2 stroke fans

GS_BOTT

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thought I'd copy this from another forum, as there are a few 2 stroke fans on here (possibly)

Just finished doing this up, It wasn't in too bad a condition, not touched or started for several years and only one previous owner. Found problems with the kick start/idler gear, but just stripped it all down, cleaned, and re-plated stuff as I went along. There, that made it sound easy :)

Before.

Don't think it had been thrashed much, as these were the PV's when I removed them, bike has only done 14K miles.

Stripped and re-furbed the shock, was in ok condition to start with.

Sticking it all back together.

Forks and brakes back to original looking finish

Just about finished, ready for it's first startup in about 10 years.

Newly powdercoated wheels, was going to paint them, but it kept reacting with something after I put the etch primer on? never did find the reason why.

Bought some new decals for the bottom of the fairing and had a go at fitting them myself, went ok on the end, but there's no compound curves to deal with.

Finished, just needs a road test.

nice job,whats the finish/colour on the outer engine cases and lower fork legs?

That brings back some memories, some of them quite frightening!
I had the exact same bike as my 1st road machine, what I hadn't realised or been told by the previous owner that it was an ex racer, there was no rev limiter fitted and it's power band started at around 8000rpm and just revved out, the head shakes were to die for, literally, it was swapped later that year for a ZXR750.

That brings back some memories, some of them quite frightening!
I had the exact same bike as my 1st road machine, what I hadn't realised or been told by the previous owner that it was an ex racer, there was no rev limiter fitted and it's power band started at around 8000rpm and just revved out, the head shakes were to die for, literally, it was swapped later that year for a ZXR750.

Meant to add you've made a cracking job of minting it up

Lovely thing......Cooooool as......:cool:

Hummmed and haaaaaaed over a really nice RD400 a couple of weeks ago......Should have bought it......I do my own head in......:confused:

nice job,whats the finish/colour on the outer engine cases and lower fork legs?

Hi, engine was done with Simoniz 'silver engine enamel' (a bit brighter than was on there originally) also did barrels and head to keep them looking the same. Forks I did with a 'Scotchbrite' pad on a drill, then finished them off with a cheap green pan scourer, No lacquer, as I don't like the look, and eventually it'll get water under and lift.

Not road tested it yet, should do cos it had a fault with the idler gear, destroyed the bearing and dropped off the shaft, never started it on pick-up as the kickstart kept locking up when turned over by hand!!

GS looking great , im also following your KR resoration on the KR Forums , double the fun, Ring a ding ding

Steve

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Back in 1994 I had a RGV 250M (Banana swing arm) in white and blue. The lure of a new bike had me trade it in in 1997. I wish to this day, I'd had the foresight (and the money) to keep it. You've done a great job on that bike. I can smell the fumes and imagine the scream..........bliss............

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Back in 1994 I had a RGV 250M (Banana swing arm) in white and blue. The lure of a new bike had me trade it in in 1997. I wish to this day, I'd had the foresight (and the money) to keep it. You've done a great job on that bike. I can smell the fumes and imagine the scream..........bliss............

Just like this one????

Very nice work
Drop of Castrol R in the tank and oh the memory's it would bring back
Very good job a modern classic

Back
Top Bottom