Attaching security chain?

Pinch pin in situ on my LC. Sorry can't remember what size you need. I also put disc lock on the front, plus all the stuff Giles recommends (good advice), AND have locked up all the power tools in a secure cabinet!

Thanks for the photo Toddmeister. Is the pinchpin supposed to be inserted from the left side of the bike, or the right?

Ive been in contact with Almax who tell me that their new Series V 22mm chain is designed for commercial use, each link weighing in at 1KG :eek:

Thanks for the photo Toddmeister. Is the pinchpin supposed to be inserted from the left side of the bike, or the right?

Ive been in contact with Almax who tell me that their new Series V 22mm chain is designed for commercial use, each link weighing in at 1KG :eek:

Blimey that is one heavy chain! I guess any scrote is going to think twice about taking a hack saw to that bugger, but the only issue might be you find it too big and heavy to be practical and not damage the bike!

The pinchpin works on either side of the GS swingarm as the head of the pin is too big to pull through in either direction. On mine you can also see I've added one of their big washers on the non-head side but to be honest it isn't really necessary.

On some bikes, and depending on where you are going to use it, you may find it is better being inserted from one side compared to another. The guys at Pragmasis are very helpful so it might be worth calling them to discuss.

Hope that helps

Thanks. I see on their website that if inserting from the right side of the bike they advise getting the longer 290mm size pin, not sure why? Im considering getting the new Almax Series V chain as the weight shouldn't be an issue. It will sit on my garage floor wrapped around the ground anchor and the only lifting required will be the end few links to attach to the pinch pin.

BMW R1200GS rear axle width 160mm + 90mm = Pin length 250mm (we advise checking the axle width for yourself if you will use a 19mm chain). Note: For Adventure/spoked wheel models, a 250mm Pin must come in from the **left** of the bike so the head of the Pin sits in the hub recess and the chain comes in to the right of the bike. If the Pin is going to come in from the right, as is more usual, it needs to be a 290mm length.

With Giles on this one ... your biggest problem is scroats knowing it's there :eek:

If they want it, they'll have it .... make no mistake, and it won't matter one jot what security measures you take :nenau

NO cleaning your bike in full view of passing traffic ... NO leaving it on display for all to admire ...

I live in a scroat bag area where my bikes (650 X-Country and F800GS) would be ripe pickings for the scroat bags to ride the pit tips :eek:

They sleep outside in the back garden, no garage, mid terrace house, under three covers each, and ground anchored ... the ONLY people (I hope) that know my bikes are here are my immediate neighbours. If anyone is walking up the backs when I come home I ride straight out the top and back round again. When no one is looking the bike is quickly in the garden and out of sight :thumb

If girlfriend Sue comes across on her TTR250 that is whisked straight in to the back garden (enclosed and out of sight) IF 'they' were to see her bike outside 'they' might come for it .... and find mine :eek:

Paranoid? You bet, I spent ten years in the CID Stolen Vehicle Squad :D

You can deter the opportunist scroat bag, but a professional, if he knows where it is, and he wants it ... he'll have it :nenau

As an aside, I even check, as I ride up the backs, that no one has followed and stopped at the bottom to see where I have gone (yes, I have known this, a mate had his bike stolen thus) so one night I saw a car stop behind me as I turned up the backs, I stopped, a voice said "Are you thinking of running" :eek:

It was a police car that had followed me ... bless :thumb

:beerjug:

Thanks. I see on their website that if inserting from the right side of the bike they advise getting the longer 290mm size pin, not sure why? Im considering getting the new Almax Series V chain as the weight shouldn't be an issue. It will sit on my garage floor wrapped around the ground anchor and the only lifting required will be the end few links to attach to the pinch pin.

BMW R1200GS rear axle width 160mm + 90mm = Pin length 250mm (we advise checking the axle width for yourself if you will use a 19mm chain). Note: For Adventure/spoked wheel models, a 250mm Pin must come in from the **left** of the bike so the head of the Pin sits in the hub recess and the chain comes in to the right of the bike. If the Pin is going to come in from the right, as is more usual, it needs to be a 290mm length.

Ah Ok, mine fits either way but's its a standard WC and doesn't have spoked wheels!

Micky, watch out for those bastid Doncastrian pikeys :mad:

I own an 18 yr old LR Defender and live in Sheffield, which is the theft capital of the UK for Defender thefts. The measures I take to stop it being stolen beggar belief. But its my pride and joy.

14871a50-5f25-4982-8138-65bcda81000c_zps9a025ebb.jpg

Good thread, cheers chaps. Just moved office and parking in a London bike, bay. Luckily there is (so far) always a space and there are ground anchors so ordering the immobiliser III and lock.

Back
Top Bottom