Put in a stupid offer and they said yes....

MikeS

Bloke
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
....so I am now collecting a nearly new on of these next week.

Attachments

• BMW R1200R 90th ani 13  1.jpg
    BMW R1200R 90th ani 13 1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,502
Dealer, ebay, private sale? - and how much below asking price did you get it for? C'mon spill the beans:clap

What's it for? :nenau

Genuine question by the way.

It's a motorbike.....remember before we had all these niche models?

Luggage and a screen.....probably what most GS riders really need?

I quite like them.

:beerjug:

"What's it for?

Genuine question by the way. "

No idea really, I'll just stick in the garage and let it gather dust like a usually do :blast

Put on a small screen, the panniers and top-box - and you have a great touring machine. :thumb2

(Of course - you won't get that "road presence" that a GS provides you with :rolleyes:)

Al :)

Re-selling - you may lose whatever saving you made, in not buying the GS of course.

"What's it for?

Genuine question by the way. "

No idea really, I'll just stick in the garage and let it gather dust like a usually do :blast

It is a nice looking bike, but unless you are able to buy it and run it just as a fun, weekend, fairweather toy (and hats off to you if you are, fucking enjoy it! :bow) then the question remains.

It's sort of caught in the middle of so many things....it's not a SuperMotard, nor a superbike.
It's not a tourer or even a commuter
It's not a poseur or a tarty farkler, nor an objet d'art that could be parked in your living room as a very cool thing to fondle like some bikes are (to some)
It's not an offroader or a 'fun' bike
It has no luggage capacity nor pillion appeal

No, bikes do not 'have' to be 'for' anything, but it helps when they have at least some purpose or role to fulfill :nenau

I've had a couple of R1150Rs as loaners, and for that purpose, they were great......the perfect choice for a BMW dealer in fact, as they are/were from the same family as the GSA I'd taken in for service or work on, they were sparky and fun enough to enjoy for a day or two, but the dealer could rest easy, confident that the RxxxxR wouldn't ever be abused, forded, taken up country let alone toured on etc etc.

If you are in the really nice position of being able to enjoy it for what it is, that's great, and more power to your elbow :clap but otherwise, I honestly don't get what it's for.

It looks like a really nice retro bike to me. That means it will do it all. Just like bikes did in 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. Nice one :)

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

It is a nice looking bike, but unless you are able to buy it and run it just as a fun, weekend, fairweather toy (and hats off to you if you are, fucking enjoy it! :bow) then the question remains.

It's sort of caught in the middle of so many things....it's not a SuperMotard, nor a superbike.
It's not a poseur or a tarty farkler, nor an objet d'art that could be parked in your living room as a very cool thing to fondle like some bikes are (to some)

No, bikes do not 'have' to be 'for' anything, but it helps when they have at least some purpose or role to fulfill :nenau

I've had a couple of R1150Rs as loaners, and for that purpose, they were great......the perfect choice for a BMW dealer in fact, as they are/were from the same family as the GSA I'd taken in for service or work on, they were sparky and fun enough to enjoy for a day or two, but the dealer could rest easy, confident that the RxxxxR wouldn't ever be abused, forded, taken up country let alone toured on etc etc.

If you are in the really nice position of being able to enjoy it for what it is, that's great, and more power to your elbow :clap but otherwise, I honestly don't get what it's for.

It's a standard bike or as close as we get these days: There are luggage and screen options?

Does it have to be a super-sports or motard or adventure?

:rob

It's a standard bike or as close as we get these days: There are luggage and screen options?

Does it have to be a super-sports or motard or adventure?

:rob

No, not at all.

I'm not knocking it Chris, it's a nice bike, and as close as you can probably get to a 'basic' but well built modern motorcycle nowadays.

It just doesn't tick any boxes apart from being a good solid basic motorcycle, and there are few people who can justify that as a buying criteria.

