Help me identify a rattle...

Are you sure about that Matt? Logic suggest that a primary reduction, either chain or gear, would reduce the input shaft speed but increase the torque loading by the ratio of the primary drive. It may be that the higher input shaft speed increases gear wear due to the faster sliding of teeth as they mesh.

You could well be right - I was paraphrasing from something I read on this issue (the need for GL5) by a BMW gearbox man - I may be misquoting ;)

Talking of gearbox oils...

This appears to meet the 1150GS gear oil spec (fully synth 75w90 GL-5) and seems like good value.

Triple QX Fully Synthetic Gear Oil

(Dare I ask if anyone has used it in their 1150GS and been happy/unhappy?)
:hide

This appears to meet the 1150GS gear oil spec (fully synth 75w90 GL-5) and seems like good value.

Triple QX Fully Synthetic Gear Oil

(Dare I ask if anyone has used it in their 1150GS and been happy/unhappy?)
:hide

My concern with this would be how it can be both GL4 and GL5 grade - the two formulations are different as Tim notes above.

For the extra couple,of quid, I'd go to halfords and get either their straight 90 grade GL5 (labelled as differential oil I think from memory) or their 75w90 semi synth GL5 gear oil. I've used both these in my 1100's box and it didn't explode so I guess you could say I'm 'happy' with them.

In reality though, I'd guess you'll struggle to get any 'happy / unhappy' opinions regarding a specific oil - about the best anyone can say is that they're happy if their gearbox hasn't exploded - how much of this non-explodiness is due to the oil is anyone's guess... :)

There seem to be a few gear oils that claim to be GL-4/GL-5 (Mobil Mobilube 1 SHC 75W-90 fully synthetic gear oil is another) and I think it just means the oil meets the requirements of both GL-4 and GL-5 specifications. That may be OK for some gearboxes, just not for the GS, as some have reported isssues when using the mixed grade GL-4/GL-5 stuff (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?370239-Gear-Oil-Gearbox-amp-Final-drive&highlight=gearbox+oil).

Ok I didn't quite mean "explodiness" :) but also mentioned in that thread were significantly improved gear changes for someone changing to a specific oil, so some people do apparently see/feel a difference.

Anyway, point taken and I'll spend a few more quid on some decent oil that's only GL-5 ...otherwise I might just be back here asking for help in identifying a rattle :eek

There seem to be a few gear oils that claim to be GL-4/GL-5 (Mobil Mobilube 1 SHC 75W-90 fully synthetic gear oil is another) and I think it just means the oil meets the requirements of both GL-4 and GL-5 specifications. That may be OK for some gearboxes, just not for the GS, as some have reported isssues when using the mixed grade GL-4/GL-5 stuff (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?370239-Gear-Oil-Gearbox-amp-Final-drive&highlight=gearbox+oil).

Ok I didn't quite mean "explodiness" :) but also mentioned in that thread were significantly improved gear changes for someone changing to a specific oil, so some people do apparently see/feel a difference.

Anyway, point taken and I'll spend a few more quid on some decent oil that's only GL-5 ...otherwise I might just be back here asking for help in identifying a rattle :eek

I've tried all sorts of gear oils in my (m97 gearbox) 1100 up to and including redline shockproof and super special / expensive Castrol 140 weight stuff intended for race car gearboxes. None of them made a jot of difference to the gearchange - it always changed with the same tractor like thump. Now with the box fully rebuilt by Steve Scriminger and running semi synth 75w90 it still changes just the same. I've come to the conclusion that apart from mitigating explodiness, oils can't make an oilhead gearbox be anything other than an oilhead gearbox...

API GL-4. Oils for various conditions - light to heavy. They contain up to 4.0% effective anti-scuffing additives. Designed for bevel and hypoid gears which have small displacement of axes, the gearboxes of trucks, and axle units. These oils are standard for synchronized gearboxes, especially in Europe, and may also be recommended for non-synchronized gearboxes of US trucks, tractors and buses and for main and other gears of all vehicles. GL-4 oils may also be used in many limited-slip differentials.

API GL-5. Oils for severe conditions. They contain up to 6.5% effective anti-scuffing additives. The general application of oils in this class are for hypoid gears having significant displacement of axes, generally non limited-slip differentials. They are recommended as universal oils to all other units of mechanical transmission (except synchronized gearboxes specifying GL-4). Some GL-5 oils in this class, which have special approval of vehicle manufacturers, can be used in synchronized manual gearboxes. API GL-5 oils can be used in limited slip differentials only if they correspond to the requirements of specification MIL-L-2105D or ZF TE-ML-05. In this case the designation of class will be another, for example API GL-5+ or API GL-5 LS.

