Pro Shift Assist Thingy

J.R.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am interested in having one of these retro-fitted to my soon to arrive GSA but reading through some of the posts there seem to be differing views of what this kit can and can't do. I found this excerpt below which I found useful and hopefully someone else might too. :thumby:

The Pro Shift Assist was first available as a factory option on the 2014 R1200RT and R1200GS's built after August, 2013 (starting VIN: Z184816). If your bike didn't come with it, you can now retrofit this system.
(NOTE: It will not fit the 2013 R1200GSW.)
Features:
•Permits upshifts and downshifts without using clutch or closing the throttle.

IMPORTANT!
This system must be installed and enabled exclusively by an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer.
Also Required:
Enable code, sold separately, not available online. (BMW part number 13 61 8 545 879)

Details:

A first in production motorcycles, Gear Shift Assistant Pro provides shifts that are both convenient and dynamic. While originally developed for competition, the Gear Shift Assistant Pro now features greater functionality to adapt it to touring use. In virtually all engine speed ranges and under almost any load, it allows upshifts and downshifts without any need for the rider to operate the clutch or change throttle position.
Advantages:
•70-80% of all shifts based on riding condition can be executed without using the clutch.
•Gear changes are still performed as normal by the foot lever. The Gear Shift Assistant Pro only assists the actual gear change operation. The rider remains responsible for actually shifting the gears. This is not an automatic or semi-automatic transmission.
Notes:
•No assist for gearshifts is provided under the following conditions:◦ Shifting with the clutch disengaged
◦Upshifts with the throttle closed (coasting) or when decelerating
◦The shift lever is not in its neutral position before starting a shift
◦The system supports downshifts with an open throttle, but the shift quality is influenced by sudden or jerky throttle-on and throttle-off changes in lower gears
◦Shifts performed without disengaging the clutch in low gears at high engine RPM’s may be accompanied by substantial torque reaction during power transitions. BMW Motorrad recommends that the clutch is used to perform shifts under these operating conditions. Riders should avoid using the Gear Shift Assistant Pro at engine RPM’s approaching the engine’s rev limit.

•To ensure safety, cruise control is automatically deactivated during gear changes with the Gear Shift Assistant Pro.

Hi there, my advice would be to visit your nearest BMW dealer and test ride one of the demo R1200RT's just out as most are LE version with pro shift assist fitted so you can have a go and see what you think. I have an 08GSA and did test ride the new RT last week with pro shift and not something I personally would upgrade to, maybe when refined a bit. Very different to what you might expect, up-change - must be under acceleration, harder the better to go up gears, best 3rd upwards, 1st and 2nd too close. Down-shift, much better but need fully closed throttle so usually under braking here. If you want to change gear at constant speed then doesn't work. Def not semi auto, you really do need try it first, am sure some riders will like it.

Thanks for the comment Sam. I note you said you needed to have the throttle fully closed on downshift, although in the sales blurb at #1 above it does imply that upshifts and downshifts are 'permitted' without using clutch or closing the throttle. I shall investigate further.

Can anyone out there who has had this fitted to the new GSA attest to it's benefits (if any)?

I had quick shifters on my K1300s and S1000r which were great. The one on my GS1200LC is very disapointing compared so I very rarly use it.

It's great...

I love the gear shift assist pro on my '14 GSA and would definitely buy it again. If I'm feeling relaxed I might still use the clutch sometimes but for smooth and slick acceleration it can't be beaten, and dropping the gears without using the clutch as you roll into a corner (with the automatic throttle blip) is brilliant.

I had quick shifters on my K1300s and S1000r which were great. The one on my GS1200LC is very disapointing compared so I very rarly use it.

I have it on my GSA and S1000R, and I prefer it on the GSA as it goes up and down the box. It's just as smooth on both bikes though.:thumb

If yours is disappointing, take the bike to your dealer, amd get them to look at it, as it shouldn't be.

I had a trans logic quick shifter (up shift only) retro fitted to my 07 GSA12......I love it :D

Had mine a while now on the GSA and now I am used to it's foibles. I really enjoy the extra element of fun it brings to the bike, and I think I would be missing out without it. It is fitted as standard on my HP4 Carbon, but only for upshifting, which to be honest takes you to warp factor/licence shredding sooooo quickly it's scary. Great piece of kit :thumb2

I have it on my 2014 GS, and I love it. Upshifts are great and downshifts, while they need a bit more positive force, work well to. It's a great toy, and actually pretty useful. I never get tired of it blipping the throttle on downshifts for me, but I'm a big kid at heart.

Back
Top Bottom