I honestly wish Mike the best of luck with it, and I hope he enjoys it, but unless you're in the position to buy a bike just because it is a nice bike that does nothing apart from being that, I don't 'get it'

I think they will be great all rounders, much the same as my Breva 1100, screen added, panniers fitted and it's a tourer without all that plastic of the Rt and lighter to boot, mine is the do anything bike, nice nimble around the lakes, jaunt to Scotland, hot day cold day usable, great to get you places and fun when you get there, no pretence of going around the world :thumb

It just doesn't tick any boxes apart from being a good solid basic motorcycle, and there are few people who can justify that as a buying criteria.
'Good solid basic motorcycle' seems to be a good box to tick.:nenau

No, not at all.

I'm not knocking it Chris, it's a nice bike, and as close as you can probably get to a 'basic' but well built modern motorcycle nowadays.

I honestly wish Mike the best of luck with it, and I hope he enjoys it, but unless you're in the position to buy a bike just because it is a nice bike that does nothing apart from being that, I don't 'get it'

A mate has one and loves it.
He used to have a GS and got lent one whilst GS was being serviced.He preferred the R so sold the GS.Most reviews seem to have the same conclusion.It handles better than a GS and is better on the road-and how may tossers ever take their GS offroad-and yes,I'm sure an R could go down a gravel track !!!

So I get it entirely-fit a screen and panniers and secretly know that you are riding a great bike and not just because everybody else bought the bloody thing.

And save thousands on those who are waiting for a new Nine T,or whatever it's called.Basically an R,but for midgets with an arty farty streak and money to burn !!!

Mike S,I salute you !!! Nice bike !!!

No, not at all.

Fanum, I have no problem with your comments and I am impressed that you can be bothered to say so much about a bike your are not interested in.

Anyway, just to answer your question, I am buying it as a light weight tourer, as proper touring bikes are too big and they don't handle as well as I want them to (just sold an R1200RT). I don't need it to go off road as I have other bikes for that. A standard 1200GS would probably do a similar job but I have had those and I am now at the point where I don't want an off road style bike that I am never going to take off road. The fact that it is understated and fairly uncommon is an added bonus, it ticks all the boxes.

Fanum, I have no problem with your comments and I am impressed that you can be bothered to say so much about a bike your are not interested in.

Anyway, just to answer your question, I am buying it as a light weight tourer, as proper touring bikes are too big and they don't handle as well as I want them to (just sold an R1200RT). I don't need it to go off road as I have other bikes for that. A standard 1200GS would probably do a similar job but I have had those and I am now at the point where I don't want an off road style bike that I am never going to take off road. The fact that it is understated and fairly uncommon is an added bonus, it ticks all the boxes.

......And I hope you enjoy it Mike, and that it fulfils all you expect of it. :beerjug:

It wasn't that I have no interest in it BTW.........like I said, it's a nice looking bike and if given the chance, I'd grab the keys for a ride on the right sort of day for it without hesitation.
I must admit I'm still a little puzzled by what you expect from it, but I've ridden neither a 1200RT or an R1200R, so my expectations of how they ride are purely that, rather than being based on any experience.

Let us know how you get on with it :beerjug:

Absolutely - The panniers for that bike are good, lower CoG than the GS, Choice of any make/type of road tyre. Only downside (if it matters) - is a slightly smaller tank-capacity?

Otherwise - Makes sense.

Al ;)

A mate has one and loves it.
He used to have a GS and got lent one whilst GS was being serviced.He preferred the R so sold the GS.Most reviews seem to have the same conclusion.It handles better than a GS and is better on the road-and how may tossers ever take their GS offroad-and yes,I'm sure an R could go down a gravel track !!!

So I get it entirely-fit a screen and panniers and secretly know that you are riding a great bike and not just because everybody else bought the bloody thing.

And save thousands on those who are waiting for a new Nine T,or whatever it's called.Basically an R,but for midgets with an arty farty streak and money to burn !!!

Mike S,I salute you !!! Nice bike !!!

Spot on! Enjoy the bike Mike :thumb

Dave

Back
Top Bottom