1190 Airbox issues

stroller

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Been reading on AdvRider about the issues people are still having on the 2014 bikes with dust ingress through the airbox.
I know this seems to be confined to Australia, S Africa etc, and it seems to me that it shouldn't be a problem for us here, especially if just road riding, but I just wondered if anyone thinks differently.

Checked mine, clean as a whistle. But then, desert roads with loads of dusty conditions aren't going to trouble me here.

i wonder if anyone on this side of the pond has found dust in their airbox? i've only ever seen complaints from australia, south africa and the usa. hot places with high ambient temperatures that might be contributory to warping the airbox lid??

anyone heard of an issue in europe, or heard of anyone fitting the unifilter?

i wonder if anyone on this side of the pond has found dust in their airbox? i've only ever seen complaints from australia, south africa and the usa. hot places with high ambient temperatures that might be contributory to warping the airbox lid??

Yes I know someone who fitted the unifilter here in the UK (cost him about £45 shipped) he has a 2013 model and he had a fine layer of dust in his intakes. Plenty of dust here in the summer too when it gets drier.

think i'll be having a look at my airbox in the not too distant future.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8omrGs_LZEE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nothing to do with high ambient temps, 690s in this country had the same problem, except it's not just the lid but the box itself which can warp.
The seal on the unfilter would actually make things worse if it's anything like the one I used (because the seal's thicker and harder) although I did use the Unifliter in Morocco, the bottom seal was siliconed in place and the top with sticky grease

i took a peek inside my airbox yesterday - no trace of any dust and the airbox lid was sealing ok AFAICT.

IMG_2651-X2.jpg

wiped the trumpets with a clean paper towel. before:

IMG_2648-X2.jpg

after:

IMG_2649-X2.jpg

something to keep an eye on maybe. shame it's such a PITA to get at the airbox.

Mine is spotless too. The yanks and Aussies must have some serious dusty trails to ride on. Still, it shouldn't really happen.

checked mine out again today.

definitely small traces of dust in there. nothing i'd be worried about as far as damage is concerned, but appropriate steps taken.

first checked mine at low mileage and it was spotless. i reckon as soon as you start ragging it, the box gets hotter - warps more + higher pressures in the box = contamination.

Had my 1190 serviced which included a leak-down test in August and then took it to France for our 2 week holiday, during the holiday we covered about 2,000 miles, all tarmac roads.

IMG_0062r.jpg

Not very impressive is it for 2,000 miles on tarmac roads?! Interestingly the filter looks clean other than dead flies.

the air's probably going straight over the top of the filter.

Had my 1190 serviced which included a leak-down test in August and then took it to France for our 2 week holiday, during the holiday we covered about 2,000 miles, all tarmac roads.

IMG_0062r.jpg

Not very impressive is it for 2,000 miles on tarmac roads?! Interestingly the filter looks clean other than dead flies.

That doesn't look so good.

Didn't KTM extend warranties on these models on account of this and other problems?

I read on another forum that some dealers in Australia and South Africa are reluctant to trade in 1190's on account of possible engine damage.

Fitting a uni filter seems the only accepted solution until KTM redesign the airbox. I wonder if any revisions have been made for the 2015 models?

the air's probably going straight over the top of the filter.

Inclined to agree with you but problem solved, just fitted the Rottweiler.

Now when it hits 6,000 rpm with the throttle open the induction howl is addictive. In touring mode sound level is OK so won't be a problem.

From where and how much ?

I've been considering the Power Cell set-up.

I've been looking at the Powercell kit as well. Seems a good arrangement and should be as easier install than the Rottweiler.
A lot more expensive than a DNA filter, but more effective I imagine, and no need to worry about having to seal the original filter box lid.
I don't think there any stockists in UK at present, although Zen Overland are considering it.

From where and how much ?

I've been considering the Power Cell set-up.

Zen Overland http://www.zenoverland.com/ktm-1190-adventure.html

I originally bought a Uni but never got round to fitting it as the Rottweiler came along and that to me was the answer. The Power Cell looks neat but you're still left with that useless plastic box filling the space under the tank..

Now when the tank's removed and I look in at the Rotty it's so much tidier and easy to work on. I also built my own baffle to make servicing easier http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25689941&postcount=1216

Oh dear.....stripped the bike down today and now after 8000+ miles! I have found some dirt. Weirdly, the actual airbox is immaculately clean, not one hint of dirt or dust anywhere. The air filter is good, bar some flies and grime on the intake side, otherwise fine. The airbox lid looks like it has kept a good seal too and I cleaned out the intake tunnels and they were spotless. So where is the dirt coming from that I cleaned out of the velocity stacks ?
I've phoned the dealer, sent pics and awaiting a reply.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 638
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 582
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 633
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 579
More pics. The last one shows how much cak was on the stacks and flaps of each inlet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 542
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 520
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg