K1600 or what?

In 3 years time when I retire I shall treat myself to a K1600 ... I won't worry about any of the above. If you go on any bike forum the chaps will always bitch about their steeds ... it's a wonder that anyone buys the bikes in the first place ! You can't please everyone all of the time and from what I have heard read and seen the K1600 is a stonking bit of kit so don't worry yourself with all that minor stuff just go out and buy one.

At least another 10 years for me, but it's a great plan and I've not even ridden one!

When I bought my K1600GT SE in 2011 it was either that or a Yamaha FJR1300. I owned an FJR before they're superb bikes, but I thought the BMW offered better value for money. I added engine bars, top box with brake light, SatNav, Akropovic exhausts, 3M clear cover shield paint protect, auxiliary LED spotlights, Stebel horn.

They're a very heavy bike and feel very top heavy, they clunk and backlash loads. The ride by wire is crap and if riding in 30mph areas it's as though the bike fuel injection is hunting all the time lurching forward trying to go faster.

Also, make sure you get 3M cover shield on panniers at least. Always rubbing boots against pannier whilst getting on/off. Everyone who gets on does it.

The HID tilting headlight was the worst light I've ever had on any bike since the 1970's and high beam useless. You need the auxiliary LED spotlights. The owl eyes look good but are just for show, they are too dull, need to be much brighter like on some bmw cars for daytime running lights.

Bought BMW system helmets and bluetooth communicators but still had loads of problems with the way BMW have nobbled the bluetooth satnav/phone/music implementation. Many people were splicing into wires and fitting wired units.

No matter what setting I used, I couldn't get the ESA suspension setup. It always felt way too hard. Motorways use a rougher mix Tarmac than normal roads. So when riding on motorways I could feel every piece of gravel in the Tarmac surface. I also got numb hands with the high frequency vibration, especially right hand, so bought some foam over-grips which helped.

I kept it for a year then got 12k for it in PX against an Harley Davidson. I lost a lot but BMW warranty & servicing is terrible. They make you jump through hoops to get anything done at all. It's ad though everything is too much trouble. Complete opposite to Harley Davidson who go out of their way to help. none of the BMW dealers I spoke to even wanted it. I always thought Harleys were a joke, but it's so much more enjoyable to ride (except cornering and braking), motorway riding is so much smoother. The harley has very low centre of gravity and is easier to handle. The Satnav is a Garmin unit, like the BMW but it just works perfect, because H-D didn't try to mess about with it. I have to admit, the seat is crap (needs replacing) and the oem headlight is really bad, so I fitted optional LED headlight and driving lamps, what a difference. Way better than the K16 even with its auxiliary lights.

Btw, BMW warranty claims are terrible. They make you jump through hoops to get anything done at all. It's as though everything is too much trouble. Complete opposite to Harley Davidson who go out of their way to help.

K1600GT PROs.
Looks good
Handles good
Well built
Excellent panniers
Excellent heated grips & seat
Satnav positioning/mounting.

K1600GT CONs.
Top heavy - engine bars fitted for peace of mind.
Overly complex menu system using wonder wheel selection.
Not enough storage for trips - added removable matching top box with brake light.
Exhausts look too big for bike - replace with nicer looking Akropovic.
HID headlight terrible (worst I've ever had) - added auxiliary LED lights
Note. If fitting auxiliary LED lights also have to swap left hand switch gear.
Terrible ride by wire throttle at low speeds
Very clunky driveshaft / transmission
Key remotes just stop working for no reason - have to be reset/pair up again.
Bluetooth terrible even with BMW helmet & communicator.
Standard horn is crap - replace with Stebel horn.

After 12 months with Harley Davidson I'm pissed off with cleaning all the chrome every time I ride it. It looks good but I can't be arsed any more. I fancied a GS1200LC. But just been to dealers and these bikes are way too tall. Dealer said people over 6ft buy these. I'm only 5'9 with 32" inseam. Dealer said I'm not tall enough, he could order lower seat but it would just have less foam padding so be uncomfortable, so no point. He asked if I'd considered a K1600 which had a lower seat height!!

