Talk me out of a Ural

As everyone else has intimated, riding an outfit is totally different from riding a solo. Yes all the controls are the same, but react differently when used on an outfit - so practice is your friend :thumb

Mind you, not everyone can (or is cut out to) ride an outfit. I was selling a CX650 Silverwing coupled to a Squire QM and this very experienced solo motorcyclist(oldish ;) ) chap wanted to buy it to tour round Europe with his wife, thinking that the extra carrying capacity would be ideal. I suggested he try riding it first, and took him to a quiet area to try, even though he insisted that he'd be fine. Off he went, and was back within minutes saying there was something wrong with outfit as it refused to go where he wanted it to and that he was really struggling to handle it. I got him to ride pillion and I took him round the estate (left & right handers, speeding up, slowing down) mainly one-handed whilst holding the throttle with two fingers and a thumb.

I think I impessed him, but he didn't buy the outfit and went off mumbling about getting bigger panniers :blast

first outfit i rode,i crashed into a lamppost,second time around i loved it.
far more involving than a bike in a strange way.
some people will say that they are the worst of both car and bike worlds(stuck in traffic,can't filter.etc.etc)
but in reality on the right journey they are the best.
if you are not in a huge rush and get off the beaten track ,you still have the sensation of being on a bike(smells, sounds ,being outdoors i suppose).
but you can take all your crap with you,kids,dogs.
i know nothing about urals and although i toyed with buying one,i (if i were you) would consider all options of modern bikes unless you feel that you could own what is essentially an enthusiasts machine.
above all get a test ride,with someone who can show you the basics.:thumby:

Back
Top Bottom