Thread: New suspenders required

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

New suspenders required

Having had my 2005 1200GS from new and covering 39000 miles, I am feeling that the original suspension is getting tired - feels a bit vague now tipping into corners at times. (* tyres are correctly inflated * ).

I ride solo and only have vario panniers fitted when off on hols.

I've read a lot of posts which as usual are very subjective; what I am looking for is advice on what aftermarket suspension is available, at what prices and who to deal with for a trouble free purchase. Most of the websites are terrible to negotiate.

Maxton ring up and speak to Richard great to deal with , they will get all the details they need over the phone, spec the units for your weight and use then pay them, took 10 days to get mine for the gsa and then it was fit and forget.
    Recommends they are serviced every 4 years or so.
    Mine cost £1350 a pair 3 years ago

Nitrons

Got these rather nice Nitrons for my R1200GSA today via Rugged Roads. Specked to my weight & usage and came a lot less than the figure shown above for Maxtons. Drop Rugged Roads a line and have a chat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please support London's Air Ambulance
    http://londonsairambulance.co.uk

How the hell do you wear out a set of shocks in 40,000 miles of road use? My bike has done over 100,000 miles now (1150 Adv) and is on the original shocks and they have never been touched in its life - they are still perfect. No leaks, still ride at the same height and don't pogo stick over bumps. £1300 every few years.....christ on a bike that is EXPENSIVE motoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Stujw70 View Post
    Got these rather nice Nitrons for my R1200GSA today via Rugged Roads. Specked to my weight & usage and came a lot less than the figure shown above for Maxtons. Drop Rugged Roads a line and have a chat.
    2nd that on Nitrons! Previous 1150 had Ohlins put on. These are less expensive..... but I cannot say Ohlins are any better than these.
    'Nice thing about egotists......they don't talk about other people'

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    How the hell do you wear out a set of shocks in 40,000 miles of road use? My bike has done over 100,000 miles now (1150 Adv) and is on the original shocks and they have never been touched in its life - they are still perfect. No leaks, still ride at the same height and don't pogo stick over bumps. £1300 every few years.....christ on a bike that is EXPENSIVE motoring.
    I thought the same until I changed mine (to Nitrons via Rugged Roads - good people to deal with).

The bike was transformed, I never knew there was a problem as I'd adapted to the gradual decline of the shock.

And you don't need to change them as they can be repaired/serviced.
    There can only be 11 and I'm one.

My pics

Give the boys at MCT a ring, they strip and rebuild your oe suspension for about £500. Excellent job done and you can watch them while they work, no black magic behind closed doors with those guys!
    Don`t believe anyone who says the oe can`t be stripped and rebuilt, I`ve watched them do it!

Stay Frosty Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Fivehundredquid!
    Ready To >> Rest

Try riding something with decent suspension fitted and you will realise just how knackered suspension can be after only 40,000 miles, it doesn't have to be pissing out oil

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Fivehundredquid!
    Yep, better than some prices and you get quality workmanship and materials as well as set up just for you

That's my thoughts to although I'm just around the 60k mark. Still comfy predictable and able to keep up with my mates.

Quote Originally Posted by stolzy View Post
    I thought the same until I changed mine (to Nitrons via Rugged Roads - good people to deal with).

The bike was transformed, I never knew there was a problem as I'd adapted to the gradual decline of the shock.

And you don't need to change them as they can be repaired/serviced.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil W View Post
    Try riding something with decent suspension fitted and you will realise just how knackered suspension can be after only 40,000 miles, it doesn't have to be pissing out oil
    My RSV was fitted with ohlins which wasn't set up properly. Getting the set up right made the difference not changing the units. I agree that you do adapt to slight changes in the bike but being realistic if you change the suspension units then you should be changing all the bushes associated with suspension as you're only adding a new part to already worn parts so you won't get the full benefit and I doubt many people do that.

Apart from that it's each to their own and If I had the spare cash I'd probably get the whole lot done just to freshen the bike up.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

The Paralever rear trunnion moves only a few degrees so can quickly become damaged as the grease runs out from under the bearing rollers.
    It's even worse on later bikes that can have the oil changed without tipping the final drive case.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750