Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Wander no. 2 - (8) 9 / 10 August

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I hadn't planned on it, to be honest.

I think I'll just take some sandwiches on the train.

Thank you everyone for your contact telephone numbers and email addresses.

You should each have received an email with two attachments:

(1) A spreadsheet with the telephone numbers, the hotels' names and addresses and the train times. The RED booking number is MINE... Please don't use it, pretty please.

(2) A .gpx exchange file with the routes.

Any problems, let me know, please.

I think we might have to put the idea of asking Paula to order some sandwiches on hold, until we have a better idea of the weather on Saturday. I still fancy the idea, so we can take a view on saturday morning. As I said, I don't mind getting up early to fire the bakers into action.

Paula, I think you will be in St Omer ahead of the rest of us. I have asked the hotel to save us the parking space by the gate. If you could do your best to make sure they have done it, please. They are usually pretty good but it's holiday time, so you never know.

I think that's it. See you at the train....

Richard

wow, the weather doesn't look good, stay safe have a fantastic ride. if I had found this forum earlier I would have asked to tag along
    Ho Hum .......

ok will hold the sandwich order. Will do my best with parking Richard. My fantasy of sitting outside a café in the sunshine is fading fast but forecasts are unreliable so fingers crossed- and there is always inside the café! Take care all- see you soon x

I sea that eye mis spel Clive's a dress.

Will fix this evening.

Fat Bikers Bounce Better Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Well, that was an experience. Arrived late due to Mrs ChasMill being at work and the M25 turning itself into a car park on Friday evening.

Saturday was great, taking in some old favourites in Cassel and St Valerie sur Somme followed by a great night at the hotel and a really good meal.

The promised weather arrived and "we" decided to make a break for the UK. Said our goodbyes and headed for the Tunnel. Our brave border force kept you all safe by making us wait in the pouring rain for forty minutes while the tea was brewing so we eventually got a train at 12.50

Now safely at home after a long wait at the Dartford crossing.

Hope the rest of the Wander went well and sorry for dipping out early.

Many thanks (again) to Wapping for the customary excellent arrangements.
    Arrogant Patronising English scum living the dream ...

Great weekend everybody, enjoyed your company and hope to see you all again sometime. As always a big thank you to Richard for putting the whole thing together.

Thank you Richard for organising a great trip and to everyone for making me feel so welcome.
    I had a great weekend and can't wait to join you again on another trip.

I am sorry that I never had a chance to say goodbye properly at the tunnel. I am not sure what happened as when I went through customs I saw a couple of bikes going to the trains and assumed they were our group. I followed and was told to go into a lane that was open at the end with a green light. They waved me on and next thing I knew I was on the train with the other bikes (who obviously weren't you), but a group from the way valley club.

Hope to see you all soon

Many thanks again Richard for arranging another great weekend. The weather made Sunday shall we say interesting (and damp).Great to meet some old faces, and Russ and Dave who I hadn't met before. Look forward to meeting up sometime in the future.

Hi Dave and everyone,

Good to have you along and well done for jumping onto an earlier train. It's always a bit of a lottery, not least as the queues at the tea huts (aka the frontline of Britain's defences against an invasion of cats) were ridiculously slow.

The weather on Sunday was interesting as we caught the tail end of hurricane B. But, everyone kept together and we still cracked along. In a way it helped as, by keeping going, we were able to catch an earlier train. Hats off to Paula, who I know was a bit apprehensive about the weather for our return; no shame in that. As always, P scuttled along with the best of everyone, with her usual good humour; someone who really has worked hard on her riding and grown in confidence since she first came away with us a couple of years ago.

All in all, a good fun group. For a reasonably large bunch of bikes, riding mostly D roads that are sometimes a bit tricky, everyone kept together really well. The fuel stops (mostly at single pump stations) went well and we made pretty good time everywhere. It puts the lie to the theory that a group cannot all ride together reasonably sensibly and safely. My thanks to Charlie and Al for taking on the tail-ender duties and for everyone for marking their drop-off points faultlessly.

