cant get tyre off

petrolhead

Reaction score
anybody got an ideas why I can't get my MX front tyre off?
It seems the inner tube is still half full of air, but pressing the valve to release it does nothing...knackered valve perhaps?

Or could there be gel, mousses or some other horrible stuff in there?

I can only just get 2 tyre levers in and get about 1cm of the tyre over the rim.

desperately need to get to the track tomorrow and don't think I can wheelie all the way round the track!:eek:

[I know this is enduro topic but.... same kind thing wheel wise]

Have you changed tyres on the bike before? Is it new to you and you're changing tyres for the first time? Is the tyre fitted with a mousse and a dummy valve (and you don't realise) ??

In this instance it would probably be best to remove the valve completely to make sure all the air is out. If it still feels like it has air in it then you may have answered your own question.

bit embarrassing this....got tyre off got inner tube out [totally flat, no mousses, no gel and er...no air]

got new inner tube in, tyre-levered tyre back on , all pumped and then.....

not quite sitting on/in the rim at the point where the bolt to stop tyre slipping is situated, kinda couldn't see how this bolt
was doing anything as it was not connected to the old inner tube, and hence I did not bother with it for the new inner
tube .

Yes, 1st time changing a tyre, and 1st time on this bike it has had a tyre changed.

any ideas about the er....bulge?

Take it all off and do it again properly :D

You need the rim lock to stop the tyre moving and ripping the valve ...

Pffftttt .... :rolleyes: :D

Can't get tyre off

Tyre changing in my view is one of the worst jobs in motorcycling .

If you are going to do it regularly I would recommend buying a trye changing ring . These cost about £80 and have large arm that can be used to break the bead and for holding the tyre in the bead when refitting .

I take the valve core out before trying to remove the trye , then you need to break the bead and force the tyre into the wheel well . Once off refit the valve core and after fitting the tube into the tyre put a few pounds in which helps to seat the tube and lessens the chances of it being pinched . The security bold should be slackened off and then pushed right up into the tyre . I normally start to fit the tyre around the security bold first . Use plenty of lube and take your time . Good levers are a must , I likethe Buzzetti type which have a lip on them whcih helps to prevent the tube being pinched . When refitting the tyre must be seated in the well of the wheel . If you are experincing difficulty turn the tyre over and make sure it is seated on the other side .

Front tyres in particular can be difficult to seat once and may need to be inflated up to 60 psi .

have fun

anybody got an ideas why I can't get my MX front tyre off?
It seems the inner tube is still half full of air, but pressing the valve to release it does nothing...knackered valve perhaps?

Or could there be gel, mousses or some other horrible stuff in there?

I can only just get 2 tyre levers in and get about 1cm of the tyre over the rim.

desperately need to get to the track tomorrow and don't think I can wheelie all the way round the track!:eek:

[I know this is enduro topic but.... same kind thing wheel wise]

If you're going racing you need to learn to change a tyre in couple of minutes. It's never difficult once you have the right technique.

Just out of interest,why would you need a rim lock on the front wheel, when all the power goes to the back wheel ?

Cheers Tim. Never done of road, I just assumed you would,nt be able to use your front brake hard enough on the loose stuff to make your front tyre creep.:blast

It's down to using a lower tyre pressure.

Other ways of stopping the tyre creeping are self tapping screws in the rim even cleaning the rim and tyre bead with brake cleaner/solvent before fitting can work.

A mates tyre fitting place use a paste on the tyres/rims which acts as a lube to put the tyres on and then sets to act as a seal. I don't know how well it would work for low pressures but by jove its nigh on impossible to break the bead manually when they've been on there for a while.

Ha, I brought my front wheel to my car tyre guy who does fit the odd motorcycle tyre. I brought a new tube for fitting. When I went back next day he was spitting and swearing and telling me he'll never touch an off road tyre again.... I caught "an hour and 10 minutes" during his tirade! I gave him €20 and headed off... very glad I hadn't attempted it myself.... I probably would have started with two spoon from the kitchen drawer LOL.

Have access to a rabaconda though i cant fit my kdx wheels on due to small spindle size.
Blocks of mdf to hold the tyre in the well of the wheel then lever the bugger on.
Sounds like the rim lock was sitting under the tyre here. I always leave the bolt lose as and fit the tyre round the rim lock first. Everybody has different ways of tyre changing though only practice and making sure the tyre us in the well of the wheel opposite where you lever are key.
And not levering past 90 degrees when fitting tubes:jibberbig

Back
Top Bottom