Calling all BMW riders! The 2014 BMW Motorrad GS Trophy UK Qualifier is announced

UKGSer

Administrator
Reaction score
bmwsmall.jpg
BMW Motorrad
United Kingdom

Media Information 24 March 2014

Calling all BMW riders! The 2014 BMW Motorrad GS Trophy UK Qualifier is announced.

Three BMW owners will earn their places in the once-in-a-lifetime international final of the BMW Motorrad GS Trophy in Canada.

BMW Motorrad UK has announced the GS Trophy UK Qualifier - which will take place over the Bank Holiday weekend of 25-26 May 2014.

• GS Trophy UK Qualifier held on Sunday 25 - Monday 26 May 2014
  • Held at BMW Off Road Skills in South Wales
  • Entry costs £99 per rider
  • Three winners will be flown to Canada to compete in the GS Trophy International Final in September
  • Competitors will use BMW's motorcycles for off-road challenges
  • Open to owners of any GS motorcycle
  • Limited places on optional practice day on Saturday 24 May 2014 for £249
  • Book a place on the GS Trophy UK Qualifier via 08000 131 282 or by clicking here

BMW Off Road Skills legend Simon Pavey and his team will be hosting an action-packed weekend of riding challenges, skills tests and off-road tasks in South Wales.

The cost of entry is just £99 - with riders getting to compete on BMW's motorcycles for all the off-road challenges. Initial qualifying will take place on Sunday 25 May, with a hog roast in the evening, during which the semi-finalists will be announced. Three winners will be chosen on Monday 26 May, with the team selected to go and compete in Canada in September.

BMW Off Road Skills will be holding an optional special one-day refresher course for GS Trophy entrants looking for some extra practice on Saturday 24 May priced at £249. Additionally, customers can book onto any of the Level 1-3 GS courses ahead of the event to brush up on their skills and techniques by clicking here.

While the objective of the weekend is to select three riders who will battle 15 teams from around the world in a once-in-a-lifetime riding tournament in Canada, riders of all abilities and ages are invited to take part and experience a taste of what BMW Off Road Skills has to offer.

For more information on the 2014 GS Trophy UK Qualifier click here. The UK Qualifier is open to amateur riders who own a BMW motorcycle (any model), with BMW Motorrad UK searching for adventurous competitors who embody the GS spirit. Riders can reserve their place online by clicking here, or via the World of BMW team on 08000 131 282 and bmw@worldofbmw.com.

Three British riders will earn their places in the once-in-a-lifetime BMW Motorrad GS Trophy International Final, which for the first time is taking place in the stunning landscapes of Canada. The finalists will battle for over a week, riding the new R 1200 GS through the wildernesses of Alberta and British Columbia and crossing the Rocky Mountains.

To see a short video of the highlights of the International Finals in previous years, including Africa and South America, click here.

i-6mKSNZp.jpg

Riders will take part in off-road challenges

i-Z6vdLqt.jpg

The GS Trophy UK Qualifier is held at BMW Off Road Skills

i-N8dCMPs.jpg

Dakar racer Simon Pavey will choose three riders to represent the UK

i-HBMrrn6.jpg

Riders of all abilities can take part

i-PrF6rTV.jpg

The event will be held at Walters Arena in South Wales

i-Zj4K4Mk.jpg

The 2014 International Final will be held in Canada

i-KThHpXZ.jpg

For more information on BMW Motorrad products, or to find your local BMW Motorrad dealership, visit www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk or call 0800 777 155.

I wonder if they will allow me to enter after the damage I did to their bikes (and myself) last time:D

I even got mentioned in the MCN report "the rider before me was removed from the arena strapped to a stretcher with a neck brace on....":D

Knocked myself out, nearly broke my neck and totalled a R1200GS. The 5 point penalty meant I missed the final cut by 3 points.:(

Great fun and would definitely recommend it to anyone:thumby:

Unfortunately, I think I'm busy in May so not sure I can make it.:(

Booked my place today, never done anything like it before, should be good fun judging by reports of previous events.

Any good advice out there from GS Trophy veterans?

Will keep an eye on this thread. I'm tempted but not quite hooked yet......

I'm booked in. Looks like a great event. Getting exciting already. Paging Mav:augie:)

I have signed up again and I am going to try not to totally suck as I did last time. At least I was able to say I crashed every BMW GS they make. I got a pass on one of the sections in the quarry after driving a 1200GS head first into a tree and skewering the light cluster with a branch. They weren't so keen to give me another go on that section after that.

I'd love to do it

Again. Came 5th a few years ago and really would like to try again. But this event clashes with one of Ross's race weekends so unfortunately I'm out:blast gutted.

Booked my place today, never done anything like it before, should be good fun judging by reports of previous events.

Any good advice out there from GS Trophy veterans?

Yes mate, on the 1200 in the gravel pit, get your weight back and maintain a good constant throttle, you want the front to float over the kitty litter. On the little gs's if you can raise the tick over a tad it will help you, the 800 fluff really badly off a closed throttle when hot. Slow and steady is your mantra, don't rush. Watch as many people as you can, they will show you what not to do:D

Have received this from BMW...

Thank you for your recent interest in BMW Off Road Skills,

The lay out of the course is at the start each rider will be given a route (all rider routes are different) and it is a case of following a map to different locations and there would be numerous challenges set, some will be off-road (so one of our bikes will be waiting for you at the location)

The overall distance covered will be roughly a 50-60 mile round trip. Which may not sound a lot, but given there will be 5-6 challenges along their way, it will not be over quickly.

Hire gear will not be available as most riders will provide their own, however if you need to hire boots we may be able to source them,

The terms and conditions have recently been updated and are now available by clicking here,

http://www.offroadskills.com/uk-gs-trophy-qualifier-regulations

Kind regards,

Have received this from BMW...

Thank you for your recent interest in BMW Off Road Skills,

The lay out of the course is at the start each rider will be given a route (all rider routes are different) and it is a case of following a map to different locations and there would be numerous challenges set, some will be off-road (so one of our bikes will be waiting for you at the location)

The overall distance covered will be roughly a 50-60 mile round trip. Which may not sound a lot, but given there will be 5-6 challenges along their way, it will not be over quickly.

Hire gear will not be available as most riders will provide their own, however if you need to hire boots we may be able to source them,

The terms and conditions have recently been updated and are now available by clicking here,

http://www.offroadskills.com/uk-gs-trophy-qualifier-regulations

Kind regards,

Err........ I think you'll find that this is for the 2012 event.

T and Cs are:blast

However being a pedantic sod I emailed then the other day with a list of queries and I received that "response" late this afternoon.

Still in two minds, particularly as I don't want to commit to buying new riding kit just for the event. (I cant really see the need for MX boots on a day to day basis).

Back
Top Bottom