.

1.Wapping
    2. RUS25R
    3. adventuredon
    4. Mucky Helmet
    5. GS Bloke
    6. Major Gadget
    7. Phil954 (via another site)
    8. Brenchleyhibs
    9. Paula (via another site)
    10. Dxtans and Mrs Dxtans (double)

See you all at the terminal.

DON'T FORGET YOUR PACKED LUNCH!

I have sent everyone my mobile number.

Richard

I have received one cry-off.

One spare place available if anyone wants to join us.

Richard

No more takers?

OK, no problem, I'll drop one room off the booking. See you all at Folkestone.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Are we still on for the 17th April Richard. I cant find the thread.

Hope the fog isn't as bad tomorrow as the last few days, that'll be fun.
    I'm heading down the Premier Inn tonight, looking forward to it

I'm not on a GS either, Blue Yamaha Super Tenere.

Excellent Richard, you have even managed to secure some fine weather for us!!

See you in the morning!

The wounded soldier will see you all tomorrow.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...=1#post3743105

A great start to the year's Wanders, I thought. Catching the earlier return train was a real bonus, not least as there was a mile and half of queue at the Blackwall Tunnel.

Arras works well as an overnight stop, whilst the route could work just as well in reverse, anti-clockwise.

My thanks to everyone who came along, particularly to those returning after a protracted absence, coming from further than Kent, the first timer and all the rest.... So that's everyone!

Richard

Thanks again Richard for a organizing a great weekend, couldn't have been a better start to the year. Great bunch of people, hope to see you all again soon.

Thanks, Russ

A great weekend with great people, had a real good laugh, thanks to Mucky Helmet for helping when nothing at all happened to my bike.
    Total mileage for me 660.

Thank you Richard, a superbly organized weekend away, even with Phil! lol Great routes, cracking mixed pace and a great selection of roads, even fields for me too!. Lovely to meet you all and everything was so easy and chilled. Highly recommended, but keep it on the down low! Loved it. Will be signing up to more. Except the depressing ride home! Cracking jaunt. Thank you for giving up your time. Don

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast