R1100GS long term project

As a man that don't know much, all this stress stuff would fry my brain...but if you wanted more load carrying capacity would another option be a trike?

At moment the only disadvantageges I can think off are, in ain't as cool as an outfit and you'd have to buy a new wardrobe of doggy gear and hankies (soon to be available in The Cactus)

....I'll get me coat :D

maybe you're talking about something else, but if you don't triangulate, you'll overstress the bolt / engine mounts.

triangulation spreads the load across the 2 points.

maybe you're talking about something else, but if you don't triangulate, you'll overstress the bolt / engine mounts.

triangulation spreads the load across the 2 points.
maybe best to wait a bit and see where the other mounts will go;)
but my point remains the same.i will try and explain,
the front subframe is not a suitable mount mainly because the fuel tank covers most of it.
i will be using the front telelever wishbone pivot.(which is part of the engine casing)
there will be four mounts to the bike
two lower. on to the subframe i have fabricated.
one front upper.onto telelever wish bone pivot.
one rear upper.on to rear subframe(the subframe will be braced,and the subframe mounts to the gearbox casing will be reinforced .)

Is there a gearbox hard part fitted to spread the load further Mike?

post 34
is this "hard enough":D

I'm not so sure. The gearbox mount on an 1100 is a well known weak point - to the extent that TT sell a 'hard part' and BMW redesigned the gearbox/subframe mounting completely for the 1150. I'd have my doubts about hanging an outfit off the side of the gearbox casting. If that breaks in the middle of nowhere you'll be in the real trouble.

I'm not so sure. The gearbox mount on an 1100 is a well known weak point - to the extent that TT sell a 'hard part' and BMW redesigned the gearbox/subframe mounting completely for the 1150. I'd have my doubts about hanging an outfit off the side of the gearbox casting. If that breaks in the middle of nowhere you'll be in the real trouble.
firstly,have you looked at the previous photos?
nothing is "hanging" off the gearbox casing,the whole subframe will be welded and cross braced,and is bolted to every available mounting point on the lower engine casings.
regards the BMW/touratec hard part.this item is designed to reduce the risk of gearbox casing failure due to subframe overloading.
as far as i know it is the subframe mounts that snap off the casings.
i dont intend to be carrying a heavy load on the rear of the bike i will have a sidecar for that.
but i have reinforced the mounts anyway.
there are plenty of R1100GS sidecar outfits out there.most of them will not have a frame as strong as this one.
time will tell:D:D:D

Looks good Mikeyboy :thumby:
Given your fabrication skills and the amount of research youv'e done, it would appear despite the negative comments from some, that you know what your doing.

Best of luck mate I for one will be following this thread with interest. :popcorn

i have been quite busy through the summer but have been making steady progress.
with the subframe mostly complete and not really having room to build and store a sidecar chassis i figured it would now best be left until i have a complete bike to attach it to.
so have been concentrating on building the bike.
so i spent a couple of weeks cleaning off the flaking powder coat and corrosion prior to respraying the engine.
will post some photos later,as i need an IT lesson (i have started using my I phone to take piccies but i think the file size is too big to upload)

i also resprayed the swingarm and final drive unit, and fitted new bearings throughout prior to reinstalling.
the first batch of powder coat has been done so i can start to build the bike up now:thumby:

Attachments

• Mikes Iphone pictures 093.jpg
    Mikes Iphone pictures 093.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,765

Back
Top Bottom