Google Maps - send to Garmin equivalent

Rong

Reaction score
I used to use this feature quite a bit as I would locate my destination and then simply send it to my Garmin by clicking on the Others>Send option. Since Google have withdrawn this feature I've been looking for other software that does the same but can't find any. I don't want to plan a route or set waypoints, I just want to send a specific location (often initially located by post code then 'tweaked') directly from a map to my Garmin. The reason I like to do it this way is because I look at the 'big' picture on the computer screen and more or less plan the route in my head. I only need the destination location for when I get closer to it on my journey. I should add that these are business trips so the destination is an office location.
I use Tyre for any route planning that I may do but to send just a location means creating it as a favourite in Tyre before sending to the Garmin, all a bit of a faff in comparison with the simple way that Google used to handle it.

Any ideas?

The only thing a can think of, is to find the location in Mapsource or Basecamp, put a waypoint there, then send the waypoint to your unit.

Yeah, much the same as in Tyre and not as simple / easy as it was in Google!

Since Google have withdrawn this feature I've been looking for other software that does the same but can't find any.............I just want to send a specific location......

Any ideas?

Google haven't withdrawn the facility, it's still available and guidance can be found if you look-up "Send Results & Directions to your Car or Navigation Device" in Google Help. What I've noticed over the years of using this method, is Google Maps seem to have the occasional "wobble" and a few of the features lock-out or become unavailable. FWIW, I've noticed occasionally the Send To Car facility trips up, too.
It's probably not you, more something to do with Google's code monkeys.

HTH

I don't think that feature is still available. Yes, you can send to car but no longer can you send to GPS (despite what it says in Google Help).

Hope so but for now I will use your suggestion re the HogNav page.

You could also find you location in Google maps then right click it to reveal "whats here" take a note of the coordinates in the search field & enter them into the Garmin.

If the Google coordinates are in the wrong format search Google for a converter tool.

I find my location in Google, then go to the map labs option (small blue printed link on the left nav section). I select latitude and longitude marker. I then drop a marker on my place in google maps. I then copy the lat/long co ords and drop a waypoint anywhere in basecamp. I then edit that waypoints co ords with my copied google co ords. I then send that point to the gramin. Works a treat every time!

Long winded solutions for what used to be a simple click and send to GPS! Of everything i've looked at so far, the HogNav option is the closest to what Google used to do and allows me to search by postcode, refine location then send to Garmin creating a 'favourite' that I can then select when I'm reasonably close.

Ok, I have a nexus5 with google maps and garmin smartphone link installed. Search for the location on google maps > click on the location details > share > send to smartphone link. The next time my Nav V is switched on, the phone connects via Bluetooth and smartphone link sends the location details to the Nav V. Makes it quite convenient. Not sure how it can be made to work this easy on a PC.

Back
Top Bottom