Trip to Slovakia

Hern

Reaction score
Planning a trip to Slovakia this May/June & would welcome any advice/recommendations from anyone whose been there. Most of the time will be in the High Tatras & I'm looking for info on places to visit, hotels/pensions, great roads & GSAable dirt tracks.
Thanks guys

Stary Smovac etc nice area and base for exploration of mountains. See here http://www.tanap.sk/visutalanovka.html for a link to the cable car - well worth the ride, get there early if you want a ticket ! I suggest 6am start - worth it ;)
Last time we were there -'93 mind- took a back road, went to dirt, then ended in a village were the women were washing clothes in the river !
Lovely spot, you'll love it great beer too

It's pretty bleak in the east, lots of forests in the mountains, interspersed with industrial towns spewing out pollution into the rivers which were either cobalt blue or others that were a rusty iron oxide colour.
Many towns had concrete tower blocks for housing and heavy industry.
Last went in 2001 and was fairly underdeveloped.

Slovakia

Glad to see someone is prepared to visit a country that is overlooked on the tourism front.Sure it has the grey drab industrial buildings with the red and white chimneys bellowing out stuff that Brussels will have something to say about I'm sure.
This is very different to its squeaky clean neighbours Austria,which is what travel is all about,seeing other cultures and meeting people and listening to what they have to say.Don't forget this is part of what was the communist Bloc where travel to foreign parts was almost impossible for the people of czechoslovakia(now czech and Slovak republics)While we were off sunning ourselves in the costas these people made do with a trip to the nearest lake for a week.
Okay Bratislava is not quite Prague or Budapest but it is on the Danube and is only 70km from Vienna.As Prague was once the capital of czechoslovakia you can understand why since the Slovaks have gone alone their nominated capital is not as high profile as it's touristy sister.
There is a main route up from Budapest(E77)through Slovakia and upto Krakow.This can be slow at times due to being a main freight route,so weekends would be better.
It's worth coming off this route and exploring.Just look at the map and go for that windy road in the shaded grey.Nice road west of Brezno (route 72)by the Tale ski area towards Poprad.
You may be dissappointed in places if you are expecting Alp type passes but it's not the Alps although just as natural and underexplored by motorbikes.
I may seem biased as my girlfriend is from Slovakia and have visited a few times(skiing is good too)I know, i should get a job on the Slovak Tourist board !
You will pay more for pensions in the ski areas as they are popular in the summer too for Slovaks holidaying.
It would be great to see these ex communist states to come out of the cold and gain from tourism.A normal wage of £200 a month is not in proportion of their living costs.
The only downside is that Pivo(Beer)would go up in price.Now at about 40p a half litre bottle.So come on shun the norm and get out there now while it's cheap.
If you want any more info on Slovakia you are welcome to email me.

Simon :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom