Lets get retro!

(RIP) Tunneruk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just finished this bodywork for a customer of mine ........

1976 Z1000

The panels had been painted pretty poorly at some point, christ knows what would lay beneath!

Time to dig in and make a start!

The underside of the tank was a bit scabby so I suited up and took it into the blast room to show it who was boss...
As it turns out the tank was in perfect condition under the awful paint, I removed any surface rust but stopped at that.
(Note the legacy of a past owners style choice)

There was a fair bit of prep to do on the plastics

Then followed 2x coats of 2k primer .......

Once prepped it was ready for 2x coats of base coat in white (no photo's taken as it looks just like the primer!)

Then the masking for the first stripes.

Once this was done the whole panel set was ready for it's second colour coat - Metalic orange! ...... 3 coats please!

I must mention at this point that the budget for the build of this bike was fairly modest so I was asked to only do as much as was absolutely needed in order to keep the cost down. Ideally I'd have spent a bit of time preparing the area behind the tank badges but as they won't be seen I was asked to save the time (and in effect, money)

Then on to the masking of the second colour stripes .....

Time for the final base coats to go on ...

Underside of the panels first

Then flipped them over and lavished 5x coats of the final base colour

After doing a job like this with hours of work sitting beneath the fine line tape it's always a bit tense as the masking starts to come off and you see what you're left with ...... There's no going back now!!

There were a few bits of bleed here and there which is almost inevitable but they were easily enough repaired being flat base coat.
Lee (my customer) had asked for the top stripes to be as close as possible to the white stripe. Having de masked everything I decided that it didn't look right so set about putting that right.
Once the base and stripes were all tip top it was time for the clear ...

4x coats of HS Crystal lacquer, each wet sanded with 600 before the best coat. The idea being that the stripes won't be pronounced when the panel is felt.

Great success! :cool:

Very well done, what sort of ball park figure was the budget?

I know that this can take an age to get right!

Ok let me ask you a question in return. How much do you estimate the cost was?
The reason I ask is because I'm still feeling my way around pricing for jobs like this and feel that I probably did this a bit too cheap. Everyone's expectations are different!

Bloody good work!!!.

I would be happy paying £37:85 for this. :thumb

Seriously I guess around £120-140?

Actually, I think that's still a bit cheap. There's a shitload of work gone into that, the prep alone is more than a day, plus drying time, flatting down, etc. etc. For that sort of detailed finished you should be looking for over £400, nearer £500 in my opinion.

Quality work deserves quality money - if you're just starting out don't sell yourself cheap because once you're known for being cheap, cheap is what you'll always have to deal with and be paid.

If you're going to do a high quality job like that, then charge accordingly and you'll soon get people wanting more and more work from you.

Very impressive, and a beautifully rich depth of colour.

Today was the first sunny day we've had since I finished these panels, I took them out in the sunshine and the depth on the blue was ridiculous. It has a slight pearl content so in the bright sunlight at certain angles the blue turned to bronze. I would have gotten a photo but Lee was short on time!

Lovely work. It's always tricky getting the pricing right. It is all well and good saying "yes, but this took me x amount of time etc" but in reality it is about what the market will stand. I've found, if I am getting most jobs I quote for, well then, I am too cheap. Not getting enough of the work quoted, back it off a bit. You generally find a level.

I have set from my 77 Z1000 needing exactly the same, I have no problem sending you them for you to do some more practice:thumb2
:D

Stunning work, and yes i would be happy to pay £400 for a job like that, far from a simple spray job. How many hours did you put into it?

first class can't believe how shiney the laquer makes it , great colours too :bow:bow:bow have you got proper spray equipment or is it cans ?

first class can't believe how shiney the laquer makes it , great colours too :bow:bow:bow have you got proper spray equipment or is it cans ?

Cheers fella,

I have a custom built spray booth (well ..... built by me) with full filtered extraction and infa red heating.
I only use 2k paints these days, they're so versatile these days that there's not need to use anything else!

Back
Top Bottom