STELVIO TEST RIDE TOMORROW

Big Al Litch

Reaction score
Off for a test ride of a new Stelvio NTX tomorrow.

Had the GS for over 10-years now and looking for a change come April.
Not interested in another BMW and really have my heart on the Stelvio (owned a MK1 Le Mans years ago) although common sense says I should also check out the Tiger Explorer so will be testing one of them on monday.

Hope the Stelvio lives up to my expectations, will report back. :D

I had one. Supremely comfortable touring bike. Very heavy especially when the 32ltr tank is brimmed. High standard spec inc braded brake lines and bembo brakes. My only issue was the viby motor caused fixtures n fitting to rattle loose and I was always Re-tightening nuts and bolts with thread lock in a bid to keep the bike whole. Good luck with the demo, it's a hell of an engine ;-)

Good luck.... Booked a test ride on a 'griso' a couple of years ago, arrived, got all geared up, signed paperwork disclaimer, and waited.......hour and a half later the dealer came out to tell me that 'no one could get it started'..... Seems an electrical gremlin was involved...... I hope you have better luck, I do love guzzi's, like you, I rode a le mans many years ago, and love the look of the new range......

I had one of the first Stelvios. Rode it all around the UK and across Europe. Never missed a beat.

It's heavy and less agile than a GS but IMHO has bags of character - I loved the way it rocked from side to side when revved at lights!

Enjoy the test...

I hope you enjoy it. I'm on my second Stelvio ( a 2011 NTX with the 32ltr fuel tank), I've had it since new in October '11. It's a fantastic bike, as mentioned very comfortable, a great engine, it handles well and has bags of character. I swapped my GS1150 after six years of ownership for a new 2009 Stelvio, they feel similar in some ways but the Guzzi engine felt better to me, and I think the standard of finish is better on the Moto Guzzi. The seat height is adjustable which is just as well, the bike is quite heavy when fully fuelled, I'm a 30" inside leg, and I can just manage to get both feet on the ground.
Both of my bikes have been reliable over four years and a combined mileage of 23,000, but the first bike did have two minor issues. The first was the speedo sensor stopped working in heavy rain, this was replaced at first service. The second issue was a misfire caused by a defective spark plug cap, this was cured by fitting NGK items. If you like to maintain your own bike you will find the Stelvio very user friendly, that is apart from the need for computer diagnostic equipment for the Fuelling system (but that applies to all modern bikes unfortunately) just make sure to use good quality 10/60 engine oil.
Some of the early (2008/9) models including Grisos and 1200 Sports had a camshaft follower fault and were subject to a recall, and some later Stelvios were subject to a recall to have the centre stand replaced.

Enjoy the test ride,then buy it! Bloody good motorcycle. I have a 2011 Stelvio NTX,my first ever Guzzi in 48 years of motorcycling,and, having owned 2 GSAdventures (never had any problems with either of those) I would choose the Stelvio over a GS any day. In addition to its excelent handling,fuel range,ease of maintenance and long distance comfort(I also have Goldwings,so I know all about comfort!)The Stelvio has something that cannot be found in any Touratech catalogue; Character.
Just my opinion,of course.

Well. Rubbish weather yesterday morning and a 100-mile trip before I even got to the dealer but it was worth it. :thumb2

The NTX looks really good in the flesh and even with the 7Gal tank full to the brim I couldn't get over how compact & light it felt!
I tried wheeling it around the showroom first to get a feel for it and to see how it compared with the GS (I push my GS backwards down the drive, around the LR & wheeliebins and then do a hard turn to get into the garage, that way it means that of a morning I just have to push it forwards a few feet and I can ride straight off). It was really well balanced and despite the weight just didn't feel as heavy. Swung my leg over and it really gives the impression of being narrow, no problems with my left knee hitting the NS cylinder head (which was a reall issue with my Mk1 Le Mans).
Test bike only had 40-miles on the clock and felt really good. It pulled well and the gearbox is really sweet. It wasn't as smooth as the GS but nothing I couldn't live with (or haven't lived with before), the mirrors are excellent but do tend to blur at M-way speeds. Turbulence from the screen meant that at over 60MPH I had to close my visor but that is hardly a fair comparison as the GS wears a tall Wunderlich screen and Tobinators, when it was standard it was no better. I didn't play with the suspension but as it was I found the front too soft for the rear too firm, I know this isn't a general issue and is something a bit of trial & error would soon put right.
Despite never having really got to grips with the BMW indicator switches (10-years ownership can't compare with the previous 22-years of conventional switchgear) it first felt a little strange to have a "normal" switch again but it soon felt right. All the other controls were good and I can only hope that the twin headlights are better than the poor GS affair (aux LED's might not be required this time although the NTX is fitted with front fogs). Despite the GS being the only bike I have ever owned with a gear position indicator I found I missed it on the Guzzi but it is hardly a deal breaker and made up for by the external temp guage.
Finish looked to be top quality, as already stated all hoses are braided SS and it oozes quality. Really liked the Trax panniers (badged MG), I had already decided I liked them before I found out MG used them as OE. Stelvio options which I would have are the Trax topbox and heated grips, dealer would also fit a hugger & Fenda Extenda before it left the showroom (just as on the demo bike and my GS).

