Y peice. Are they worth it?

Bonzo

Reaction score
I see Nippy Normans are doing stainless Y-peices for £180.

Are they really worth it? Are the claimed benefits real or imagined? Or is it only a benefit when used with a Remus (or other aftermarket pipe)?

As most of the restriction is in the CAT, even with the standard can you get a gain and it sound nicer too.

Pete A

And when you whip it off, you'll be shocked at how bloody heavy the thing is!

Is it just me or is the whole reason to have this cat on is to protect the environment, so we still have one to breath....rather than pollute the dam place for a few extra CC, which don't make you any better a rider, just quicker for the cops to nick you!!

Ok thats my rant over, back to the cell!

:confused:

doesn't a cat convert CO to CO2, the very gas that's destroying the ozone layer?

can't have that, ditch the thing :)

Boz said:
Is it just me or is the whole reason to have this cat on is to protect the environment, so we still have one to breath....rather than pollute the dam place for a few extra CC,

Have you any idea how much pollution is caused in the production of a cat - just so they can say it's greener and be all politically correct - and what about the re-cycling of a cat .

The worlds gone mad

Boz said:
Is it just me or is the whole reason to have this cat on is to protect the environment, so we still have one to breath....rather than pollute the dam place for a few extra CC, which don't make you any better a rider, just quicker for the cops to nick you!!

Ok thats my rant over, back to the cell!

:confused:

In theory thats correct, in practise the enviromental debt of a CAT is far greater than its benefits, its most active ingrediant, as far as Im aware is plutoinium, the average journey in the UK is less than 5 miles in this time the CAT equiped vehicle produces up to more than 5 times the pollution than a non Cat vehicle, add the fact tht most motorbikes produce less emmisions than the equivalant car, you can ditch it with a clear mind.

Pete A

pragmatix said:
In theory thats correct, in practise the enviromental debt of a CAT is far greater than its benefits, its most active ingrediant, as far as Im aware is plutoinium, the average journey in the UK is less than 5 miles in this time the CAT equiped vehicle produces up to more than 5 times the pollution than a non Cat vehicle, add the fact tht most motorbikes produce less emmisions than the equivalant car, you can ditch it with a clear mind.

Pete A

I think you'll find it's platinum Pete. At least, I bloody hope so...

Mike:p

ALERT to all GS owners... Taliban buying used Cat's to make dirty bomb!:bomb

Mike O said:
I think you'll find it's platinum Pete. At least, I bloody hope so...

Mike:p

Yeh, Mike like I said platinum, key board has gone dyslecsic;)

Pete A

pragmatix said:
[B its most active ingrediant, as far as Im aware is plutoinium,

Pete A [/B]

Pete, I was just on the way to the loo when I read this, Just about shat myself when I laughed.

cookie said:
doesn't a cat convert CO to CO2, the very gas that's destroying the ozone layer?

CO2 doesn't destroy the ozone layer, but it is a greenhouse gas. The two things are very different. Plutonium does neither :D

Sounds like its strangling the engine and bolloxing up the world aswell. Its gotta go!

So is £180 a good price, or can they be got cheaper elsewhere? And how easy are they to fit?

schnauzer said:
Is Pete turning into a Plutonium blonde! :D :D

One wee mistake. Go on laugh I can take it:) One night drunk in charge of a computer:rolleyes: Glad to provide some humour in this other wise dour world:beerjug: It was me keyboard honest;)

Pete A

The Y piece cured the surging I had on my single spark 02 GS

I have read numerous accounts power increase attrituble to fitting a Y piece and one person some time ago promised to post dyno charts of before and after which I do not recall seeing. I along with a fellow GS owner tried an admittedly unscientific trial to see how the Y piece benefited so called mid range performance. One 1150 with Y piece one with standard CAT both in 3rd gear at the same speed (40mph) on a deserted piece of road and wound the throttle on to max. Interestingly there was no discernible difference in the acceleration of the bikes they stayed neck and neck right up to the red line this was repeated on a number of occasions and each time the result was the same.
The one with the Y piece sounds "fruiter" and actually feels as if its doing more but I/we could not find where it improved acceleration against the bike with a Cat ??
We had done a considerable amount of riding together prior to fitting the Y piece and had found the bikes to be very closely matched for acceleration.

Jim

That would be right. When you calculate the mass of the cat relative to the weight of the bike + rider, the additional weight is negligible relative to the power output, and under normal roadgoing conditions, one would require a very accurate piece of measuring apparatus to see, within statistically valid tolerances, a "real" difference. So forget all the nonsense about the cat being "heavy". It makes little real difference.

However, even BMW agree that the Y piece allows a cleaner flowpath through the system and it is likely that when used with a performance exhaust + tuning "chips" and all the associated electromechanical gadgetry that so fascinates the average GSer, (even me !) that the net speed (based on most series of measurements) is undoubtedly likely (and I say, "likely" to be higher.

Also, the Y piece does sound "fruitier" as you say. It's a forlorn quest, really, as BMW fit cats because they're required by (their ?) legislation and because they quieten the engine, not surprising in a country where the Green Party was a leading influence on thought for so many years. Didn't they also develop the first recyclable car ?

I'd like to fit a Y piece but for reasons that are more emotive and red in tooth and claw than common sense alone. Logic should prevent us all from spending the money, but, hey, when we we lot ever logical ?? It's just not fun.

Toodle pip.

Back
Top Bottom