new Garmin Zumo 590 LM and Touratech lockable mounts

Reggie P

Hello I'm curious about the new Garmin Zumo 590. It's attractive to me because of the large bright screen , the bluetooth music and connectivity . I've never had a GPS on my bike before - so may i ask how "secure and "usable" these lockable mounts are.

The Touratech one is approx £125 in the uk and I'm trying to get the best combination of mount/gps for my much loved F800GS.

I can imagine it keeping my GPS "safe" at a petrol stop or coffee break - but does anyone leave a £500 GPS in these mounts overnight at a night stop?

Any advice gratefully received before i make an expensive mistake !

I've always just used standard mount, and rely upon removing the GPS when away from the bike.

Some scrote may still lever your lockable mount to get your GPS...........

Al

Wow , that video is shocking . Thanks Blackal and iand - I appreciate the replies.

Nobody is going to steal your GPS.... Or if they are, they'll have it away, irrespective.

I have seen bods worry about luggage, their bike and for all I know whether they let the cat out, whilst on jaunts. These same bods will then quite happily leave their crash helmet perched on their mirror at a jaunty angle while they stroll off to have lunch or a coffee. "oh, I can see it from here" is their usual reply. No you can't pal, as you are trying to read the menu. The loss of their melon case will bring their day jangling to a halt far faster than the chance theft of their Garmin, trust me.

Just be sensible. If you think it might be stolen, take it off. If you don't, leave the thing alone. Like sand poured into Boxer engine oil fillers, necessitating the purchase of lockable fillers (does anyone know of this actually happening?) it's all tat. You'd be better off spending the £100 on two nights in a hotel.... Overnight removal of panniers, optional.

The current GPS navigators for motorcycles (Garmin 660, 590) are small enough that you can easily stuff them in your pocket when you get off the motorcycle. It's not like 10 years ago, when the Streetpilot III (considered hot stuff at the time) was the same size as a bag phone or paving stone.

I think that the only benefit of the Touratech locking mounts today is that they might provide a more secure grasp on the device when riding on very rough roads or trails. I honestly don't think they add a great deal of security. I have a Touratech mount for my Zumo 660, but I don't bother locking it. If I have any doubts about the neighborhood, I remove the GPS and put it in my pocket.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom