ABS - southport superbikes

Larton'GS'er

Reaction score
Rolled bike out last week for a trundle. Went two miles and noticed brake failure light on. Rang Southport Superbikes who were great and put it on the diagnostics within the hour. Error codes pointed to ABS pump/ controller. Agggghhhhhh!
Imagine your worst nightmare ... This was worse! Have you seen the price of this job?
The bike is Jan2008 with 24000 miles and regularly serviced and well maintained.
This is one of those jobs that when they need doing, you wish it wasn't a BMW !
However, I have to give credit where it's due and heap praise on Southport Superbikes and especially to Becky in the service department who did the business and managed to get BMW to supply the new part with me having to just pay the labour.
I like riding my GS but sometimes question the costs. I must say though on this occasion, the back up was excellent and restores confidence in the brand.
Well done Becky ( and best mention Steve too ! ) and Southport Superbikes.
See you soon for the service - now that I've bought the oil up front!!

Rolled bike out last week for a trundle. Went two miles and noticed brake failure light on. Rang Southport Superbikes who were great and put it on the diagnostics within the hour. Error codes pointed to ABS pump/ controller. Agggghhhhhh!
Imagine your worst nightmare ... This was worse! Have you seen the price of this job?
The bike is Jan2008 with 24000 miles and regularly serviced and well maintained.
However, I have to give credit where it's due and heap praise on Southport Superbikes and especially to Becky in the service department who did the business and managed to get BMW to supply the new part with me having to just pay the labour.
I like riding my GS but sometimes question the costs. I must say though on this occasion, the back up was excellent and restores confidence in the brand.

Had exactly the same service from Williams BMW Manchester some six years ago on my 1150gs.
I think they replace the pump because of a known manufacturing fault. My bike was four years old with only partial service history and they still supplied the pump for " FREE " as long as I paid the labour cost. Original cost I think was over £700.
I paid somewhere around £300 for the labour.
If I new then, what I know now, I would have had it removed, still six years on I've got that to look forward too :blast

I know what you mean always had great service there and Becky kept my hands warm last winter :beerjug::beerjug:

Always had good service from SS myself

I had the same problem but, being in the middle of Croatia, decided to carry on until I got home so stuck insulating tape over warning lights, Homer Simpson style. Then, luckily (?), the battery packed up and I replaced it. The ABS/ Brake Failure lights disappeared as soon as I put the new battery in. Just saying, like. So, all told it was a relatively uneventful trip as the final drive had the good grace to fail just before setting off. :D

+1 for Becky @ SS. Had my rear shock go at < 24000 and she sorted everything.

The battery condition is key to many faults on the GS. A tiptop voltage is important on a bike with so much electronic kit. Good news that a new battery sorted your ABS light. Certainly a lot cheaper.

Sorry that this is a long tale, but it is worth telling:-
Last year I went to the Black Forest on the Guzzi and got a misfire before I had even got to Ashford - chucking it down in the UK for a change.
Stayed the next night in Bokum and got my better half to look up a Guzzi dealer on our route. Ended up in MOTO PLUS in Karlsruhe after one phone call and a slight detour.

On arrival, I hadn't even got off the bike and they were out asking if we were the ones that phoned.
Within 5 mins the bike was on a ramp being stripped (red hot as we had just covered 170 miles and it was 36 ded C) and were given cold drinks in an air conditioned show room. :beerjug:
20 mins later they announce the problem is sorted - would I like to see what they had found - loose connection.
Job was boxed off and test ridden - cost? ........... 15 euros!!!!!
These guys just could not do enough to help!! :banana

2 weeks later I'm in Bill Smiths in Chester and relayed the tale, guess what they said?

"Oh, we couldn't possibly do that - we are very busy in June and you would have to wait two weeks"!!!!!

This my friends is why I enjoy touring abroad so much.

Thank god all bike shops are not like Bill Smiths (mind there are worse out there!):eek:

A good girl is Becky. Good result for you :thumb.

Sorry that this is a long tale, but it is worth telling:-
Last year I went to the Black Forest on the Guzzi and got a misfire before I had even got to Ashford - chucking it down in the UK for a change.
Stayed the next night in Bokum and got my better half to look up a Guzzi dealer on our route. Ended up in MOTO PLUS in Karlsruhe after one phone call and a slight detour.

On arrival, I hadn't even got off the bike and they were out asking if we were the ones that phoned.
Within 5 mins the bike was on a ramp being stripped (red hot as we had just covered 170 miles and it was 36 ded C) and were given cold drinks in an air conditioned show room. :beerjug:
20 mins later they announce the problem is sorted - would I like to see what they had found - loose connection.
Job was boxed off and test ridden - cost? ........... 15 euros!!!!!
These guys just could not do enough to help!! :banana

2 weeks later I'm in Bill Smiths in Chester and relayed the tale, guess what they said?

"Oh, we couldn't possibly do that - we are very busy in June and you would have to wait two weeks"!!!!!

This my friends is why I enjoy touring abroad so much.

Thank god all bike shops are not like Bill Smiths (mind there are worse out there!):eek:

Geordie after living in Germany for best part of 20 years I know exactly where you are coming from

It's not only a different mind set it's a different league, not taking anything away from some of the excellent uk dealers, it's just the ones I really remember for outstanding service and support are in Europe

It's all about the service

I do miss those days

Sent from my iPad using Technology I do not understand

Back
Top Bottom