Ukraine advice

monkeyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm going London to Bangkok this year, leaving mid August. I'm going to meet up with some people in Russia and head down and across with them but I need to get across there PDQ as I've commitments here.

I'm a reasonably experienced traveller and done a lot (maybe 60-70k) away on the bike. Been through Eastern europe and the balkans etc but I'm going to go across Ukraine alone - not somewhere I've been before - and I'd like any advice that could help expedite my journey. I'm comfortable dealing with police (plenty of that in central/south america - hell, I even got pulled over by the police in Timbuktu:)) but I'm looking for ways to avoid it or deal with it quickly if at all possible as I'll be in a hurry.

I'm sure the country and the people are basically safe and OK, it's just the boys in blue have a bad rep across there.

Any recommendations for places to stay in the south would be welcome too.

Thanks

From my understanding, if you stay west of the Dniper river, then you should be ok. In fact you are likely to be welcomed with open arms. But the further east you go, the likelyhood of problems or being caught in someone else's arguement increases

I worked in Donetsk in the early 2000's and found the people very friendly and welcoming, but it is very near the Russian border and has many ethnic russians living there

this is actually a serious response - dont worry about the issues - avoid the hotspots, dont discuss politics unless very sure of who you are with - point out it is their country to decide - not yours from west, and travel with good vodka (2x 500ml good Ukraine or russian vodka - or one of each) in your panniers and a set of shot glasses ( Ikea sell cheaply). You will have no issues if you are open n friendly. Both ethnic groups have hospitality ingrained.... oh take alka seltzer and paracetamol. Enjoy the trip and the Vodka tip applies for Central Asia too

Thanks for all the replies - all good advice. Yep - I'll take the vodka for sure. I usually carry a big bag of sweets or something anyway. Even African police can be placated with a chewy sweet. As for the politics - understood. I've ridden though other areas like Bosnia/Serbia etc and the political and ethnic tensions are still there for all to see so its defo a case of just keep your mouth shut and smile.

I'll see where I'm going to meet in Russia and plan it from there. I'll stock up on common sense before I go. That's usually the most important item to pack.

Back
Top Bottom