While I was there a customer came in who has owned two NTX's (current one on 40K+ miles). He had nothing bad to say about the bike and was a walking / talking advert for the model.
I was offered what I thought was a very reasonable trade-in for the GS, price holds until 1st March (new reg) and a new bike can be ordered & delivered in about 2-weeks so no need to haggle over an old stock bike which might be in the wrong colour or have had people swarming all over it. :D

Test riding a Tiger Explorer tomorrow, can't really say they appeal to me but I feel I should compare the Stelvio against something else currently on the market. Don't want the extra power and the OE luggage looks awful so the Trax items would get a look in again!
When I first went and looked at one a couple of weeks ago I was really put off by the attitude of the dealer so I declined the offer of a test-ride that day. Now I have riden the Stelvio I will take up his offer but in the event I decide to purchse I would travel slightly further afield to another dealer.

Watch this space. :)

Explorer test-ride done and I have to say i'm not altogether taken with it.

It did everything ok and a couple of things were clearly better than the Stelveo (screen, low-speed crawling in traffic) but it didn't quite "do it" for me. It wasn't as relaxing to ride as the GS or Stelveo and didn't have the compact feel of the Stelveo.

Ah decisions decisions.
Wanted to make the change after 1st March and neither bike has a long lead time from ordering to delivery so still have a few weeks to make up my mind.

I know you said that you don't want another GS, but you must like something about them if you've had one for 10 years.:nenau Why not have a test ride on the new GS? You've got nothing to lose.

I know you said that you don't want another GS, but you must like something about them if you've had one for 10 years.:nenau Why not have a test ride on the new GS? You've got nothing to lose.

Maybe he fancies a bike that's a a little more exclusive, every man and his dog have a GS these days.

One thing to watch out for on the Stelvio - heated grips.

The OEM ones are CRAP. Not only are they not very hot, you can only access the controls through the computer when the bike is stationary. How stupid is that???

I paid to have my OEM ones taken off and replaced with a set of trusty Oxfords.

Apart from that and the unbelievable slow response speed of the computer to the mode button (like being back on dial-up) I loved my Stelvio.

Not as much as my Multistrada though!

:beerjug:

Great Bike :thumb2

I really fancied one, but the Mrs did not like it on the back, don't really know why, but that combined with the slight concern over reliability / dealer support pushed me towards the Yamaha, but the Stelvio was a joy to ride I am sure you will love it.

I love the look of the Stelvio apart from the front headlamps for some reason. Have always fancied a Guzzi, again, no particular reason, I guess in the same way I've always fancied Meg Ryan. What you can't have eh? Good luck with the test ride.

One thing to watch out for on the Stelvio - heated grips.

The OEM ones are CRAP. Not only are they not very hot, you can only access the controls through the computer when the bike is stationary. How stupid is that???

I paid to have my OEM ones taken off and replaced with a set of trusty Oxfords.

Apart from that and the unbelievable slow response speed of the computer to the mode button (like being back on dial-up) I loved my Stelvio.

Not as much as my Multistrada though!

:beerjug:

That was on the 2008 to 2010 models. From 2011 the heated grips have a different and much easier operating method and can be activated on the move. I agree the standard grips don't give out as much heat as the BMW grips or Oxford grips, I find them adequate but there is room for improvement. You could fit Oxford grips and operate them with the standard Guzzi switch.

Struck a deal on the Guzzi today so the GS goes in as PX and I ride away on my NTX on 1st March.
Looking forward to becoming a Guzzi owner again (20-years since the last one). :D

Back
Top Bottom