Mapsource on imac through Parallels

itspilsbury

Reaction score
Hi,
I have recently bought a Mac and don't like Basecamp, I struggle to understand it. I find Mapsource much easier to use, is Basecamp actually easier and is it just me?
I have just installed the trial version of Parallels and their Windows 8.1 Preview version onto my Mac, then Mapsource and it works fabulously.
I am just worried that if I spend the £65 to upgrade from the trial of Parallels to the full version if the Windows 8.1 Preview will stop working????? I really don't want that to happen or will it keep running as it is with it's limited functionality (which is more than enough for my Mapsource).

I think I would try and get used to Basecamp. Its an improvement on Mapsource (not that that is saying much). Alternatively, set up BootCamp (for free) on your Mac and boot into Windows when you want to use MapSource.

Parallels and VMware are more trouble than they're worth IMO.

I am so impressed with Parallels, especially its snapshot facility

Keep trying to use BaseCamp, it really is quite good once you get the hang of it. I disliked it at first but persevered, finding that it worked much better on a Mac than a PC.

Don't bother to use the 'Ride a motorbike, these are the roads you want to use to get from A to D via B and C' option. That's just for the hard of thinking. Put it into 'Car' mode and plot a route just as you would in Mapsource. Alternatively, stick it in 'Car' mode, ask it to plot a route from A to D and then rubber band it about to include B and C, going down the roads you want to take.

There are a host of quite useful sub-features (too many to list) that are quite fun and even sometimes quite useful, none of which are present in Mapspource.

Bear with, as they say.

Keep trying to use BaseCamp, it really is quite good once you get the hang of it. I disliked it at first but persevered, finding that it worked much better on a Mac than a PC.

Exactly my experience, I even scuttled back to Mapsource for a few months before trying again. Put a few hours aside for getting to know Basecamp without judging it prematurely. It will 'gel' after a while.

Don't bother to use the 'Ride a motorbike, these are the roads you want to use to get from A to D via B and C' option. That's just for the hard of thinking. Put it into 'Car' mode and plot a route just as you would in Mapsource. Alternatively, stick it in 'Car' mode, ask it to plot a route from A to D and then rubber band it about to include B and C, going down the roads you want to take.

Yep, agree wholeheartedly. One thing, when you put a Zumo 660 (not sure about other Zumo models) into the bike cradle it switches to bike mode automatically. This has some pre-set avoidances that could mess with your carefully plotted route. Have a look here for a video on how to neutralise both the Zumo and Basecamp.

There are a host of quite useful sub-features (too many to list) that are quite fun and even sometimes quite useful, none of which are present in Mapspource.

Mapsource ceased development in November 2010, Basecamp has taken over from it and is subject to continued updates and improvements. It's come quite a way already addressing most of the earlier grumbles (other than being different to Mapsource :rolleyes: ).

And especially don't buy VMWare - the only program I know that can actually crash a Mac

Thanks again, I spent about 3 hours on Basecamp the other day and yes I am getting to grips with it, SLOWLY!
I think the way forward is to persevere with it and save my hard earnt money.

Another problem with parallels is the continual need to upgrade (each year) at a cost - a bit of a con.
Persevere with base camp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be put off either Parallels or Fusion, they are both excellent and do not crash a Mac! I use both for my business as I have to run Windows based software and I do not want to go back to a PC. True you can run BootCamp but the advantage with VMs is that you can have both running at the same time so can swap between them with a simple swipe or you can have the Windows programs running in coherence with the Mac programs all on the same screen.
One thing that I've noticed on both my MacBook Air and my iMac, is that Windows programs appear to run quicker than on a PC, but that could well be an illusion!
One last thing, you don't have to upgrade either Parallels or VM Fusion if you don't want to.
And the very last thing, there are free software offerings out there that do the same thing but I don't know how good they are as I haven't tried them.

Back
Top Bottom