There was five euro and a bit of shrapnel left in the whip. As usual, I will add it to the charity pot, used to buy presents for some very disadvantaged kids in Tower Hamlets at Christmas. It's a charity supported by my employer, whose City office borders on the borough.

Richard

Another corker, good to see everyone again and to meet Dave and Russell

That was real rain that was!

Thanks again Ricardo Note to self - don't get mugged by Eurotunnel...............
    Evil C

Just arrived back up north (where it be grim!) we'd dropped off for a night a the Premier Inn at Ashford to break the trip home. Trip today, a leisurely journey dodging the rain, but blown all over the place!

A great trip away and good to meet up with friends from earlier trips, meeting new ones too! Thanks to Richard for impeccable planning and organisation of course. The weather was a good touch too... making us all feel like adventurers into the abyss of an (ex) hurricane, yet supplying a cracking day on Saturday with sunshine and warmth throughout.

Good fun with great roads, excellent food at well chosen venues and a weekend to remember for all the right reasons. Looking forward to any future events...

Al and Sandy

Wow- thanks for another set of new experiences- the spray from the cars was like having a large bucket of water thrown over you- what a mad but smileable moment. Losing the back wheel on a hair pin on the gravel was not a smileable moment more a sh.. sh.. moment but hey, it was ungainly but the bike stayed upright. I thought the group joined together very well, with everyone chatting to everyone else and we did have a laugh- pole dancing, something about wearing plastic bags on your feet in toilets!! and such. Many of the group I had met before so it was good to catch up and it was especially nice to have some female company- ahhh those close moments weeing together in the lane ). Thoroughly great time- thank you all and Elsie (the bike) and of course Richard who in so generous with his time and support with these trips. Anyone for climbing over the O2??? as recommended by Andy- I am going to book tickets and thought making it a group event would be fun. Love Paula x

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh bear View Post
    Wow- thanks for another set of new experiences- the spray from the cars was like having a large bucket of water thrown over you- what a mad but smileable moment. Losing the back wheel on a hair pin on the gravel was not a smileable moment more a sh.. sh.. moment but hey, it was ungainly but the bike stayed upright. I thought the group joined together very well, with everyone chatting to everyone else and we did have a laugh- pole dancing, something about wearing plastic bags on your feet in toilets!! and such. Many of the group I had met before so it was good to catch up and it was especially nice to have some female company- ahhh those close moments weeing together in the lane ). Thoroughly great time- thank you all and Elsie (the bike) and of course Richard who in so generous with his time and support with these trips. Anyone for climbing over the O2??? as recommended by Andy- I am going to book tickets and thought making it a group event would be fun. Love Paula x
    O2 sounds fun. Let me have you thoughts on dates etc.
    It was good to meet you and look forward to another trip ASAP (The smile on my face when I got home gave me an instant free pass from my wife to join you again)

Thank you all for your kind comments.

As much as it's sometimes a bit of a battle to tie up routes, ideas on where to stop, hotels and the like it's actually quite fun. However, it's the bods on the jaunt that make it; the rest is just detail and going from A to C via B. Having a group that can look out for each other and get along makes everything much easier.

I try to make the jaunts as much a holiday as possible, albeit one centred around riding a motorcycle. The short hop breaks work well and I'm grateful that bods like Al come a long way down England just to join us. I will certainly do some more in 2015 and maybe a longer one or two, either back to the Dolomites or once more to the Pyrenees. Germany might be on the cards, too. There again, I haven't been to the Massif Central for a few years...... Now, where did I put those maps???

Well, albeit a little "late to the party", on behalf of myself andf Jen I'd just like to express our thanks to all the Wanderers for their good humour and sociability over the weekend.

It is always nice to meet old friends and new friends on Richards excursions, and this was no exception. We hope to meet you all again on another Wander sooner or later.

Richard - please keep up the excellent work!!

Best wishes,
    Andy & Jen

PS - if anybody fancies organising an end of year get-together in the SE, please count me in!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast