Exchange bmw xcountry for sertao or 800gs?

vteec

Reaction score
hello

i need your input please because i am undecided.

my dealer has a bmw g650 sertao and f800gs triple black for sale which are almost in brand new condition.

was thinking of upgrading my daily bike, a 2009 g650 xcountry for one of them.

what would you go for?

my other bike is a 90th anniversary 1200gs adventure and i think that the 800gs is closer to that bike than the sertao is.

i do not use the adventure everyday because i like to have something smaller and lighter for the daily commute.

but the 800gs looks like more refined next to the sertao.

what would you do?

thank you

Seeing as how a number of folk are starting to talk about the BMW X range as possibly the best, most under-rated small bikes that BMW ever made I think that you should stick with what you have and if it needs refurbishing or upgrading spend the money on that.

Nothing else will likely be as fun and economical as the X-Country.

gulp Packer.... a number of people adviced me just that!
to keep the xcountry......

do not know what to do because i feel it is time for an upgrade and have heated grips, hand guards etc...

do not know what to do because i feel it is time for an upgrade and have heated grips, hand guards etc...

After market Daytona heated grips £24.00 on e-bay. Hotter than a hot thing, almost too much with summer ventilated gloves in handlebar muffs, even well below zero ambient temperatures. Very simple to install.

Again, plenty about, you may even get lucky and get some BM ones used from Motoworks etc.

So you need to spend about £100 so far. What's next on your list? You could probably upgrade the suspension both ends plus an X-Tank for extended range and the above two items for less than the cost of change to one of your chosen bikes.

A spare pair of wheels with TKC's or Heidi' K60's for off-roading might be another idea. The X bike will be better than either of the others for that kind of fun.

keep the xc, mine is a keeper............ :beerjug:

hello
i went to have a look at the sertao again and spoke to the dealer.
they went through all the work was carried out under warranty when bike was just five months old:
decompression lever on exhaust camshaft
cylinder head cover

as far as i know these were not recalls but work performed on a number of bikes.
does this mean that the engine in this particular sertao was in bits and pieces just when five months old?
or to change the decompression lever is a straight forward job?

i had the hot start issue with my xcountry but i just replaced the battery and never had any more issues.
i am usually wary of bikes who have their engines in pieces.....

what do you think please?

thank you

Keep the XCountry

Same bike, but more power & less weight

Just fit a decent screen to the XCountry

The XCountry will do everything the Sertao will

Keep the XCountry

Same bike, but more power & less weight

Just fit a decent screen to the XCountry

The XCountry will do everything the Sertao will

Ear Ear JB

Seeing as how a number of folk are starting to talk about the BMW X range as possibly the best, most under-rated small bikes that BMW ever made I think that you should stick with what you have and if it needs refurbishing or upgrading spend the money on that.

And why do you think some folk are saying that?:augie

Because others say get rid of the XC and go for the Sertao, a much better bike........:clap

In your dreams:p

Having had both, the XCountry is far better

Didn't know you had a Sertao?.........

Anyway, Ange as you know had an Xcountry and hated it but loves the Sertao, no dreams just reality......probably because it's not a girls bike :p

Didn't know you had a Sertao?.........

Anyway, Ange as you know had an Xcountry and hated it but loves the Sertao, no dreams just reality......probably because it's not a girls bike :p

Dakar is the same bike as Setao - more or less

That's funny after riding my XCountry............... you went out and bought one, for Ange:p

I thought it was Ange that didn't like it, you seemed impressed at the time, with the XCountry:augie

Anyhow it matters not, there's no way I'd buy a Sertao, over a XCountry - the Sertao is 40 kgs heavier and 5 bhp less...............for starters:blast

So in fact you've not had a Sertao, :blast....... which incidentally seems a much nicer bike than the Dakar.... we got an XC because I thought she'd like it, it being small and girly like but that wasn't the case.

You can quote figures all you like but the fact that someone had an XCounty, which she found a 'boring bike to own' and is very happy now remains and all I'm doing is exactly what you are ..... just the other side of the coin:beerjug:

XC water pump seal gone? oh that'll be a 10 minute job then:D
486215_10152256467760554_1786685533_n.jpg

My old Dakar was better than both, so stop ya arguing :D

Then I sold it :blast

My old Dakar was better than both, so stop ya arguing :D

Then I sold it :blast

Took Ange's Sertao for a 'test ride' whilst she was at work ( so she didn't know where I went:D), this ones in a different league to the more Standard Dak, your's also had a decent front end on and it makes the world of difference:beerjug:

securedownload-XL.jpg

I had a Dakar, and have an X country but gained most enjoyment from my R 850GS.
So in answer to your question, go for an extended test ride on whatever bike you fancy and buy the one you prefer.

I had a Dakar, and have an X country but gained most enjoyment from my R 850GS.
So in answer to your question, go for an extended test ride on whatever bike you fancy and buy the one you prefer.
...and I'm still getting lots of enjoyment out of your old R850GS and we're selling the wife's Dakar!

I hate to sound boring... but it all comes down to what you want to do with the bike :thumb

Otherwise, you should just get an HP2 and be done with it :D

Back
Top Bottom