Sent via Tapatalk HD

Sorry Fatman if you can't sit on a bike and decide for yourself whether you can ride it, then no wonder you get fobbed off when it comes warranty issues. IMHO you better go back to your FJR as it appears reading your post that no bike is good enough for you.

If the GS LC is too tall, he could try riding the new RT LC, I hear they're pretty good... ;)

I have ridden the K1600GT when it was first launched. The upgrades BMW have made to the current model has made it better to ride. As it was in 2011 I wouldn't have bought the bike but now I'm considering one. Your post just confirms that your expectations of a premium product was let down but it also confirms that this bike is not to be had without the BMW warranty and thanks for the tips. As regards to the bluetooth and satnav, I don't want to hear the satnav, it should be seen and not heard is my opinion and I don't use BMW helmets or their bluetooth.

I took the missus out Friday for her opinion of the bike. The dealer put a top box on and it made a difference to how the wind swirls around the screen and with the missus on it is much better. She preferred the top box and commented that the seat is better than the Hexhead GSA but shorter. The wind protection is not better though and she said she could feel the wind pushing on her shoulders where as the GSA it pushed it over and around us.

All in all a good bike, comfortable, very fast and with all the toys. You will have to plan any car park manoeuvres or incline parking for it is a heavy machine and hasn't got the steering lock of the GS. I will in due time test the new GSA and RT but I will let the impression of the bike settle with me before testing the next one. I like the acceleration of the machine and the handling on the twisty bits. A Harley would not give me the same dynamic ability that I enjoy in a bike. Coincidently I had a short lift on the back of a Cross Bones over a field and that had a really comfortable rear seat. I did look at the FJR 2014 model but the panniers are too small for a 2 week camping holiday. Regrettably Triumph has some good bikes but none that I'm interested in.

Just for reference, I don't know who your dealer or the salesman is but he is talking through his arse. At 5'10'' I'm more than capable to handle the Hexhead GSA and with the narrower seat of the WC GSA I have no problem getting my feet flat on the ground. Try the bike for yourself before believing what is being said.

The dealer I went to was Chester. They only had one GS there and that was on a battery charger with the seat removed. I asked the sales guy if they had any more, that's when he said I was too small to ride a GS. They had a GSA but he said only v.tall people buy em. I had a quick look around their very limited stock then left.

The problem with most dealers especially BMW is they put signs on bikes saying "no sitting on this bike". By contrast Harley Davidson don't do this, they seem to encourage people to sit on the bikes and try as many as they want.

Sent via Tapatalk HD

If the GS LC is too tall, he could try riding the new RT LC, I hear they're pretty good... ;)

Funny you should say that. I'm just reading about them now. They look better than the previous model, I thought they've got rid of some of their 'old man' image but my son in law just said the GS definitely has more street cred though.

Sent via Tapatalk HD

Sorry Fatman if you can't sit on a bike and decide for yourself whether you can ride it, then no wonder you get fobbed off when it comes warranty issues. IMHO you better go back to your FJR as it appears reading your post that no bike is good enough for you.

Difficult to sit on a bike when there's none available and the regime doesn't allow it anyway.

You've probably never had to plea for warranty work with BMW. They are never wrong no matter what. It doesn't matter how many K1600s clunk, that's how they're supposed to be, they all do it. If there's a fault which I and many others had with our bikes, the dealer has always never heard anything about the problem... Funny that! They wouldn't even exchange a day old faulty system 6 visor, they insisted I bought another one whilst the faulty one was sent back for examination.

Btw, sounds like you're a BMW fanboy, or envious of FJRs maybe? I don't do brand loyalty, I go with whatever I like if I change my mind, then I change bikes. Even after all the crap BMW gave me, I don't hold it against them. They make good bikes. The problem seems to be their dealers.

Sent via Tapatalk HD

Enough said about Xhester - same every time I have been in
Cards on table, that's only been 3 times but I think the last 2 were me trying to be fair on them as the first visit was a blatant rip off and I was attempting to see if it was systemic or a one-off.

