Triumph Adventurer Brake master Cylinder problem

brianmaslen

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Recently acquired a Triumph Adventurer which I need to attend to both the brake and clutch master cylinders but unfortunately the previous owner has ruined the cross head countersunk screws which secure the tops to the reservoirs. Does anyone have a good suggestion how to remove the screws?
Is it a case of drilling them out or do I need to replace both reservoirs and if so can I replace them on their own?

Have you tried an impact driver?

Or if there isn't enough of the screw-head left for that, cut a slot in the screw-head with a Dremel, and then use the impact driver with a normal screwdriver bit. :rob

Never used an impact driver tbh, I think the heads may be a bit too far gone for that. However the Dremel was a thought I had and with the impact driver could do it. So off to buy an impact driver tomorrow I think. Tool station on Machine Mart I guess. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi

You could try using a centre punch on the outside of the screw head. When its overcome the initial tightness you'll get enough purchase with a screwdriver, even if the heads or mullared.

An alternative is a tap, metric or imperial. If its the type with a sharp end rather than flat. It will do the same job.

Bill

Having invested in an impact driver and a set of thread/screw removers and got nowhere I came across a small sharp cold chisel in the toolbox and thought I'd try to drive the screws loose as per the centre punch approach. Blow me they turned almost on the second tap.
So thanks for all the suggestions.

At this point I might say you can't teach it

Then I thought

you obviously can:augie

Back
Top Bottom