K1600 GT recall - February 2014

Wapping

Reaction score
My June 2011 bike has just been recalled.

No great drama. The recall letter states that it's for work to be done on the rear wheel bearing but it's actually for a flash update of the engine management / ignition software. Apparently it's a while you wait job.

Someone at BMW UK got the database tied up in knots. The recall is for one of the 800 models, but in sending the recall letter they called up K16 VINs :blast. The correction letter that quickly followed is a repeat of that sent earlier for some bikes to have an ECU update.

Excellent. As I have an F 800 R too, also a June 11 bike, I am now unsure what bike to take along on Monday. :D

More confusion...

I return to Wapping Towers this evening, to find a second letter on the mat.

This corrects the recall from 'rear wheel bearing' to 'Engine Control Unit' (DME).

Both letters (the earlier one mentioning 'rear wheel bearing' and the later one giving 'ECU' as the reason) give the number plate of my 1600 AND my 1600's VIN number.

I will be taking my 1600 along to Battersea at 07:30 on Monday morning. If it then transpires that I should have brought the 800 we can all have a jolly good laugh at Munich's witty jape.

PS I have a trailer, Nutty. A relic from the time I had my 1200. I called it insurance against the inevitable :D :beerjug:

I will be taking my 1600 along to Battersea at 07:30 on Monday morning. If it then transpires that I should have brought the 800 we can all have a jolly good laugh at Munich's witty jape.

What kind of a GSER response is that.. You can't possibly leave the premises without, at the absolute minimum, threatening to burn it down to the ground.

I fear it may already be in ashes, such is the disgust of several London Tossers over their gear changes.

I am hoping to borrow a 1200 LC; I hope it crunches and bangs like a good-un.

Spoke to a BMW service manager this morning.
It is, infact another update following on from the last update that included the green N.
Something to do with further improvements on the running/gear change

My neutral 'N' is the standard bright white. So, I'm getting an update to an earlier update that I didn't have.

So, in addition to confusion over which bike to take, I'm now faced with maybe being one update behind. The comedy potential is growing.

I am reminded of the update to the early 1200's, designed to cure a problem where some bikes would switch off their peripherals. Mine never did.... But started to when the update was done.... Requiring another update to fix the update that fixed a non-existent problem. High class comedy, bought to you by Das Funny Munich Mens.

Phew, that's over with.

It was a recall for a flash update the 1600's ECU, resulting in a vivid green N idiot light. The green is the same colour as some very nasty child's carton of fake lime juice, loaded with a million E numbers.

It's progress, Jim but not as we know it.

Got my green N the other week and a further letter from Motorrad saying I now need a software update. :blast

Presume that's it for now. :nenau

Comfort and rain modes?

That needs fixing!

Dynamic and two up with luggage..... Ask them to turn them on, pronto.

Phew, that's over with.

It was a recall for a flash update the 1600's ECU, resulting in a vivid green N idiot light. The green is the same colour as some very nasty child's carton of fake lime juice, loaded with a million E numbers.

It's progress, Jim but not as we know it.

Did they lend you an LC? How was the gearbox?:D

I decided that the 5 mile, 20 minute journey from Battersea to London EC3 would not do justice to an 'Adventure' model, such as the GS WC.

So I chewed the fat with the bods instead.

Back
Top Bottom