Fatman, my local is Wollaston and I never had a problem with then regarding demo riding or sitting on a bike or even the warranty work that was required and the once or twice out of warranty stuff. They have enough bikes young and old to have a try on. I suggest you go to another dealer near you. Is Manchester to far away?

CHOICES

Hmmm, Yeah, difficult.... not really..... as over the past 7 years, my missus absolutely simply will NOT entertain anything other than the Goldwing GL1800 pillion arrangement. Guess you can see why.
And storage space, oh aye. Camping is cool. But when the pillion is occupied, minimum of Premier Inn I'm afraid.
Tried the K1600 myself. Love the engine, but as I mostly ride two up, it just don't make the standard for her indoors I'm afraid.
Reliability abounds, quality never an issue, easy to self service and when I really wanna go out and give it the berries I'll jump on my GSX1400 / FZR1000 / FZS1000. Dropped the 'Wing twice at a standstill - it sits on the crashbars with no damage to bars / plastics - try that on a K1600 or Harley! Oh and I even go off road occasionally too. Thank god for reverse gear. :thumb2

You gotta try one 'cos there's nowt better for two up touring IMO.

I had a 2012 GTLE, fantastic. Very comfy, surprisingly nimble and a joy to ride. 1200 miles in the engine developed a major oil leak. Ironically this developed whilst enroute to the dealers for some warranty work. Four days later I was advised that the bike needed a new short engine!!!!!! Holy cow. Needless to say I rejected the bike and BMW agreed. Bahnstormers were excellent and the bike was replaced with a new 2013 model. During the following year we toured and I was very pleased with the ride that the bike produced but very disappointed with the several minor but very irritating faults that came up, head lamp misting, instruments misting, centre stand springs falling off, left hand rotary switch gear filing to mention but a few. On taking the bike in for its first annual service I made a decision to change back to the GSA triple black. Whilst in many ways I really miss the GTLE the GSA is such a fantastic machine and certainly its better for Isle of Wight roads. The GTLE just seemed to be a bit premature, it seems they pushed it off the production line a few months before the bike was ready. I could be persuaded to return there one day but currently I want a steady reliable bike that I can trust, the GSA does just that, so far 2000 miles with no incidents. I would certainly not dismiss the K but I wish it had ben a bit more reliable, its a great bike.

Due to known issues with the new RT, I've had a brand new K1600GTL as a loan bike for our (4000 mile) summer tour around Spain, and now back I just wanted to report my thoughts.

Firstly, as of March this I came from 6 years on a 08 GSA and eventually became (old) tired of the wind noise, buffeting and maybe subconsciously was just ready for a change. We mainly used the GSA, two up, for long range touring within Europe, predominantly camping, for which it was perfect, the ability to go off-road with confidence, strap additional waterproof bags etc etc made it the perfect rugged machine for our needs and we absolutely loved it. Eventually wanting more comfort and after much soul searching we decided to move away from camping to hotels and as such road tested and selected the new RT. From the initial test ride, it felt as though I was ridding in a bubble and I reckoned that after 350miles I would still feel fresh! I had at the time dismissed the K1600 due to sheer size and weight.

The K1600GTL was delivered to me with just 26 miles on the clock and my first impression visually was Wow what a sunning looking machine! My second impression when sat on it was Wow this feels really comfortable, I really liked the seat to bars / screen ridding position. Then I took it off the side-stand and took the full weight and thought holy shit it's heavy! Then I fired it into life and soon forgot about the weight as it sounds simply awesome! With panniers fully loaded my pillion on board and the Nav 5 tuned into our B/T headsets we set off on our six week adventure. So now back what do I think?

