Help: Streetguard 3 Jacket - Zip faulty

bobsayshello

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

My 3 year old BMW Streetguard 3 jacket zip has developed a fault and will probably need replacement if not repairable.

When I zip the jacket the zip meets some resistance about 2/3rds of the way up, and when I then force it past that point it continues to zip properly again until all the way up. The teeth of the zip haave not connect however right at the point where the resistance was felt leaving that part unzipped which then unzips the rest of the jacket from the middle. All the teeth at the point of resistance look fine so im not sure what has caused this problem but it happens everytime i zip/unzip the jacket and the amount of force needed to unzip will eventually destroy the zip.

I approached my dealer who chased me because the jacket is now 3 years old (even though it cost a small fortune when I bought it)

To get a BMW replacement zip will cost £85 fitted so, the question is:

* is it likely that the zip can be repaired rather than replaced?
* can the zip be replaced with another generic zip by a component seamstress?

Any and all advice accepted (even if it to tell me I was a prat for buying a BMW jacket in the first place!!!)

Thanks, Bob

THIS is who BMW will send your jacket to. Cut out the middle man - I'm sure it was more like £60.00 (incl. the postage) when I had the zip on my Trailguard jacket changed. If my exerience on that occasion was anything to go by you won't repair a zip - it will need to be replaced. I have been using the replacement zip fitted by these guys for some years and no issues.:thumb

Thanks for that :thumby:

Just rang them and they are going to sort me out with a new zip :bounce1

The chap on the phone also mentioned that (as you say) BMW use them for all their warranty work (jacket/trousers/boots/gloves .. the lot) so this really is a contact for riders to be aware of if their BMW gear does ever go south out of warranty. ..... and their prices appear to be very reasonable.

Thanks again, a very relieved Bob :beerjug:

Thanks to this post, my jacket's main zip has also been replaced by Lancashire Sports Repairs. I went to them direct. Sent jacket so it arrived on Monday morning, opted for the express service, £82 later and the jacket was back the next day. As it is my only winter jacket, very impressed by the service and the value.
Highly recommended should you need a repair.

Back
Top Bottom