Emigrating to USA - should I take my GS or sell it?

jamm13dodger

Reaction score
So, it looks like I will soon be emigrating to Texas. I have a 2005 GS with just over 90k miles on it. It runs great and I love it and am sure if end up flogging it I wont get anywhere near what its worth to me.

has anyone else done the same move and taken the bike with them? Any issues with getting the bike registered over there?

Thanks, Rob.

You'll find that importing a bike to the USA is so difficult that it's really not worth the effort. I looked at this idea some years ago when moving to Montana seemed an option - we quickly came to the conclusion that it was better to sell and buy another bike once settled.

Procedures vary from state to state (and I don't know what Texas is like in this respect), but unless the bike is EXACTLY the same as the version imported to the USA (it won't be) and (IIRC) you have a notarized statement from the manufacturer and importer, you are on the back foot straight away.

Thanks, Sadly I think you are right. :(

Guess I'll have to swallow the loss and just look for something new when I get there. Boooh!

It's impossible to get a second hand bike into the USA. The US authorities just won't have unless it's a classic bike where you have half a chance.

However, you will get a lot of bang for your buck out there as $1 buys the same as a £1 here so you should be able to pick up something nice at a sensible price:thumb

I'm an American living in Sweden and I've never taken vehicles to the US. But as others have said, it goes by the State. I've bought a lot of bikes across states and had to get them inspected and registered in the state I lived in. It was never too much of a hassle but it is an expense. Honestly though, I don't think it's worth your while as bikes in the US tend to be cheaper than Europe--certainly Northern Europe, can't speak to the UK. When and if you return, be sure to bring a new Harley! Christ, I could have bought my GSA here with the profit on selling a Harley here in Sweden....

Back
Top Bottom