Pros
The engine is simply awesome
It sounds amazing
Gears 3 /4 I simply loved the torque
Loved the ridding position
Loved the screen protection
The comfort is unsurpassed
Surprised just how robust the panniers are
The air vent / flaps are a stroke of absolute genius especially at 39 degrees
Bike feels as light as a feather once moving above 20mph
Very smooth through corners and cornering
Central locking great feature
Stereo has really great sound

Cons
It's weight when ridding at very low speed makes the bike a little unstable.
It's sheer weight when pushing the bike around
The clunky gears / transmission, still way too noisy for a bike of this quality
Distinct lack of engine braking
The dash display / Sat Nav hard to read, particularly in bright sunshine.
Stereo's a nice to have but I wouldn't use it myself
Initial issues sorting comm's eventually worked OK (could have been just me)

Problems encountered
Starter switch failed twice when bike got wet, once throughly cleaned and dried it worked fine again.

So, would I buy one? The simply answer and despite all my comments is a resounding YES, especially when they stick in the quick shift gearbox (as in the RT), changed the clock display to that of the new RT and once I've had 6 months of pumping iron at a local gym! Whatever we ride we always want more.....

Many thanks to BMW for loaning me this bike....it was a blast!

Glad you liked it.

I still love my 1600GT after 22,000 miles.

I'm not so big and I do not find the weight an issue.

Re stereo - it IS useless via the speakers, but it's pretty cool to play via bluetooth into the helmet. I enjoy the radio, riding up and back to London (400 easy miles in a day, with 8 hours work in between).

I'm onto my second K1600 GT and can't fault it. The gearbox is definitely smoother than the previous bike. Apart from the horn switch failing in first week and a couple of leaks from the water pump the bike has served me really well.

All faults were rectified under warranty with no quibbles.

Yes it's heavy but once it's moving above walking pace the weight disappears.

I have covered over 17000 miles on it and it's still going strong.

Another +1 for the K16.

I've had my GT SE model since July and done 7500 miles on it. Cannot praise it enough.

Bought with 626 miles as an ex demo bike, it has never shown any pull to the left despite wearing out the Metzelers and now running on Maxxis tyres, its been completely reliable, and nothing has broken yet.

I arrived via a 2010 1200RT, then a 2014 1200RT. When the recall came out the decision of what to do was very easy - I'd already ridden the GT when my RT went in for its first service and spent the following weeks thinking I'd bought the wrong bike, so when the RT was recalled it was an opportunity, not a problem.

Comparing the RT to the GT, they're very similar and you could be happy with either, the RT dash software is slightly slicker but that's being really picky. I find the GT slightly more comfortable. The luggage is the same on each - note that although dealers say the topboxes are different, you can put an RT top box (both air cooled and WC) on a GT. If you plug in the R1200RTWC top box to a GT then the central locking and brakelight both work too. Of course the biggest difference is the engine. The RT and GS are "oh that's nice", whereas the GT is "WOOOHHHOOOO", and it still gives 53mpg.

However I'd say the biggest plus point for the GT is the sheer decadence of the thing. 6 cylinders? 1649cc? 160bhp? All are so completely over the top that it even commuting to work on it becomes an event.

I think I need to pop down the road now just to check that it still works.....

Mark.

Thank you very much for the feedback. Not bought one yet. Maybe as a birthday present, I wish. The 2013 models onwards are the ones to have. The design of the gearbox has changed and the steering issue has been resolved. So I will be looking for these models. What I do notice is that there is not a lot of the Sport models. Maybe one for sale on the internet and one waiting for an owner at my local. Was it not a popular model in the UK? What is it like with the short screen?

I had a look at the new models at the NEC. A few takes my fancy but some details just pisses me off. For a £15000 plus bike the attention to ergonomics and detail has to be spot on. Not every bike is perfect but simple little niggles that will become a big issue in the future puts off. I'm not talking seats and screens, that is as individual as your DNA. Yet it stills warrants a test ride :D. The GS Adventure gets my attention but it is a very easy bike to ride, always the best bike for the job until you get to mud but it lacks some involvement and I don't fancy riding at 10/10ths all the time to get a kick out of it.

If anybody is after a 2011 K1600GT there is one on auction. 2 days to go as I write.

Back
Top Bottom