I used this in my other GS for both the FD and gearbox. Can't see it being an issue but reading all this I'm now beginning to wonder! Anyone else using this?

uruha9um.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Anyway, getting back to the rattle, it has worsened. Previously, it was only heard/felt at low RPM whilst moving in gear. Now it is evident in neutral (especially when cold) and is getting bigger though less evident when engine hot. . There is no loss of power, smoke out of exhaust or anything like that.
Curiously my battery went flat over the weekend. Could the alternator be falling off perhaps?

I am finding it rather depressing to be honest. I have been really enjoying riding the thing. I will see if I can get back down to Steptoe's soon to let him have another listen.

API GL-4. Oils for various conditions - light to heavy. They contain up to 4.0% effective anti-scuffing additives. Designed for bevel and hypoid gears which have small displacement of axes, the gearboxes of trucks, and axle units. These oils are standard for synchronized gearboxes, especially in Europe, and may also be recommended for non-synchronized gearboxes of US trucks, tractors and buses and for main and other gears of all vehicles. GL-4 oils may also be used in many limited-slip differentials.

API GL-5. Oils for severe conditions. They contain up to 6.5% effective anti-scuffing additives. The general application of oils in this class are for hypoid gears having significant displacement of axes, generally non limited-slip differentials. They are recommended as universal oils to all other units of mechanical transmission (except synchronized gearboxes specifying GL-4). Some GL-5 oils in this class, which have special approval of vehicle manufacturers, can be used in synchronized manual gearboxes. API GL-5 oils can be used in limited slip differentials only if they correspond to the requirements of specification MIL-L-2105D or ZF TE-ML-05. In this case the designation of class will be another, for example API GL-5+ or API GL-5 LS.

No mention anywhere in that lot of the really important fact....that GL5 corrodes yellow/bronze bushings/metals.

It's now a continuous vibration (at least) whenever in gear. Worse when cold. I changed the engine oil and filter and am continuing to ride it.

If it was the cam chain surely you would hear it whenever the engine was running not just when it's in gear?

Well, we're all guessing a bit here perhaps you've forgotten that Steptoe thinks it's the gearbox:D changing the oil won't fix it but you possibly may have noticed a difference.
I have two spare 1150 gearboxes if it comes to that.:beerjug:

I don't doubt Steptoe, but I had not actually crossed his palm with silver and the rattle was always less apparent when the engine is warm (as it was after i rode down to his abode) so a two minutes listen might not have been enough.

I did change the gearbox oil. but the vibes, they increase! It is hard to tell by how much as it's cumulative.

:rolleyes:
No mention anywhere in that lot of the really important fact....that GL5 corrodes yellow/bronze bushings/metals.
I heard of this before. But not knowing the GS gear box of FD well, do they have any bronze bushes or bearings that would be affected??

:rolleyes:
I heard of this before. But not knowing the GS gear box of FD well, do they have any bronze bushes or bearings that would be affected??

I'd assume not as BMW specify GL5 for the 'box and the FD

I don't doubt Steptoe, but I had not actually crossed his palm with silver and the rattle was always less apparent when the engine is warm (as it was after i rode down to his abode) so a two minutes listen might not have been enough.

I did change the gearbox oil. but the vibes, they increase! It is hard to tell by how much as it's cumulative.

You may have two or more issues, one the gearbox has a bit of slop that causes a rattle when the bike is cold and ticking over more slowly and two, the bike may need valves, rocker end float and throttle position sensor setting up properly. This will make the bike run much more smoothly and reduce the rattling in the gearbox.

If Steptoe says it's gearbox rattle you can wager the lives of your loved ones that it is gearbox rattle.

Try and attend a meeting of UKGSers who also have or had 1150's, they will soon put your mind at rest as to how bad it sounds. Of course they will probably try and wind you up, instilling fear of imminent mechanical doom first :D

I'd assume not as BMW specify GL5 for the 'box and the FD
Yea, that would make sense. But having never been inside the units of these bikes I'm dependent on the wisdom of the wise (aka Steptoe!). I've also recently stuck GL5 into both my FD and gear box so kinda interested!

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom