Votes: 25 9.2%
  • GS1150 with Y-piece and aftermarket exhaust

Votes: 81 29.9%
  • GS1150 Adv with Y-piece and aftermarket exhaust

Votes: 37 13.7%

• Total voters
Y-piece n Remus which is sooooo luvvli!

EXCEPT....

I cant even look at it without it backfiring! Daren't blip the throttle on down shifts anymore. Gentle roll off the throttle at speed and it's threeee... tooooo..... wonnnnn... (clench buttocks)... BANG!!

It's funny when you want to do it, but I just know it's gonna go BANG at the Estonian border crossing this June and there'll be guards diving for cover with guns drawn!!
(There's no leaks and Mr BM fitted them for me) - any thoughts??
:rolleyes:

i'd balance the throttle body butterflys and/or change the ECU map.

Alex B said:
Interesting data though .......... most of those who have voted have done the full Y-piece and aftermarket exhaust mod.

There was a fair bit of bias in the title of this thread. Maybe most owners who have not removed the cat haven't bothered to read, let alone vote in, this thread.

Alex B said:
That will make a lot of 2nd hand GS1150s that bit better value for money for the next owner.

That's a bit of a leap in the logic isn't it? Don't most buyers look for a bog-standard vehicle that they can mod themselves?

:confused:

Greg

I replaced cat and standard can with a y-piece and revolution, promptly holed a piston within 1500 miles and have since done another trouble free 10k with the cat and standard can back on. So stick that in your pipes and smoke it! Anyone who hasn't bought themselves a chip, techlusion or at least had a dyno test along with their y-piece should maybe think about it.

She ran surprisingly well on one cyclinder!

;)

odd. there's 43 (at last count) people here who've done none of those things & still appear to be OK :confused:

i don't think it's so simple.

I know it's not simple, it depends on which day of the week your bike was built! That's why I suggest at least a dyno run to check the fuelling. Some bikes seem to run ok but others don't. Certain parts of the rev range seem to suffer most as well. My bike happened to be really lean in top gear roll ons between 60 - 80mph, which just so happened to be where I do most of my miles. 80 miles every day rolling on and off the throttle on a twisty A road. If I was mostly commuting into London I may have been able to run the bike forever without any problems. The bike also ran very well, the lean running was not bad enough to make it detectable whilst riding. I did 10k with the bike as standard before fitting the y-piece and can, so I know it was running well with the mods......or so I thought.

i think you are right in what you say there.

my bike's chipped :D

Cheesy Mike said:
Y-piece and standard exhaust fitted when the bike was 2 years old. Overwhelming feeling of regret that I didn't do it sooner!

Seeing this thread reminded me that I hadn't told BMW Insurance about fitting the Y-piece. Now done, so the insurance company have one less reason not to settle any future claim.

How did you get away with that? When I rang them about mine they said I wasn't insured so I took it off!
Thinking about putting it back though!!

Mike

Ballsed that up and and inserted response.
Try again for those that might be confused....
How did you manage that? When I rang BMW insurance to tell them they said I wouldn't be insured so I took it off.

I've a 2003 R1150GS with a twin spark engine.

The cat is still in place until the warranty period is over, which will be in the next few weeks.

If I jib the cat, will the Remus Y piece make the twin spark engine run even leaner? I'll use the standard pipe.

I have a K&N filter on at present and the lambda sensor probe thingy will still be in place.

Paul S:homer

Do a search on this topic and you'll find about a weeks worth of reading regarding cat code plugs, re-setting the motronic etc etc. After you've read it all you'll know that there are no definitive answers as to why some bikes are lean and others aren't. If you do any mods, get it dyno'd!

Stool/Fatal,

Thanks chaps. I put a Remus system on my R1100S a few years ago without any problem to the mix.

One of the good things about the Remus system was that they were designed to run on standard settings rfor the R1100S. I'm not so sure about the twin spark engine in my R1150GS.

As Stool says, it will be safer to get it Dyno'd.

Got one of thum thar dynos tucked away in that garage of yours Fatal? :hammer Have a look behind the Snap-on operating theatre in the west wing:thumb

Paul S:homer

I wish I did have one, but I'm going to take a trip up to that Dyna testing place at Catterall near Garstang to get mine checked out, about 35 quid minimum charge I think, money well spent if it confirms all is well.
Have any of you northern tossers used the place?

Back
Top Bottom