Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Wander no. 2 - (8) 9 / 10 August

I have changed my bike! now the proud owner of a 2011 F800R! Rode it for the first time Wednesday- nice and nippy. Will get as much practice in before the trip . BTW does anyone have a BMW pannier Sport Bag left side F800R that I can purchase, as the previous owner didn't secure it and it is somewhere on the M25 now!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Just a week to go .

Weather looks okay from what I can see

Sorry guys I wont be traveling over with you- I have re scheduled and am going to cross on the 11.50 and make my own way- have coffee in a little French café somewhere, take in a short relaxed ride and have a shower at the hotel and read my book - oh there are some advantages to teaching disruptive pupils- the holidays. I will be waiting for you and hope to see you for a drink in the bar. take care x

Fat Bikers Bounce Better Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    That is a shame, we could have travelled down the A12 together!
    Arrogant Patronising English scum living the dream ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh bear View Post
    Sorry guys I wont be traveling over with you- I have re scheduled and am going to cross on the 11.50 and make my own way- have coffee in a little French café somewhere, take in a short relaxed ride and have a shower at the hotel and read my book - oh there are some advantages to teaching disruptive pupils- the holidays. I will be waiting for you and hope to see you for a drink in the bar. take care x
    Do you want our drink orders now then Paula?
    Evil C

Hello everyone.

Not forgotten about this jaunt.

Doing the suggested routes as we speak.

Richard

indeed Charlie it is a shame but I am looking forward to seeing you and Mrs Charlie. Wilburt- I was thinking about being at the bar with the drinks lined up as you walked in but... I came to my senses lol. I will however go to the bakers and order our baguettes for the next day! orders please ( keep it simple as my French wont stretch to lightly buttered and lettuce but hold the tomatoes) x

a wander

Have fun Richard et al,

Im over in Bouillon as per norm from Thursday to Sunday so cant annoy you in St Omer may see you guys on the train home.

Lloyd
    LBL

Life's too short.

OK, here's the latest:

(1) Roll-call

Wanders are:

Wapping
    KevB
    Rus25R
    Vbcdave
    Paula

Doubles:
    Brenchleyhibs
    Wilburt
    Alleycam
    ChasMill

Total 9 rooms / nine bikes

13 bods

I will reconfirm our bookings with both the hotels.

(2) Contact details

I have taken up creating a spreadsheet with all bods' contact details (mobile numbers only) and circulating them around all the Wanderers on each jaunt. This came into its own when we had a huge jam on the Chunnel, meaning that fellows can find each other.

From the following list can people PM me:

Vbcdave - Your email address

Wilburt - Your mobile number and email address. Also are you alone or coming with a pillion?

Rus25R - Your email address

Alleycam - Your email address

The email addresses I will use to circulate everyone with the routes in a .gpx exchange format.

(3) Vbcdave - I owe you a PM, I have not forgotten

(4) Routes (again)

Both days routes are a touch under 200 miles, so doable easily. This means we should be able to avoid rushing about. If though we could be ready to leave each morning, wheels rolling at 09:30 that would be great. There are a reasonable number of us and not all have sat nag's. i suggest we use the marker / drop-off system. It means we should all keep together, without too much bother. We can run through it again on Saturday morning.

(5) Lunch on Saturday

Assuming the weather holds fair, I suggest we picnic it. St Omer has a really good bakery, which I have used to buy pre-filled rolls / baguettes etc at a good price. The only problem is that it usually means me ordering X number of rolls, just as the poor girl behind the counter is trying to serve bread to the whole of France. I have a cunning wheeze in mind.... Paula is going over early; she has kindly agreed to go to the bakers to see if she can order some rolls and water for us all, to collect on Saturday morning at say 09:00. I suggest she orders a cross-section, with salad. I know we have one vegetarian with us, so I'll ask for one with not a hint of meat in it. Is there anyone else who has a vast aversion to butter, mayonnaise, or cucumber... within reason we can just about cater for anything. Failing that, I am happy to take orders on Saturday evening, stroll drown to the bakers early doors, hand in an order and collect at leisure. Either way, we won't starve.

(6) Lunch on Sunday

I have no idea, not least as I am not too sure where we will be and when. We have never starved before, so I'm confident something will turn up.

(7) Housekeeping

Just the usuals:

Passport

Ticket

Driving licence (both parts)

V5 vehicle registration form (Paula, just bring the slip if yours hasn't turned up; it will be fine)

Breakdown insurance

Personal Travel insurance

Wet weather gear and sun glasses

Mobile phone, activated for foreign use and its charger

Some euro cash and your credit / debit card

We will have a whip for coffees etc.

It's a social event, as much as anything else. All of us except for Dave (vbcdave) have been away together at some time or another, many more than once. Let's look out for each other.

Sense of humour

I plan to be at the Chunnel in good time before departure, see you at the passenger terminal, after check in.

Like Paula, if anyone is going over earlier, please let me know, just so i know who to expect on the train.

Loading is somewhat haphazard. If anyone misses the train, send me a text, please. We will sort something out from there. As it's late(isn) go straight to the Ibis hotel Central, in St Omer. If we are obviously all on the same train, just in different carriages, wait at the top of the ramp on exit. With luck, we'll all be together.

Fuel. As it will be late(isn) when we arrive, I'll break my usual 'depart with full tanks' rule. Let's all fill up when we leave St Omer to bring everyone to a common point to start the day. We have a bit of slack in the day, so we can spend the 20 minutes it will probably take. There is a fuel station near our hotel on Saturday night. Let's top-up there, ready for Sunday morning.

I think that's it.

Richard

Andy, are you on your own or Jan, too?

Fat Bikers Bounce Better Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/we...ng-summer.html

Hmmm...

Pack your waterproofs ladies and gents.
    Arrogant Patronising English scum living the dream ...

Quote Originally Posted by ChasMill View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/we...ng-summer.html

Hmmm...

Pack your waterproofs ladies and gents.
    Gulp! Lucky we aren't going by ferry!

Richard,

It will be myself and Jen on this trip - so obviously behaviour and speeds will be moderated ........

I'll PM you with my mobile number as it may have changed since the last wander.

Cheers,
    Andy

Emergency Wander no. 2 - (8) 9 / 10 August

Hi Ricardo, solo now as wife having to go up to Otterburn so can take single or double room, whatever is available, looking forward to a few beers
    Evil C

Friday evening Scoff

Is everyone expecting to eat in St Omer on the Friday evening? Will there be anywhere open at around 10pm (when most of us will be arriving)?

Thanks,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Brenchleyhibs View Post
    Is everyone expecting to eat in St Omer on the Friday evening? Will there be anywhere open at around 10pm (when most of us will be arriving)?

Thanks,
    Andy
    I hadn't thought that far ahead but now you mention it I guess so for me. Unless there are other thoughts from others?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast