Dead ABS options

Just read your email. Pressure too high in the modulator is a fairly straightforward fix.

The fix i've posted in the previous post (quoted above) is for a dead unit (simple fix), not high pressure.

Thanks for this. So no need to spend £1800 then? PM incoming.

The same has happened on mine about 3 weeks ago. Took it to Williams Manchester and the put it on a diagnostic machine thingy. Basically what it does is it runs a series of tests and then has a few attempts to activate the pump. On the last test it started to work! Great, no big payout.....started up and set of for home, literally 200yrds round the corner the light came back on. Straight back in to Williams, told Andy, the mechanic and he suggested taking it out, riding it and locking the back wheel up....when they stop working it's generally because the ABS never gets used.....hopefully, depending on your riding style.....so hence the brushes stick in the pump.. Unfortunately mine did go completely so it was a new pump from Williams, fitted for just under £1300. 2 year warranty.....however, and here's the good part, if your bike has been well maintained and has all service history, Williams May be honest to make a good will gesture as they were with me. They replace the part for free and you pay the labour cost, min 1 1/2 hrs max 3 hrs. In the end it cost me £108 but that was when I realised I had a 3rd party warranty. You can but ask at your nearest dealer, they may help you out.....good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 for the brake thingy....if it's catching on any hand guards and not returning to normal position it can show brake fail light. 2 other things to check is bulb on brake light, if the holder is corroded then this causes same problem

The same has happened on mine about 3 weeks ago. Took it to Williams Manchester and the put it on a diagnostic machine thingy. Basically what it does is it runs a series of tests and then has a few attempts to activate the pump. On the last test it started to work! Great, no big payout.....started up and set of for home, literally 200yrds round the corner the light came back on. Straight back in to Williams, told Andy, the mechanic and he suggested taking it out, riding it and locking the back wheel up....when they stop working it's generally because the ABS never gets used.....hopefully, depending on your riding style.....so hence the brushes stick in the pump.. Unfortunately mine did go completely so it was a new pump from Williams, fitted for just under £1300. 2 year warranty.....however, and here's the good part, if your bike has been well maintained and has all service history, Williams May be honest to make a good will gesture as they were with me. They replace the part for free and you pay the labour cost, min 1 1/2 hrs max 3 hrs. In the end it cost me £108 but that was when I realised I had a 3rd party warranty. You can but ask at your nearest dealer, they may help you out.....good luck

Thanks - my local dealer (Coopers in Tunbridge Wells) were far less open to my plea for help. The best they said they could do was offer me a 10% discount on labour. So about 30 pounds max.

Tried to take the bike to the garage, for them to look at it. But - surprise, surprise - when I started it, the fault was gone!
15 miles later, though, it came back.
So I stopped for a coffee. When I returned to the bike, not only was the fault there again, but also the speedo wasn't working.
Saddened and bemused, I carried on along my way to the garage. Got there, switched the bike off, chatted to the mechanic, started the bike up again - no fault. The computer says "Rear brake pressure too high - this fault is no longer present".
Rode around for about half an hour - still no fault. And the speedo is working perfectly again.
Very confused now.

Last edited:
Sounds like the very same fault I experienced on my 2005 GS at the back end of 2013. The ABS fault I experience seem to coincide with when my GS went through a period of very little use (cycling too much was my excuse). My ABS fault always reset when the ignition was cycled but then the light would reappear as some point as the ride continued. It was always the rear servo that stopped working (and speedo). Having trawled the net for answers I decided to carry out a full bleed of the control and wheel circuits over the Christmas period (including all 6 bleed on servo). I also removed the pressure relief valves to check they were not sticking. 1 litre of brake fluid later and my GS has had perfect brakes every since. It’s been 3 months and not a peep from the ABS light. This service may not work for you but regular fluid changes are often neglected on these bikes because “it’s too complicated or too expensive”. Lots of info out there on hoe to DIY and no complicated/expensive computers required. Worth a try don’t you think! Just don’t rush into spending loads of money just because the BMW computer says so or servicing is too much trouble. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom