Car Garmin GPS advice

MickDB1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am after a Garmin GPS for the car- with full postcode search - and to be able to send routes to/from me computer with Garmin mapsorse. The bigger the screen the better . maybe with a SD card for the mapping = Any recommendations please - I am after a cheap second hand un - age dont matter as long as it works simple - I am wanting to upgrrage the mapping with openstreetmap

2nd hand I would be looking for a Garmin Nuvi 765T. I used to use ours on the bike but since purchasing a Zumo 660 it's relegated to use in the car. Does everything you want. They do pop up on eBay every now and then though do seem increasingly rare..

Garmin used to list the number of routes a GPS would hold on the spec. panel for each model on their website. Those that couldn't had a zero. I note that this has now been removed in a dumbing down process. Thanks for that list, I hope that they keep it up to date.

The number of routes listed is the number that can be held in the menu for immediate access. If you wish you can have hundreds on your SD card or internal memory and swap these around as needed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Some guidance as to what devices can hold routes:
https://support.garmin.com/support/...caseId={affd6860-aeb4-11de-6d61-000000000000}

BTW Just bought a new Garmin nuvi 3597, large display is simply brilliant, best I've seen to date, holds 100 routes, 1000 waypoints, stores tracklog, even shows rain radar :eek: :thumb2

Just as long as you don't mount the bloody thing on the windscreen. I see so many mounted almost straight in front of the driver, obviously the Sat Nav is more important than seeing what is on the road. I recently bought a Garmin for the car and choose one that I could mount in such a way as not to obscure any of the road. Sometimes smaller is better.

John

Thanks for the very informative posts so far
I dont always want to just "go to" - I like to create a route on me computer and send it to the unit
Can most of the car units do this option
I love the 2610s but they are dated to say the least
Again thanks

Thanks for the very informative posts so far
I dont always want to just "go to" - I like to create a route on me computer and send it to the unit
Can most of the car units do this option
I love the 2610s but they are dated to say the least
Again thanks
"I like to create a route on me computer and send it to the unit
Can most of the car units do this option" - NO, go by the list on Garmin's website

Don't bother with any of the old Streetpilot series, good in their day, hopelessly outdated by today's standards

Here's the current list from the Garmin link I gave, I can't recommend one from another myself, you could look at eBay for prices of S/h units

The following devices can hold up to 10 routes

nuvi 700 series
nuvi 705 series
nuvi 800 series
nuvi 805 series
nuvi 1400 series
nuvi 1690
nuvi 5000
nuvi 295W
zumo 220

The following devices can hold up to 15 routes

Camper 760
nuvi 465
RV 760
dezl series

The following devices can hold up to 20 routes

GPS V
StreetPilot
StreetPilot Colormap
zumo 660
zumo 665

The following devices can hold up to 50 routes

nuvi 500 series
Quest
Quest 2
StreetPilot III
StreetPilot 2600 series
StreetPilot 2700 series
StreetPilot 2800 series
StreetPilot 7000 series
zumo 400 series
zumo 500 series

The following devices can hold up to 100 routes

nuvi 2200 series
nuvi 2300 series
nuvi 2400 series
nuvi 2405 series
nuvi 2407 series
nuvi 2408 series
nuvi 2505 series
nuvi 2507 series
nuvi 2508 series
nuvi 2707 series
nuvi 2708 series
nuvi 3400 series
nuvi 3500 series
nuvi 3507 series < (mines the 3597... ebbo)
nuvi 3508 series
nuvi 3700 series
LIVE 1695
LIVE 2300 series
zumo 350
zumo 390

If your automotive device series is not listed above, it does not support multiple stop routing.

P.S., we tried transferring routes from the SD card to the satnav in our Zumo's a couple of years back, all the routes were hopelessly corrupted by the transfer in both devises every time, If Garmin have fixed this issue carry on, otherwise, beware!

Back
Top Bottom