Michelin Anakee 3 poor tyre life

BikerBear

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1200lc which had Anakee 3 fitted as standard.

I have never used these tyres before and was interested to see what life they would give. I had been lead to believe by a variety of sources that 10000km/6000mls is not unexpected for these tyres.

That said I have just on 5300km on the bike and am nearly down to the wear marker on the rear. This seems very low mileage for these tyres. My rear tyre pressure is typically 2.7bar cold rising to 2.9 when warm. I would not expect to get much more than another 1000km/600mls looking at their current condition.

I do a good mix of riding including as much twisties as possible and yet these tyres have seemed to square off quite a bit.

My question is, am I expecting too much from these tyres and the mileage I have done, or would this be normal life expectancy for these tyres?

Does anyone here have similar experience or alternatively some advice on what may help extend the life of replacements.

To be honest I love the tyres, as the seem to give great feedback and while I have had the odd moment at high lean angles I never felt that they were about to just give up. Strangely enough even though quite squared off they still seem fine when I move off from the vertical, not like some tyres that give you heart attracts when you go over the sharp edge. Just a little disappointed in their life.

... And this, Nutty. Probably into, um, let's see. Yup, that's it, the 'Font off all wisdom' section...

Forum: The font of all wisdom
GS Faqs and information...from fitting aux lights to what tyres to chose, it's all here

You'll be great at this by the end of the week.

There are, as I'm sure you know, a lot of variables in tyre life, i.e. how you accelerate (and probably how much you use Dynamic mode), how hard you use the brakes and significantly, how abrasive the tarmac that you ride on. On all the 100 bhp bikes I've owned over the years, I've never got more than 4,500 miles out of a rear tyre on good, grippy Scottish tarmac. With 125 bhp and 92 lbs- ft, 3,500 - 4000 miles is probably not too far off the mark. Incidentally when I got home tonight it was 8 deg C ambient and as I'm still running the bike in, I'm keeping the revs down to 5K. I was surprised at just how warm the rear tyre was when I pulled into our drive.

I've only got 300 miles on mine but I'm already very impressed with how well they stick to the road, how the bike turns in on them and how it holds a line when it's cranked over.

Same here. Just junked the Anakee 3,s. The front was completely shagged at less than 4,000 miles. Got another set of Continentals TA,s to go on.

I managed 6500 (nearly) from my rear Anakee III. They probably had a bit more life in them.

... obviously not trying hard enough:mmmm

5K miles for me before I decided to replace them with Roadsmart 2's (Love 'em). There was probably enough on there to stretch close to 6K, but they would have been on their last legs.

Plenty of twisties and though Dynamic mode mode of the time I'm not gunning it out of every corner. Only most of them :rolleyes:.

My Tourance Next rear gave me 3500 miles - so 5300 from the Anakee's I have on now would delight me.

I do think the Next's gripped road better, and the front was a lot quieter than the noisy anakee's

Just fitted Pilot Road 4 Trails to my 08 GSA coming from Battlewings, Tourance and Dunlop TR91's. Will let you know how I get on but first impressions really good. Did look at Anakee 3, just went for PR4's since I wouldn't go off road other than dry tracks anyway and these are the better tyres for the high mileage continental trips I have planned this summer.

I like the Anakee 3's, yes they are a bit noisy but the grip in all weather is very good! I have 3k miles on mine and have just changed my rear which is down to 4mm but won't last for an up coming 3.5k mile trip. The front is hardly worn, most of my mileage is 2-up and I do like brisk riding!

Torrance Next, I got 2700 from rear

Wow... I am on six thousand miles and the buggers are square but won't wear out - and while I am no hero I don't think I hang about. They are probably the slowest wearing tyre I have used.

Back
Top Bottom