First Wander 2014 - 15 / 16 March

Wapping

Reaction score
Two days away.

Out Saturday 15 March, train at 08:20

Return Sunday 16 March, train at 18:50

Train booked £30 return.

What's on offer....

A Wander suitable for anyone who can ride a motorbike.

Particularly suitable for anyone who hasn't ridden abroad much or at all. We will be riding down most of the sort of roads you'll encounter on any 'normal' day out in France: A bit of motorway, some dual carriageway, some A and B roads, towns and villages. The second day will be over 200 miles, for sure.

A good way to blow the cobwebs out of the system.

A full day out on Saturday, with a mixture of roads as usual.

A full day out on Sunday, with a mixture of roads.

Number of bikes: Six, of which I am one. Pillions welcome. I am going to put a cap on it as a big group in what might not be great weather becomes hard work for everyone.

Richard

PS If we are feet deep in snow I ain't going. Seriously, if it looks like France is frozen hard, then I will pull the jaunt. There is no fun in riding around on sheet ice.

If it's just cold and / or raining, I will be going.

Excellent, we are on a roll.

1.Wapping
2. RUS25R
3. adventuredon
4. Mucky Helmet
5. Spare
6. Spare

7. dxtans (and Mrs dxtans)

I have a vague memory that I promised to hold a place for dxtans and mrs dxtans. If I did, then I'll take it up to seven bikes.

As we are crossing over earlier, I think we can detour up towards the Belgian border and pass through Ypres or somewhere similar and maybe take in a bit of WW1 stuff. I have a route pencilled in that will end up in Arras, after about 150 miles. We won't have a heap of time to look at every graveyard but enough for bods to see where they are and make a return trip if they fancy it.

It may be an idea to to what we have done before and bring a packed lunch to scoff, that will give us a bit more time.

I have only stayed in Arras once (and can't remember much about it) but I think it will be OK, so I have reserved us all rooms in the Ibis. The hotel, unlike many of the others, is very central so we should be able to find a bar and a restaurant for some grub. As usual, I have made the hotel reservation by using my credit card as security.

Re Buying the train ticket. By all means wait but have in mind that the prices may go up. I looked at making a booking in April and all the cheap two-day returns had sold out. You can always transfer the ticket to another day.

Richard

1.Wapping
2. RUS25R
3. adventuredon
4. Mucky Helmet
5. Dxtans and Mrs Dxtans
6. spare
7. spare

Excellent a full house of bods wanting to get soaked and blown away.

Slots six and seven sold to GS Bloke and Major Gadget.

I will ping up the Garmin GPS routes nearer the time. For any TomTom riders out there I may even do a .gpx version, too.

I will also circulate everyone with my mobile number. If you could let me have yors back that would be great. I realise that I may have had them before but I have a new phone and want to take the opportunity of bringing everyone's details up-to-date.

As usual, I plan to be at the 'passenger experience thing' in good time to make our departure slot. I'll route us out through the petrol station as usual, just to make sure everyone is together and then set off from there. A reminder or details of any changes (hopefully none) nearer the time.

Richard

Excellent, we are on a roll.

I have only stayed in Arras once (and can't remember much about it) but I think it will be OK, so I have reserved us all rooms in the Ibis. The hotel, unlike many of the others, is very central so we should be able to find a bar and a restaurant for some grub.

Richard

Hello Richard,
The ibis hotel in Arras is a very pleasant one and as you stated centrally located to the main square.
Under the square is a secured car park. When Pauline and I have stayed at the Ibis we have parked our bike there.

dxtans

+1 for the Ibis Arras.
Very clean, well located hotel & there are dozens of places to eat & drink within a 2 minute walk.
I'm very jealous & was definitely up for this trip but suspect Mrs Tim may have a weekend away organised in March for my birthday. Unfortunately as it's supposed to be a surprise I can't ask her what dates she's got planned.
Don't be surprised to receive a late 'Can I come too' request towards the end of February.

I always use the Travelodge about 2 junctions up the motorway. Book early enough and you can get a room for £19.
There are a couple of generic places to eat and just over the motorway via the roundabout there's a supermarket where you can fill up with fuel so you don't keep anyone waiting in t'other side.

As this is quite an early start, can anyone recommend some cheap digs for the Fri night close ish to the tunnel?
Ta

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi Rob, in addition to the travel lodge at jct 10 there is a quite Premier inn (Ashford North) on the A20 just before Ashord, taking bookings today for £29.

As this is quite an early start, can anyone recommend some cheap digs for the Fri night close ish to the tunnel?
Ta

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

GS Bloke, you're welcome to stay at my house on the Friday night if you want, I'm about ten mins from the Tunnel. Garage for the bike. Obviously this offer doesn't apply if you're an axe murderer, a predatory pervert or an illegal immigrant!

PM me if you want.

Back
Top Bottom