All New 1000cc Africa Twin

Really, do tell us in your expert opinion why ?

All the dirt from the front wheel will be thrown up on to the stanchions which have a thin film of oil on them meaning the dirt will stick to the stanchions trashing the seals much quicker. Gravity will also encourage fork fluid loss. The effect is fundamentally the same on forks orientated normally but alot less muck gets up to them as they are above the wheel. I could be wrong be I don't believe any other off road bike has Usd forks.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

All the dirt from the front wheel will be thrown up on to the stanchions which have a thin film of oil on them meaning the dirt will stick to the stanchions trashing the seals much quicker. Gravity will also encourage fork fluid loss. The effect is fundamentally the same on forks orientated normally but alot less muck gets up to them as they are above the wheel. I could be wrong be I don't believe any other off road bike has Usd forks.

I thought USD forks came from MX?

You know fuck'all...................fella

99% of MX, Enduro and Trail bikes have USD forks

Yep, I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm entitled to an opinion how ever right or wrong I may be.

I didnt realise they were so widely used so thankyou for correcting my ignorance.

There must be a good reason why all bikes don't have USD forks?

I know usd forks are superior for structural reasons amongst others. I can only assume that usd forks are not used for all bikes for the reasons ive mentioned. For limited millage high end bikes that are regularly subject to a high level of maintenance then the fork seals are I guess a minor issue but on something like a pan/fjr/k gt/RT it would seem a too frequent pain in the backside and the bike in question appears to me to have more in common with a varadero in terms of its intended use than a competion machine.

Yep, I don't claim to be an expert

There. Must be a good reason why all bikes don't have USD forks?

Price

All offroad (except trials) bike have them and the reason is less fork flex and better stability, plus similar or more fork travel with bigger fork legs per se

Nobody gives a feck, about dirt

Fit neoprene socks or just pressure wash off:D

Price

All offroad (except trials) bike have them and the reason is less fork flex and better stability, plus similar or more fork travel with bigger fork legs per se

Nobody gives a feck, about dirt

Fit neoprene socks or just pressure wash off:D

Thanks you posted as I was editing.

I spoke to a guy in Scotland, last week who had got a Cross Tourer DCT & was very pleased with it

He had had 4 GS's previously & tried the new WC GS for a couple of days but chose the Cross Tourer instead

It did look very nice & more quality finish than the new WC GS

Did it have the Sindy/ Barbie zippered vanity cases as luggage attached?
A real world crosser :barf

You know fuck'all...................fella

99% of MX, Enduro and Trail bikes have USD forks

On pointing out my ignorance, I thought I'd better gen up on which trailie/tourer/adventure (600cc+) bikes comparable to the litre AT (which is the ones I was referring to i.e. off road tourers) have what types of suspension.
With USD, about 12-15ish recent models, with conventional forks about 50+ current, recent and past models.

So far as I could see most of the large CC bikes that have USD's are mainly very recent models say no older than 3 years ish, before that it seemed only to be KTM so about 10% of models. Which fits with the fact that in more recent years I have lost touch with who makes what as opposed previous years when I used to read the bike mags regularly.

So, taking the 1000cc+ GS as an example why did BMW as a premium manufacturer chose to go down the route it has rather than use USD's I wonder?

Because the GS has a completely different front end & has since 1994
It has no forks (conventional) to control suspension - they are only there for steering purposes only
Hence the GS has no need for USD forks as it has a different method of front suspension

Because the GS has a completely different front end & has since 1994
It has no forks (conventional) to control suspension - they are only there for steering purposes only
Hence the GS has no need for USD forks as it has a different method of front suspension

Exactly my point, it's more complicated and heavier than usd forks so why bother? Other than to get the superior ride (or better) usd gives but without exposing the stanchions to all the shite that flies up which is important on what's intended to be resilient high millage bike that's meant to go round the world without major and frequent servicing.

I give up :(

The only problem with USD forks is in your head, blueranger

I did 110 miles yesterday through the Dales through standing water with mud & grit plus heavy rain

My USD forks were clean as a whistle when I got home, unlike the rest of the bike

They do many 1000's of miles without any maintenance

BMW Telelever is patented & a copy of a British design - it is just different that's all & Honda can't use it

The only problem with USD forks is in your head, blueranger

On that your probably right, its just one of the many irrelevant and unimportant things that clutter my mind using up processing power that could be better spent remembering to check my tyre pressures rather than thinking my rear suspension is worn out. hey ho.

Thanks for the info though, I hope I now know a little less than f**k all.

Back
Top Bottom