Riding Skills Question???

Deletedmemberjdcxxx

Reaction score
Morning All,

I've been a bit caught out in the last few weeks riding blind bends that tighten up suddenly. I don't mean a knee down scenario just a typical medium fast bend that sharpens up into a tighter bend.

I'm fine with speed / gear / position etc. but find that once I enter the bend and lean over I'm staying on the same line and wandering closer to oncoming traffic instead of turning more sharply. So I'm looking for some advice on making adjustments during a bend when you're already leaning over. I've been able to resist grabbing the brake and I'm still alive so nothing terrible has happened but I'm sure there's a technique for increasing your lean and finding a tighter line through the bend.

Thanks in advance,

John.

Join the IAM, they'll teach you everything you need to know about being a better rider

Thanks JB, I have been thinking about IAM / ROSPA but I'd like a some advice on this particular issue ASAP.

Look at the vanishing point (if it moves towards you the bend is tightening, if it moves away the bend is opening) and look as far ahead as you can, your eyes should be flittering all over the place feeding you as much information possible about the world around you AND the road ahead.....

reading the road is easy.
predicting the actions of others isn't.

Look where you want to go and push the inner bar away from you. If it is really tight slide of the saddle to the inside of the bend.

No expert but when in similar trouble I just fix my sight on where I want to go, counter steer more and accelerate. I believe the bike is so much more able than I am so generally I tend to accelerate out of trouble. It has worked for me up to now...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

So I'm looking for some advice on making adjustments during a bend when you're already leaning over.

As others have said. Sounds like you need to practise countersteering techniques. Google will feed you all the info.

Winter isn't best for exploring the limits of cornering technique...........................best wait for some warmer weather:D

+1 on the IAM/Rospa and agree with the counter steer comments. As the bend tightens gently increase pressure on the inside bar and don't close the throttle. It's better to lowside from loosing traction and have the ability to kick yourself away from the bike and other hazards like oncoming traffic than to run wide and have a head on with another vehicle or hit road furniture or a tree.

Hi John

I'm going to move this thread over to another section of the forum for you where I think you'll get a better response. I can see you're not a newbie having been with us since February 2008 :thumb2

Any problems, just shout in this thread, we're here to help.

Good luck with the off-road activities, you'll love it once you get into it ..... I thoroughly enjoy it.

Hi,

I'd recommend these guys:

http://www.superbikeschool.co.uk

They teach a very logical, progressive way of learning how to get a bike around bends which applies (on road) as much to GSs as it does to R1s.

Don't be put off by the fact that it is circuit based. Speeds are kept low, and it is very much a learning environment which alternates classroom theory sessions with practice on the bike.

Also, if you're new to circuits, it can be a right hoot... and you could find you enjoy the smooth stuff as much as the dirt.

RDD

Winter isn't best for exploring the limits of cornering technique...........................best wait for some warmer weather:D

The limits on less grippy surfaces mean reduced speeds but the question the O.P. asked remains valid and can as easily be addressed as on a good surface.

Use the vanishing point to match your speed to your vision is absolutely right. If you need guidance to determine the relationship twixt the two seek professional advice. If you are going in at what you think is the right speed for the bend and it 'suddenly tightens' on you it probably needs some adjustment.

I appreciate the 'use counter steering' comments ( adjust your line ), but the problem I see is the the primary principle of how to use vanishing points in blind bends is already compromised. If the bend then tightens further still having leant the bike more you may be stuffed !

In slow - out fast but wait until you can determine the severity of the bend and clearly see the road surface which you intend to use to get round it before you commit yourself it removes the necessity re adjust part way round.

What happens if you go into a bend that tightens up and you don't have the option to change your line to get round ?

That's why the Vanishing Point used intelligently works.

...........also positioning when approaching a bend;

Over to the right when entering a l/h bend gives you the best view throught the bend and means you are less likely to run wide on your exit.

Visa versa for r/h bends.

Observation - pick up clues such as the tops of hedge lines, telegraph poles, tress following the road; you can tell where the road is going long before you see where the actual road itself is going IYSWIM.

Check out Giles's 'Thin Black Line' threads in here, well written and lots of good advice from somebody that knows what they are talking about (sometimes :D).

Andres

Take a read of this - http://files.meetup.com/7207392/FullControl.pdf

Essentially it as said above:
  • Watch the vanishing point to determine sharpness of the corner
  • Counter steer
  • Look for visual indications where the corner goes.
  • Do not brake.

Either way, if your observations skills are up to par there should be no surprises.

As an ex IAM Observer, I am bound to recommend the IAM :)

The limits on less grippy surfaces mean reduced speeds but the question the O.P. asked remains valid and can as easily be addressed as on a good surface.

Use the vanishing point to match your speed to your vision is absolutely right. If you need guidance to determine the relationship twixt the two seek professional advice. If you are going in at what you think is the right speed for the bend and it 'suddenly tightens' on you it probably needs some adjustment.

I appreciate the 'use counter steering' comments ( adjust your line ), but the problem I see is the the primary principle of how to use vanishing points in blind bends is already compromised. If the bend then tightens further still having leant the bike more you may be stuffed !

In slow - out fast but wait until you can determine the severity of the bend and clearly see the road surface which you intend to use to get round it before you commit yourself it removes the necessity re adjust part way round.

What happens if you go into a bend that tightens up and you don't have the option to change your line to get round ?

That's why the Vanishing Point used intelligently works.

Agreed Sir

However maybe naively I was advising against 'pushing the envelope' at this time of year

Morning All,

I've been a bit caught out in the last few weeks riding blind bends that tighten up suddenly. I don't mean a knee down scenario just a typical medium fast bend that sharpens up into a tighter bend.

I'm fine with speed / gear / position etc. but find that once I enter the bend and lean over I'm staying on the same line and wandering closer to oncoming traffic instead of turning more sharply. So I'm looking for some advice on making adjustments during a bend when you're already leaning over. I've been able to resist grabbing the brake and I'm still alive so nothing terrible has happened but I'm sure there's a technique for increasing your lean and finding a tighter line through the bend.

Thanks in advance,

John.

If you have misread things and the bend tightens up on you unexpectedly all you can do is keep off the brakes and lean more, unless you are going like a bat out of hell the chances are that you will make it round - best not to get into that place to start with :D

Back
Top Bottom