Turkish motorway toll

Ted

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Need a bit of help re new toll cards for Turkish M/Ways. Have an old swipe card but from last year need a new type (drive through). Done a lot of web search and asked a few people but as many different answers. First off where do I get one? PTT (post office seems favorite but some say bikes dont need one!) Do I need to take all bike docs, passport etc? How dose it work on a bike as I understand you have a windscreen sticker/transponder to register the toll. Can I get one, well we need 3 for all the bikes, from the shell service areas on the route?
Thanks in advance ..

You should get a KGS card, for the OGS (drive through) you'll need to leave a $40 deposit. You will get them from immediately before the first toll point, there's usually an office or minibus selling the cards. The minibuses (only these are open out of business hours) will have a big sign on them saying something like KGS SATIS.

Don't worry about queueing at tolls, ride to front and push in.....all bikers do.

Got a KGS sticker from post post office in the end. Easy enough but form was all in Turkish so took a while to work out what was needed. Cost 35TLr, 5 for sticker and 30 for initial top up. We got 3 bikes and was hit and miss if they worked as we went through the tolls. At leased one bike would get a warning but not always the same one!
No problems when we left Turkey for Bulgaria at the border, other than having to get my bike X rayed which was a bit "interesting" riding up the oily metal ramp they use for trucks and aiming for the small concrete square at the top :eek:
Found that on almost all the toll barriers there was a place to get the sticker, usually a PTT, before the tolls but on the main one past Izmir nothing. Also at the Greece/Turkey border nothing but at Turkey/Bulgaria border lots of signs and a place to buy.

Always wondered why we have to pay tolls all around europe and beyond but every foreigner drives here for nothing, strange isnt it

Because you also drive in the UK for nothing!! Maybe you can get UKIP to add introducing tolls on major UK roads to the agenda!!! Dont forget the localsare paying those tolls too!
And the reason Brits pay such high visa fees in many countries is because the UK government charges those countries citizens such high fees!! If the UK gov lowered the fees - so would the others very quickly!

One thing I should have said.....it used to be possible to get through the tolls with 3 bikes and one toll card. You simply bunch together as tight as possible and ride through quickly. The sensor thinks you're a car.

Back
Top Bottom