Visiting Suffolk - advice needed

Thanks for all the great suggestions all. I think I will settle on Bury St Eds as a base to stay in so will start checking accommodation and try and get something booked in the next week. Looks like loads of great places to visit also, might need to make it a week:D We are members of English Heritage so will be checking out some those locaions while we are there.

Fannykins, will look forward to meeting up with you and Rosie for a ride and some lunch:thumb

I live in Chelmsford so would recommend Saffron Walden as a nice place to visit. It's got some interesting architecture if you look beyond the shop fronts but also has some lovely boutiques. Plus Audley End is nearby.

Finchingfield is a pretty village for a cuppa, bikers meet there every weekend.

Clare is also nice, but not big.

And if you do stay in Bury there's an amazing shop called Beautiful Beers on St John's St, then a few doors down a little cafe called Gastronome which does delicious food and top notch cake.

If you go to aldeburgh for fish and chips get in the Q before you are hungry they are very good :drool but the wait can be long :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 279
I was just going to recommend a visit to Ness Point. The most Easterly point in Britain.

It's nowt special there ;). Just a plaque in an industrial estate.

I raced the sun from lands ends to ness point.
LE is attraction in itself. At NP there's nothin. Very chalk an cheese.

Booked

Ok, I have booked The Fox Inn in Bury St Edmonds for three nights June 20-23rd.:p Well positioned and it has some excellent reviews and looks as if it has plenty of olde worlde charm. Longest day of the year as well :thumb

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/the-fox-bury-saint-edmunds.en-gb.html?aid=303948;label=bury-st-edmunds-QDYF98wC5YWjSXYalWWAHwS8395051101%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=585f79616ad432f9ffc9766418c37846;dcid=1;checkin=2014-06-20;checkout=2014-06-23;srfid=61e5ba602a5e5dc98a9359c605d36c7057d8c28dX2;hide_back_to_sr=1#map_opened

Looking forward to visiting you carrot crunchers now:D, roll on the Summer and the warm weather. :clap:clap:clap

Thanks for all the help everyone.:bounce1

If you go to aldeburgh for fish and chips get in the Q before you are hungry they are very good :drool but the wait can be long :eek:

True. And they shut early too. Normally coastal chippies are open all day.

It's nowt special there ;). Just a plaque in an industrial estate.

I raced the sun from lands ends to ness point.
LE is attraction in itself. At NP there's nothin. Very chalk an cheese.

Also true. But you can say you've been there. I raced the sun from there, to Dingle point, Ireland a few years ago (I won) :D

Move along, move along there is nothing to see here.. Ipswich, Felixstowe and Lowestoft are the top places to see in Suffolk... rolleyes:

In all seriousness I grew up in Bury St Edmunds, before moving to Norwich then down to London. Before moving back to Norwich a couple of years ago. Norfolk and Suffolk have an appeal that's hard to describe. Great little villages and amazing beaches. You can't go far wrong basing yourself in Bury.

Whilst you're in these parts, pop into 'The Adventure Bike Shop' in Acton (Suffolk) and buy a few bits for the bike! Always a warm welcome and mug of coffee on hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Bill, some great stuff there. Meeting up with you and Rosie for a day out would be fantastic, I am looking at the weekend of June 20-23rd as Alena's birthday is the 17th.

wait a few months travel a few more miles south and introduce her to the joys of being a pirate:D

Enjoy Suffolk. But remember the locals may sound simple but they can be very astute when it comes to things financial. And BSE folk fancy themselves as the sophisticates of Suffolk and charge accordingly in some of their (fancy) restaurants etc. But there are many great places to visit and eat/drink in Suffolk - it's a super place to live. And if you are brave enough to go to Lowestoft, in parts you can view England as it was fifty years ago - with some pubs and their food straight from the '50s. Quite an experience.
:beerjug:

Hi Snooty, meant to post this before but Sat2st is the solstice or longest day so some odd peoples are having music and dancing at the Hawkedon Queen just south of Bury St Edmunds if fancy an 'alternative" evenings entertainment (and an excellent pint) Bonfires, virgins being burnt at the stake etc...Cheers, John B

Loving this place so far, BSE is a lovely town. I can thoroughly recommend the Fox Inn for accommodation, great rooms, fantastic bed and some nice touches in the room. The roads around the county are fantastically quiet, just wish we were on the bike and not in the car - DOH! Parking when visiting places doesn't seem to be a problem and so far has been free - well that makes a nice change. Have seen a few bikes out today enjoying the good weather but nothing like the hordes that you get in the more popular biking locations. Yesterday we visited Framlingham Castle and had a good look around the village, stopped in Lavenham on the way back; today we went to Long Milford and had a good look around the village, the church and the village green and then went to Milford Hall and spent a good long while - visited Lavenham again on the way back for tea in the 500 year old Guildhall, what a fabulous place. Got back to the Fox Inn and there are a couple of GSAs and an RT parked up at the back - anybody from here?

All in all, a great weekend so far and haven't had time to visit all of the places recommended by you guys - it looks like a return visit on the bike will be on the cards. Suffolk seems to be an undiscovered gem waiting to be explored further.

thanks snooty and bill

gonna be in the the harwich aldeburgh area next week and got some ideas :bow

Hi Snooty, meant to post this before but Sat2st is the solstice or longest day so some odd peoples are having music and dancing at the Hawkedon Queen just south of Bury St Edmunds if fancy an 'alternative" evenings entertainment (and an excellent pint) Bonfires, virgins being burnt at the stake etc...Cheers, John B

We like the Queen's Head at Hawkedon...

Back
Top Bottom